more aux battery questions (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2012
Burton on Trent
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Winchcom
Exp
tenting,caravans,autotrail cheyenne,bolero, apache. and now Mercedes Autosleeper winchcombe
I have 2 factory fitted (im guessing) AGM BATTERIES on my van, one aux and one engine battery. I was looking today and found what looks like a loom connector that allows a second battery to be fitted - which is nice.. can someone confirm thats what it is - it seems like it as there is the same connector going to to the built in battery . i have mixed feeling about fitting another as i only sometimes need aux power at aires ect but next year i will go to italy and i dont have a clue what i will find there yet. I also now have a 100w solar panel on the roof, but i ask the question as i have a spare agm battery off the wifes car suddenly and it seems a shame not to use it.
The second question is..
if the spare battery isnt as good as the factory battery, will it pull it down ? or will it just not be good as if it was 2 new batteries ?
the third question is - whats wrong with banner batteries ?
im torn whether to fit it - just cus i can - but extra weight ect ..

comments please.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I doubt you could assume the loom connector is for a second battery, you'd need to trace the wiring.
Adding a used second battery is probably not a good idea either, if it's past it's best it will pull down the existing battery.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
If the two you have are the same type I would connect them together in parallel, plus to plus neg to neg. Then I would buy a new engine battery or use one you have if it’s suitable.
You can’t have too much battery power especially in Europe.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
but next year i will go to italy and i dont have a clue what i will find there yet
You will find campsites just like ours. We went to Pompeii and stayed in a campsite (with EHU) right outside the main entrance (literaly a hop skip and a jump from the entrance turnstyles)
Other places we stayed were more like French Aires. (outskirts of Rome with bus service to town, etc)

Enjoy your trip.
the third question is - whats wrong with banner batteries ?
Nothing, if you treat them correctly. Ours was still going strong after 6 years. I only changed it because I wanted to run an Inverter with a high current draw for air con etc. (and I fancied learning about lithium)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The starter battery will be a standard lead acid not AGM.

Idealy when adding a second battery it should within a year of the same age as the first battery. Car batteries are not really suitable for leisure use.

whats wrong with banner batteries ?
The are rubbish particularly the AGM's I had 2 fail in 18 months & they don't honor their warranty.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
My Autotrail had the same plug for connecting a 2nd battery. However, I chose not to use it, and just connected a 2nd in parallel. I rarely use the onboard charger, as I have solar and a B2B connected straight to the batteries.

John H.

Free Member
Apr 2, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
A long time
EHU in Italy often only 3 amp .
Certainly worth bearing in mind. Just enough to charge the batteries, but no more, we were told on one occaison when I switched on the air con :oops:

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I would do a battery check first make sure it's a good battery either with a charger and see if it keeps charging for say 12 hours, or connect it to a known appliance and see if it continues to discharge to 50% ok.

Then your good to go.

Cheers James

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
You need to buy an AT specific additional harness to attach a 2nd leisure battery. If you've never replaced the leisure battery it'll be a standard Banner lead acid type, probably 110Ah.

It's not wise to mix types - Lead acid, AGM, Gel etc as they require differing voltage charges.

A second Banner 110Ah will cost around £108, additional harness from Sargent, product No 50079 -16. £29.

You'd then need to look at an additional battery box which can be as little as a tenner and fix it securely to the motorhome.

I'd budget around £150 for the project.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back