Montenegro, Kosova, Serbia. Albania etc tour -How easy/safe is it? (1 Viewer)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
What's it like in this area? Campsites, Aires, off grid? Is it safe, are the roads ok for a 7.5 metre motorhome?. I've driven to Croatia before (Car not MH) - Zagreb, Split and a bit further south on the coast but not the other countries so interested in feedback.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Worth checking the FCO website for alerts but I don't think there are any particular difficulties.
Just usual precautions as they are rather more rustic than developed EU countries

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
We are avoiding those 4 countries and heading to Turkey, after touring Western Europe for around 80 days, via Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria.

This is purely because our vehicle insurance doesn't cover us without buying an additional policy, which you can buy at the border if you can't get it sorted in the UK. Not sure if it would be worth the paper it's written on however??

OP
OP
VXman
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
anywhere towards Eastern Europe is dodgy this year with Putin's war mongering

It's 1500 miles to the Ukraine/Russia border from Montenegro so I don't expect that to be the issue. Talking in general terms. Worth checking the FCO website for alerts but I don't think there are any particular difficulties.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
We did two trip to Greece in 2016 and 2017, along the Adriatic coast, we did lots of research, we concluded that lots of folk who had never been were advising that it was a bad idea.
Sure insurance is a problem in non EU countries and then there are the boogie men to worry about plus the awful roads, however we went ahead albeit with only border (third party at best) insurance in Albania and Montenegro.
We had a brilliant time, met nothing but kindness and the countries are beautiful. If you have it in you just Do IT.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Croatia not a problem , kosova no idea, serbia ...i read quite a few scare stories of problems with border guards , searches, detained , bribes etc ....but ive also spoke in person to people who had no issues in serbia ...if you have a dog though you need titre test as they are very strict . Montenegro you can no longer buy insurance at the border from august 2021 they no longer sell it so if your own insurance company does not cover you then you're stuck i risked it and drove through over 3 days but if id had an accident who knows what would have happened. Albania you can buy the insurance at the border , its 3rd party only and for small vans its ā‚¬49 for 15 days which is the minimum you can buy ....be aware they tried to charge me ā‚¬89 for my iveco and it was only after me arguing with him that it was under 3500kg he finally gave me it for ā‚¬49 .....not sure how good it would have been anyway had i needed it. I went through these countries in november ....i didn't think much of Albania if im honest it rained all the time and what i saw wasn't something id rush back to . Montenegro from what i saw would be lovely in spring summer but not winter. Ill be returning through Bulgaria and Romania which ive not been to before but from pics ive seen they look more attractive. Certainly for winter time none of these countries are ideal thats for sure. Greece is beautiful but with the 90 days now it is a pain for winter travel if you need to extend it like im doing. Even turkey has had bad weather this year and they got heavy snow again yesterday same as greece.

Spring summer autumn ..... different ballgame

Mar 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend 7057
Exp
We are considering going to Croatia this year also. The logistics of getting there from the UK are fairly straight forward however I am struggling to find a definitive answer as what the Covid entry requirements are, even after looking on the FCO web site and the Croatian tourist/government sites. Can anyone shed any light on this?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We are considering going to Croatia this year also. The logistics of getting there from the UK are fairly straight forward however I am struggling to find a definitive answer as what the Covid entry requirements are, even after looking on the FCO web site and the Croatian tourist/government sites. Can anyone shed any light on this?
As they constantly change, I would wait until nearer the time AND have a backup destination in mind aswell!

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Without borders you are unlikely to be asked what your status is, we have only been asked to show our nhs app in some restaurants and surprisingly in a Burger King when we did a quick pit stop in Germany.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It's 1500 miles to the Ukraine/Russia border from Montenegro so I don't expect that to be the issue. Talking in general terms. Worth checking the FCO website for alerts but I don't think there are any particular difficulties.
Thatā€™s about 5/6 minutes travelling time for an out of control cruise missile šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ™€šŸ˜‰

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
When we crossed into Croatia from Slovenia (Dec last year) we had to show our UK Covid certificates to the Border Guard. At that time we had 2/2 vaccinations which was fine provided it was no more than 9 months after the second vaccination. We subsequently got our third vaccination done in Croatia and obtained an EU Digital Covid Certificate to prove it. I think if you have proof of 3 vaccinations you will have no problems entering Croatia.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Without borders you are unlikely to be asked what your status is, we have only been asked to show our nhs app in some restaurants and surprisingly in a Burger King when we did a quick pit stop in Germany.
There are borders at croatia as it isn't in Shengen. You will be asked for covid status and passport will be scanned

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We have traveled most of those countries and never had any issues. Quite the opposite. Those countries are nowhere near to Ukraine. Plenty of cheap camping outside of peak times, not too much wild camping though. Go for it.
Phil

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We had to show ours everywhere in Germany, they even brought a rule in whilst we was there by having to have ID accompanying the NHS app. Mrs Westy got turfed out the Xmas shop cos she didnā€™t have any ID on her, by the same person that let her in the day before, luckily I had my licence on me and the bill in the Xmas shop was considerably loweršŸ˜‰šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back