Mobile phone ... small computer to me! (5 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hello You Knowledgeable People!

I know it's all about computers on here but my phone is a mystery to me at times.

As I am not a Nanny anymore I am now a part time unemployed person. When I call the devoted service with my mobile HTC U11 , I'm asked at some point to give my identification number which has the letter D in. And I can't manage to do this , which is a problem as I can't have my advisor online.
I've tried all the possible ways I could think of, such as changing keyboard to have numbers and letters. No chance, once I press the icone "phone" the keyboard goes back to numbers only. BUT next to each number are letters , just like in the old time with the first mobile phones like Blackberry. You had to press the same button up to the required letter. So I tried that... Nope! I tried to give a long press... Nope, didn't work either. I tried to find a Menu, in case it could be done differently, no chance at all there too.
I've ask on internet, and obviously I am not the only one to be in trouble with Android . Apparently Apple doesn't have this issue.

Who will find the solution?? Relying on you brainy people !

TIA Frankie :blush::blush::lips:

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Hi.
Can you take screenshots on your phone?
On my Motorola form example in settings you can ask for Three Finger Press - do this on anything but a banking app and it captures a picture of what you see.
Many other phones you press power and volume down key.

Do this on the screen you are stuck on and post it here for better help?
Or open an email, type the code you want to enter and highlight and cut and paste into the box you are struggling with?

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
In order to let you see the different screens I get each time I try something different, I called with my private number (on a HTC U11 just the same) my usual number , and tried the different things I thought of.

1) The screen I get when I have the service online
2) The one I have when I press the keyboard icone (bottom left) to try and have one with letters on, and I only get numbers with letters next to each number
3) The one I would like to have instead
4) The one I have when I try the 3 little points (bottom right)

5) My different tries : long press, short press up the the required letter ( here should be 2 times pressing to the letter D), press with the star , press with hashtag. Nothing works whatever I try!) My different tries : long press, short press up the the required letter ( here should be 2 times pressing to the letter D), press with the star , press with hashtag. Nothing works whatever I try!

Screenshot_20240523-124035[1].png

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I suppose you have tried this but what happens if you press the keyboard icon on the left corner?
Did it, second pic I think. It goes back to Numbers keyboard

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You could try typing it into a different app, then copying it to the clipboard.

Then go to their app, and when it asks, paste it in rather than trying to type it.

I know it doesn't directly fix the problem, but gets you going?

Sorry I know nothing about phones as I avoid using them as much as I can, I hate the damn things.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I think The system should know when you press 3 that it is a d...though it won't show on your phone

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I hate the damn things.
I feel the same .... about the computers!

I'll try first to understand how I could do what you suggest, and then try it and see if it works. Deffo not now, stadium requires me every 2 minutes or so at the gate, can't think properly right now! But thanks , it might work who knows

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I think The system should know when you press 3 that it is a d...though it won't show on your phone
This is why I've called my private number ! To see if it was actually showing it, ... But no, it doesn't! Also, I've tried it online with the service, and no result!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I feel the same .... about the computers!

I'll try first to understand how I could do what you suggest, and then try it and see if it works. Deffo not now, stadium requires me every 2 minutes or so at the gate, can't think properly right now! But thanks , it might work who knows
On Android. To copy, you press and and hold on the screen on the word to copy. That should highlight the word. But if it is not accurate you can move the start and end markers. Then click the Copy button.

In the application you want to past into. Touch the screen and hold your finger in place until the dialog pops up then click paste.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
On Android. To copy, you press and and hold on the screen on the word to copy. That should highlight the word. But if it is not accurate you can move the start and end markers. Then click the Copy button.

In the application you want to past into. Touch the screen and hold your finger in place until the dialog pops up then click paste.
Karl it's not an application I'm on. A very normal phone call, I doubt it will work . It just says : to do this press 1 to do that press 2 , and then please enter your indentifying number or ...blablabla whatever.... which takes me to another service. I think only pressing does the job, but will try just in case!

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I don't think you can change to numbers as it's the calling keypad you are on. If you are asked for letters on this keypad you pres the key once for the first letter No 7 pressed once will be P, twice Q and so forth. It does not register on the screen as a letter but can be recognised by the software of whoever you are calling. This is only used on a call.

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I don't think you can change to numbers as it's the calling keypad you are on. If you are asked for letters on this keypad you pres the key once for the first letter No 7 pressed once will be P, twice Q and so forth. It does not register on the screen as a letter but can be recognised by the software of whoever you are calling. This is only used on a call.
I've tried that online with the vocal server, and it didn't work. It just sent me back to the beginning. I tried a few times doing different things but no result.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've tried that online with the vocal server, and it didn't work. It just sent me back to the beginning. I tried a few times doing different things but no result.
I don't know what you are trying to contact but havnt they got an online thing that you can use without being on the actual phone.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Karl it's not an application I'm on. A very normal phone call, I doubt it will work . It just says : to do this press 1 to do that press 2 , and then please enter your indentifying number or ...blablabla whatever.... which takes me to another service. I think only pressing does the job, but will try just in case!
Ahh. If I am understanding you correctly. If this is a voice call there is no DTMF tones for letters. So just skip the letter and use the numbers.

Is the letter at the start or end? or in the middle?

Or am I still misunderstanding? Sorry :(

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: Or perhaps they are asking for a different code? For instance in the UK each of us have an NI number. Which contains numbers and letter. But a reference number may be given when dealing with HMRC which is independent of your NI ID. and relates to the specific issue? I hope that makes sense?

OP
OP
yodeli
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I don't know what you are trying to contact but havnt they got an online thing that you can use without being on the actual phone.
I need to contact my unemployement advisor. So when you need a very quick answer to a precise question, going on their website can take ages to have an answer. At the moment I'm always obliged to do as if I was not unemployed, then the person who answers, lets my advisor know I need her. He dials her code number and I can have her online. It just takes a long time, but still less than 2 or 3 days by email

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Starting with 7 numbers; letter D; and 2 numbers again. Nothing to do with any other number, be it on Id papers or social security.
ok. In which case. Could it be the letter related to the number? Just guessing now :(

1716472701492.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back