Montgenèvre Aire question (1 Viewer)

Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
We are thinking of going to Montgenevre Aire pre Christmas, aiming to arrive Sunday 17th or Monday 18th December. Sounds like an excellent spot from my readings on here and elsewhere.

Do people think it is likely that we will have difficulty getting in? We are going with kids and I really don't want to have to move to a backup plan last minute.

We are already booked into La Plagne Aire for Feb half term as wanted the guaranteed access but would like somewhere different for this trip. I have never been skiing this time of year so unsure how busy it gets.

All intel much appreciated as well as any top tips for this area. Interested to know if people think we might be better off arriving Sunday or Monday?

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
A good in depth review of it here.
Your looking at the weekend before Christmas so probably going to be busy, personally I would plan to arrive Sunday afternoon and hope to get a space freed up by weekend skiers leaving.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
A good in depth review of it here.
Your looking at the weekend before Christmas so probably going to be busy, personally I would plan to arrive Sunday afternoon and hope to get a space freed up by weekend skiers leaving.
thank you for the reply, yes have seen the snomadsites info and use it often, looking forward to it being fixed as kind of hard to read but still a great resource.

Week before Christmas as you say, just not sure it is peak season though really? Snow is a bit sketchy and I can imagine the people coming for Christmas will be a bit later that week. 🤞

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Lots of French will take the opportunity to be in a ski resort over Christmas. We have stayed in the van in Montgenevre aire a couple of times.

It does get busy at weekends but lots leave Sunday night . It’s a great spot for enjoying Montgenevre and there is plenty to do in the resort.

You can’t stay in the aire for more than 7 nights , well you can but the rate increases a lot ! However, you can pay and exit and come back in on a new ticket.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Well Christmas day is on Sunday so people will probably arrive Thursday/Friday maybe? It's guesswork really. 🤷 There a reasonable amount of snow in some resorts now, I have flights booked for a few days in Verbier on the 14th but will be watching the weather/snow over right up until the day before deciding to go......or not 😕

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Well Christmas day is on Sunday so people will probably arrive Thursday/Friday maybe? It's guesswork really. 🤷
It’s a very large aire I would guess arriving Wednesday or Thursday would see you fine .

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
It’s a very large aire I would guess arriving Wednesday or Thursday would see you fine .
I'm thinking we arrive in the morning on the Monday and there should be plenty of space from the Sunday night exodus. Will keep an eye on the snow reports as well

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
I'm thinking we arrive in the morning on the Monday and there should be plenty of space from the Sunday night exodus. Will keep an eye on the snow reports as well
I really don’t think you would have any problem arriving that early Christmas week.

They do a great job of keeping the resort roads snow free and regularly come through the aire if there has been a dump of snow to keep it accessible.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have been and skied Montgenve many a time. I also used to do a lot with the kids and know how stressful it can be. If you arrive and you can not get in, you can't get in. You might be ok, you might not. You have to treat it as an adventure and embrace it. sestriere Is not far away if you don't get a place, https://www.sestriere-online.com/
Drive up there is something to behold mind so don't go in poor conditions.

I am sure you will find a space at some point at Montgenve but don't bank on electric and rest assured, if there is no space for you there will be no space for others who will all be in the same boat and parked up somewhere, just do as the locals do.
so message would be prepare for every eventuality, one year we went to Les Deux Alps over xmas and new year having been told we would never get a space. We could have had 3 for every night we were there, all cocky the next year couldn't get in for love or money!!

keep us informed how you get on, whatever happens it will be a great experience for sure. I sort of miss it nowadays but also like the luxury of going outside of school holidays and expensive quality campsites, something we could never afforded when the kids were young.

enjoy

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
thanks haganap I'm liking the positive vibes! We have done a couple of ski trips with the kids at campsites but keen to try an Aire now. Will only be there for 3 full days skiing so think we can survive with out electricity, will have plenty of gas.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
A long way for 3 days skiing but u should be okay, squeeze yourself between the van parked at an unusual angle.

Keep a look out as snow is expected to dump around Friday, you may find places like La rousses, la Bresse can offer you a quick break ooooops i meant ski run
1701196568653.png

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
There is a camping car park in L’Argentiere not far away if you get stuck. There are also several Aires nearby, I know the area well and there is always somewhere to park, even if you end up near a busy road, there is somewhere to park.

Further into the Ecrin National Park is also Vallouise, Risoul and Vars, all of them also have Aire’s and shuttle buses from lower down if you stop in the valley.

I am very jealous, have great fun.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
A long way for 3 days skiing but u should be okay
I think 3 proper days of skiing with no faffing around is a nice amount. i.e. no hiring of kit or buying passes, will get any of that done the day we arrive. Also, do like a leisurely journey with an evening in a french restaurant en route so for me the holiday has already started.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I think 3 proper days of skiing with no faffing around is a nice amount. i.e. no hiring of kit or buying passes, will get any of that done the day we arrive. Also, do like a leisurely journey with an evening in a french restaurant en route so for me the holiday has already started.
We are hoping to have a few days Easter at Puy-St-Vincent down the road.

Never took the Motorhome skiing before, we usually go there in the Summer for the cycling, walking and climbing. Never have I been anywhere with so much to do as the Ecrin National Park.

Hope it snows, lots!

