Mobile data advice please.

Discussion in 'Web Connections' started by Clarky, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +30,195
    For those who have a Three pre-loaded sim (3gb, 12gb or 24gb) make sure you check when you have to 'activate' it by as they do have a finite life even when unused.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    Thanks Mike
    Yes, as per my OP I intend to up the data allowance from my present £19pm for 16GB to Vodafones latest deal which seems quite good value.
    I think 50GB per month should be enough, even for Kate's cricket addiction. :D:D

Richard.

3. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    Just an update on this thread.
    I got what I considered a good deal from Vodafone for phone data to allow me to download TV in sufficient quantity to watch F1 and cricket when we are in the van.
    I rang Vodafone and spoke to a very helpful northern lass who rummaged in their system and found me a deal, not to be found on their website, for 65GB data :Eeek:+ unlimited calls and texts for £25 on a 12 month contract. Not bad I think!
    I was almost set on going the NowTV route then realised that you can only watch in the EU for a maximum of 30 days before having to reset by using it back in the UK. As we often go away for 6 weeks that wouldn't do.
    In the end I bit the bullet and went back to Sky and their sports package on the Q system.
    I can download content to my iPad to watch while away and stream live to my laptop via the phone for 37 days (5 and a bit weeks).
    The Memsahib will be happy with the cricket, particularly as its an Ashes year, and we will both enjoy plenty of live F1.

Richard.

• Like it Like it x 3
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  4. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,824
    You got a much better deal than me from Vodafone but if you had insisted on a waiver to the 3 months limit and obtained it in writing, as I and others have done, you would have bagged a bargain.

I have been in Europe since the beginning of September without problem and I know of another funster who has used the Vodafone deal for much longer.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ratings:
    +9,824
    How would I go about finding that information?

6. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,422
    @Minxy Girl How do you check. I can’t see anything on the ones I have?

7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +25,551
    If you are using a UKsim if should work, it won't work with a local sim or wifi without using a VPN.

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Ratings:
    +25,551
  9. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +30,195
    No idea how you check, I suppose you could ring Three and give them the number off the pack and they should be able to tell you when you have to activate it by so you don't lose it, but I met someone whilst on holiday who didn't know and when he tried to use his sealed 24gb one the 'use by date' had passed! He wasn't a happy bunny.:(

10. Bustup15

Bustup15 Funster

Ratings:
    +143
    Not sure you are correct about 3 unless U.K. and Europe are treated differently by 3. I switched to 3 to get their unlimited download (UK) recently and tether my phone to a smart tv to stream iplayer and the like. Used 20+ GB last month with no issues. I think I'm correct to say limit of about 20gb in Europe.

11. Jenben

Jenben Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +34,422
    Sorry for the thread hijack, but just a quick update for @matamoros and @Minxy Girl . I just checked with 3 re expiring data SIMs. They say there is no cut off date for activating them, but once done there can’t be a gap in usage of more than 6 months.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like it Like it x 1
  12. Mr Chrysalis

Mr Chrysalis Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +19,777
    We have a Sky subscription and multi room, so we have 2 boxes. One stays at home in the TV room, the other lives in the Moho connected to the Oyster dish with twin LNB. We get the same choice wherever we are, but have to avoid big overhanging trees! It costs us nothing extra, as the second box would be in the bedroom at home if it wasn’t in the van. I can put it back in the bedroom if I wanted to but we rarely want TV in the bedroom at home. ( I don’t think this would work with the new Sky Q boxes, as they are all connected by the same WiFi network)

13. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    Yes. Three network treat the UK and Europe differently.
    You are quite correct that you can tether while in the UK but once you cross the channel it is all different. No tethering available in Europe and you are limited to 3G. Try hooking up to a 4G service and you will just be told 'Not Available'.

Richard.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    Correct. The new Q box's need a different LNB and use your Wi-fi to link together. They are the only box that Sky supply now and won't work away from home. The viewing card is also different so can't be used in an older box.
    You can use Sky Go to get the channels you subscribe to when away from home via mobile/wi-fi.

Richard.

15. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +30,195
    Please check before posting info ... Three dropped the tethering restriction back in March 2018 which I reported on this forum:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...go-roam-limits-in-the-eu.187749/#post-3104720

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...oves-tethering-caps-from-4g-mobile-plans.html

16. Clarky

Clarky Funster

Ratings:
    +6,813
    Oops! Sorry boss. Missed that. :doh:
    Haven't been using Three for the last year so not up to speed

I still have an unused Three sim for the mi-fi but have been holding it as a reserve. Must get round to using it sometime.

Richard.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

Ratings:
    +30,195
    Write out 100 times ... "I must read the forum posts by Minxy Girl regularly" ... :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Ratings:
    +9,121
    I agree about the 3G only, but, if you have a Data only SIM in a mifi you can tether.