Mobile data advice please. (1 Viewer)

Feb 2, 2018
Southampton
Funster No
That's why I want to try and get it via Sky Sport.
It appears that Now TV have 'passes' that you purchase for a day, weekend or month that will give access to Sky Sport and you can select your channels.
I was hoping that someone had knowledge of how well it works and is it worth using or a waste of time.

Like you, I have tried watching F1 on RTL but the German commentary drives me mad.

Richard.

Hi Richard, I have used now tv passes to watch sky, and it worked a treat. That was only in the UK though, so I'm not sure if you'll get 'not available...' when abroad. As has been mentioned before, a VPN could resolve that.
I like to watch rugby union, but at the moment the premiership is only available on bt sport, and the only way to watch is if you buy a monthly contract SIM as far as I'm aware. Unless anyone knows better?
We are off to Europe shortly and my partner is a Chelsea fan so we need to access both bt sport and sky, which could work out expensive
Cheers, Tim

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Richard, I have used now tv passes to watch sky, and it worked a treat. That was only in the UK though, so I'm not sure if you'll get 'not available...' when abroad. As has been mentioned before, a VPN could resolve that.
I like to watch rugby union, but at the moment the premiership is only available on bt sport, and the only way to watch is if you buy a monthly contract SIM as far as I'm aware. Unless anyone knows better?
We are off to Europe shortly and my partner is a Chelsea fan so we need to access both bt sport and sky, which could work out expensive
Cheers, Tim
Thanks for that Tim.
If I download NowTV to my phone I assume that I can still tether and watch on the laptop or iPad.
Looking through their website its all a bit opaque.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

juwlz

Free Member
Sep 30, 2008
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We've been using NowTV at home for the past few years to watch the F1 when the timing of the highlights has been stupidly late at night, and we'll be using it much more in the coming year, now that only the British Grand Prix will be live on free to air TV.

I'm afraid I can't help with availability abroad, as that's not something I've tried, but in general, we've always just used a day pass (24 hours starting from when you activate it) for the race itself up until now, although for the coming season, we'll be checking the dates and buying either a week or a month pass, depending on how and when the race dates fall, and what's cheapest overall. (Day pass £7.99, Week pass £12.99 and month pass £33.99 - so if there are more than 2 races in a month, we'll get a month pass; otherwise it'll be week passes just for the weeks when there are races.) I assume that week passes work the same way (i.e. 7*24 hours from time of activation); what I'm not sure about is how they define a month (calendar month, 28 days, 30 days ...).

What we haven't found is any way to record NowTV if the race is on at a time when we can't watch live, but if I remember correctly, they do seem to re-run the races quite a lot after the live showing, so "catch up" shouldn't be too much of a problem, I think. Not sure how that'll work for the cricket though.

We usually watch via our PS3 (because we already have one hooked up to the AV system at home, and there's a NowTV app for it), but there are a number of options if you have a TV in your motorhome, which will be easier than casting/mirroring from a phone or tablet.

Often the cheapest way to get started with NowTV is to keep an eye on Amazon and elsewhere (including high street shops) for a NowTV box or NowTV stick with a Sports bundle. You don't have to activate the pass until you're ready to watch, so the start date isn't an issue. Not only will that give you a convenient way to watch on the big screen (using your phone / MiFi as a hotspot for the data), but it will also allow you to use your smaller devices (laptop, tablet or even phone) to watch more privately if you don't want to use the TV at any given time. The NowTV stick is about the size of a USB drive, plus a small remote control, so not exactly large or heavy to carry around!

From https://account.nowtv.com/device-management
When you first set up your account, you can add up to 4 devices (and watch on 2 at the same time).
After you've added your first 4 devices, you can swap 1 device every calendar month.

It looks as though the NowTV stick is actually a mini Roku, so gives you access to other services like Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc on your TV too - see https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-now-tv-box-stick for a full list. And it has a voice enabled remote control! The only "obvious" TV related apps that the stick doesn't have are Amazon TV and Google's Chromecast.
https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick
https://www.nowtv.com/stick-bundles
There's a bundle direct from Sky which gives you both the stick and a month's sports pass for £29.99 - so it's actually cheaper to buy a stick than to just buy your first month's pass by itself - which really makes it a no-brainer. You may find even better value bundles elsewhere. I've just had a quick look on Amazon, and although there are currently a selection of good value bundles with Cinema and Entertainment month passes, there's nothing much for Sports at the moment. They do tend to come and go though. And there is currently an offer for just a month's sports pass (without a stick) for £24.99 - which makes it cheaper than just 2 one week passes - with warnings that you need to remember to cancel once the month is up, or you automatically get charged at the full rate for the next month. I can't comment on that, as I haven't tried it.

This is speculation, as it's not something I've tried: If you can bear the waste, I expect that what you actually physically get is a stick and a voucher to activate the pass on your account, rather than a stick with the bundle somehow pre-enabled and ready to activate, so another way to get cheap month passes would be to buy a NowTV stick and throwing it away each month, and just use the activation voucher that comes with it.

