Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Mrs Zaskar has a Motorola Android phone on Tesco mobile which appears to use a micro sim as it's much smaller than the Vodafone sim in my old Nokia brick.

The campsite we're going to in Spain this winter (been before) has now decided to charge for internet on it's "Grand Comfort" pitches and it's going to work out at 80 -90 Euros for the time we're there which is just not on considering neither of us is into social media or streaming.

All we want is to be able to................
1. Check for e-mails (mainly family)
2. Have a quick (and I mean quick) look at this Forum.
3. Be able to Google for events and local sites whilst we're out in the car.

A good friend who has a casa on the site has said we can piggy back off his for what we want but we don't like taking advantage of people so, could somebody recommend a cheap deal where we're not looking for mega gigs worth of data/time.

Many thanks.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I use a Three (3) 12 month Sim. You get 12 Gb to use over a period of 12 months - UK or Europe. Always found it to be plenty for similar to what you are planning to use it for. I buy mine from MyMemory in the Channel Islands as cheaper than from 3 direct.

Denise

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We use a Huwaii mufi and 3e, 12gb sim card, don't have many issues. Also use the local bars and restraunts WiFi to catch up with fun etc. You just have to remember the passwords, lol.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use an earlier model of this in the link below and purchase a card from the phone company called 3 who seem to be one of the best to handle data. If you visit a 3 phone shop and tell them what you need it for they will advise on what type of card is required.

Amazon product ASIN B0179F9FI6

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Agree, 3 worked fine for us in Spain.

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Mrs Zaskar has a Motorola Android phone on Tesco mobile which appears to use a micro sim as it's much smaller than the Vodafone sim in my old Nokia brick.
There are three sim sizes.

My Huawei Mifi box takes the largest size.
When you order a new sim you’ll get the largest size but the other sizes are there.
You punch out the size you need.
? haven’t tried it but if you keep the parts you could rebuild the other sizes if you need to transfer the sim to other devices that of course are one of the other two sizes ☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
In my phone I use Plus Net they have some very good deals. In the van I have a mifi and normally use a Vodafone PAYG data sim £25 for 15 GB it lasts 90 but usually lasts us about 3 weeks if we are very carefull. Gave up with Three far too slow when roaming.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Very many thanks for all the info guys. looking into it all and will let you know what we decide and how we get on with it.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Don’t forget to look at sky monthly data rolls over for 3 years

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The "best" deals are always monthly contracts. But unless you are using it for (most of) the year you'll inevitably be "wasting" a few months - okay if you can be bothered you can always cancel and restart at a later time.

That's why, for us, the 3 Pay-as-you-go deal overall works best. As the 12gb version is valid for 12 months, not being particularly heavy data users it means we've got internet pretty well whenever we need it and carrying a spare sim means we never run out. The 24gb version lasts for two years and actually works out cheaper per mb - it's the deal we use. Just have to make sure we use it in the UK in between trips to avoid their use limitations.

A local sim card is, of course, a good alternative, if you're staying in that country and we've tried it, but as we tour around quite a lot it either doesn't last long enough or we leave the country. The only exception as far as we are concerned is Morocco, where 3 doesn't provide a service - then we buy a local sim card, or top up the one we've already got (it's cheap, fast and reliable everywhere in Morocco).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back