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Montgenevre is great - go there
:giggle:
Its mostly Italians there at the weekends - it does get crazy busy - ski in and ski out from the van - cant beat it - don't understimate the height of this particular aire in terms of battery usage/cold effect on the van without being able to plug in unless you have a gennnie of course?
Have fun

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Its mostly Italians there at the weekends - it does get crazy busy - ski in and ski out from the van - cant beat it - don't understimate the height of this particular aire in terms of battery usage/cold effect on the van without being able to plug in unless you have a gennnie of course?
Have fun
220 gennies running at the same time would be interesting to observe 😬. (Just joking, I'm not anti Genny)

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Have fun
Thanks for the intel. I wasn't planning on using a gennie, I do have one though, is it fairly common for people to run them? Assuming I have plenty of gas (I know we will use a lot from past experience) and electric will be just for lights (all led), charging phones and the fan for the heating I thought I would be ok? 200W solar if there is any sun and I can keep them clear. I'm guessing I might be able to get to plug in at some point.

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Been a while since we skied from the van - ACL reconstruction after a wipeout :( I don't want to teach you to suck eggs as I am sure you will be prepared and all OK?
Sleep low and ski high is the easiest way - partcularly with kids - but then you miss some fantastic places like Montgenevre - We have survived Les Saises similar altitude - no solar - one leisure battery - no gennie -just to ski there for a few days - But I wouldn't recomend it with kids - Montgenevre is much much better -if you can get on the hook up? - at that altitude if you get a really cold spell it will test your van and preperation to the limits - So you can survive without the hook up - If you have a gennie then I personally I would take it even if you never use it - Your gas won't be any use without battery - your solar similar in bad weather when you really need it - and you will only have a few hours anyway at that time of year.
We have struggled at Montgenvre even on electric in very cold weather- did what the French did - cardboard over all the front of van (Burstner) and covered the lot in snow for extra insulation - just plan for no hook up and cold temps - and fingers crossed you get sunny warm weather and Great Skiing - Enjoy planning to go - and enjoy the slopes there (Triple check your accident insurance and ski bindings ;)

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Been a while since we skied from the van - ACL reconstruction after a wipeout :( I don't want to teach you to suck eggs as I am sure you will be prepared and all OK?
Sleep low and ski high is the easiest way - partcularly with kids - but then you miss some fantastic places like Montgenevre - We have survived Les Saises similar altitude - no solar - one leisure battery - no gennie -just to ski there for a few days - But I wouldn't recomend it with kids - Montgenevre is much much better -if you can get on the hook up? - at that altitude if you get a really cold spell it will test your van and preperation to the limits - So you can survive without the hook up - If you have a gennie then I personally I would take it even if you never use it - Your gas won't be any use without battery - your solar similar in bad weather when you really need it - and you will only have a few hours anyway at that time of year.
We have struggled at Montgenvre even on electric in very cold weather- did what the French did - cardboard over all the front of van (Burstner) and covered the lot in snow for extra insulation - just plan for no hook up and cold temps - and fingers crossed you get sunny warm weather and Great Skiing - Enjoy planning to go - and enjoy the slopes there (Triple check your accident insurance and ski bindings ;)
I think we have a reasonable idea of what to expect and I do like planning these things. It's a definite step-up in adventure vs the last couple of years. Previously we have stayed in Samoens and Grand Bornand in feb, those were in campsites with hook-up, both much lower altitude (around 1000m vs 1860m of Montgenevre). I have an inner and outer windscreen cover but good to know about the cardboard trick if we need more ;)

I dislike: Gondolas, Ski buses and walking with children/skis/boots so I'm hoping this will mean none of that so it is all a trade-off.

Reading between the lines I don't think it will be a problem getting hook-up, worst case maybe a day without but I am sure at some point we will be able to plug in.

Anyway, thanks all for the help and info and will keep you posted if we do go and how we get on.

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
Regarding gennies on ski aires the convention we've noticed is that running one for two or three hours late afternoon after skiing is accepted but most people switch off by about 8pm so everyone can enjoy a peaceful evening. Also, if you do get a hook up, which I'm sure you will , be prepared to share it so everyone can keep their batteries charged. At Montgenevre one Friday many years ago we came back from skiing late afternoon to find the previously quiet aire rammed with Italian vans up for the weekend and every hook up point was sporting splitters branching from splitters. There were 7 of us sharing the one hook up point in the end but luckily it didn't trip out so I can only assume everyone was sticking to battery charging only.

OP
OP
Vintner
Aug 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
New owner
Exp
new
Good point, I'm going to order a splitter right now, thanks Dart . Thinking about it, I definitely won't be taking the generator though, too tight on weight. Good to know the etiquette for future escapades though.

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Well Christmas day is on Sunday so people will probably arrive Thursday/Friday maybe? It's guesswork really. 🤷 There a reasonable amount of snow in some resorts now, I have flights booked for a few days in Verbier on the 14th but will be watching the weather/snow over right up until the day before deciding to go......or not 😕
Daughter lives in Geneva and skied Verbier on Sunday. Only two lifts open but plenty snow and lots more forecast apparently so I suspect all the resorts and the aires will be busy at Christmas.

May 6, 2014
France
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma 841
Exp
since 2006
The worst I’ve seen it there was NYE 2018. Arriving as early as you are won’t be an issue

IMG_0675.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back