Given the early morning starts for some of the F1 season, I think we'll be getting a NowTV stick with a pass for the bedroom TV this year - which we can take away in the Motorhome too (y)

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We've been using NowTV at home for the past few years to watch the F1 when the timing of the highlights has been stupidly late at night, and we'll be using it much more in the coming year, now that only the British Grand Prix will be live on free to air TV.

I'm afraid I can't help with availability abroad, as that's not something I've tried, but in general, we've always just used a day pass (24 hours starting from when you activate it) for the race itself up until now, although for the coming season, we'll be checking the dates and buying either a week or a month pass, depending on how and when the race dates fall, and what's cheapest overall. (Day pass £7.99, Week pass £12.99 and month pass £33.99 - so if there are more than 2 races in a month, we'll get a month pass; otherwise it'll be week passes just for the weeks when there are races.) I assume that week passes work the same way (i.e. 7*24 hours from time of activation); what I'm not sure about is how they define a month (calendar month, 28 days, 30 days ...).

What we haven't found is any way to record NowTV if the race is on at a time when we can't watch live, but if I remember correctly, they do seem to re-run the races quite a lot after the live showing, so "catch up" shouldn't be too much of a problem, I think. Not sure how that'll work for the cricket though.

We usually watch via our PS3 (because we already have one hooked up to the AV system at home, and there's a NowTV app for it), but there are a number of options if you have a TV in your motorhome, which will be easier than casting/mirroring from a phone or tablet.

Often the cheapest way to get started with NowTV is to keep an eye on Amazon and elsewhere (including high street shops) for a NowTV box or NowTV stick with a Sports bundle. You don't have to activate the pass until you're ready to watch, so the start date isn't an issue. Not only will that give you a convenient way to watch on the big screen (using your phone / MiFi as a hotspot for the data), but it will also allow you to use your smaller devices (laptop, tablet or even phone) to watch more privately if you don't want to use the TV at any given time. The NowTV stick is about the size of a USB drive, plus a small remote control, so not exactly large or heavy to carry around!

From https://account.nowtv.com/device-management
When you first set up your account, you can add up to 4 devices (and watch on 2 at the same time).
After you've added your first 4 devices, you can swap 1 device every calendar month.

It looks as though the NowTV stick is actually a mini Roku, so gives you access to other services like Netflix, YouTube, iPlayer, ITV Hub, etc on your TV too - see https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-now-tv-box-stick for a full list. And it has a voice enabled remote control! The only "obvious" TV related apps that the stick doesn't have are Amazon TV and Google's Chromecast.
https://www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick
https://www.nowtv.com/stick-bundles
There's a bundle direct from Sky which gives you both the stick and a month's sports pass for £29.99 - so it's actually cheaper to buy a stick than to just buy your first month's pass by itself - which really makes it a no-brainer. You may find even better value bundles elsewhere. I've just had a quick look on Amazon, and although there are currently a selection of good value bundles with Cinema and Entertainment month passes, there's nothing much for Sports at the moment. They do tend to come and go though. And there is currently an offer for just a month's sports pass (without a stick) for £24.99 - which makes it cheaper than just 2 one week passes - with warnings that you need to remember to cancel once the month is up, or you automatically get charged at the full rate for the next month. I can't comment on that, as I haven't tried it.

This is speculation, as it's not something I've tried: If you can bear the waste, I expect that what you actually physically get is a stick and a voucher to activate the pass on your account, rather than a stick with the bundle somehow pre-enabled and ready to activate, so another way to get cheap month passes would be to buy a NowTV stick and throwing it away each month, and just use the activation voucher that comes with it.

Given the early morning starts for some of the F1 season, I think we'll be getting a NowTV stick with a pass for the bedroom TV this year - which we can take away in the Motorhome too (y)
Thank you so much for going into so much detail, it's much appreciated. (y)
Sound like it's just what we need although I now have to ferret around behind the TV in the MoHo to see how I can plug a separate HDMI cable in. It's one of these 'pull up from behind a seat' jobs that has no space around it.

Richard.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Remember, that whatever you are using, its going to cost you data. At home, no problem, but away and connected to a sim its going to cost. An example, I measured a couple of weeks ago was a two hour film "Bird Box", excellent by the way I love Sandra Bullock, how can a 54yr old woman look that good, anyway it took 5Gb of data.

Bird_Box_(film).png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_Box_(film)

Last edited:
May 21, 2016
Algarve & North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am in Spain and can report that BBC iPlayer does not work without aVPN. I even have UK as location in all settings on computer and signed into BBC and without VPN it says does not work in this area.

I live in Portugal, and can receive Iplayer ok on uk sim in MiFi (GiffGaff) But when I use Portugal Internet sim I its blocked.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
We viewed all of it using mifi, 4g antenna on roof, and using an amazon fire stick. Put it on it’s lowest res, and so used less than 1Gig per hour for tv or films. Never had a problem in France, Germany, or Belgium

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
For those who have a Three pre-loaded sim (3gb, 12gb or 24gb) make sure you check when you have to 'activate' it by as they do have a finite life even when unused.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Remember, that whatever you are using, its going to cost you data. At home, no problem, but away and connected to a sim its going to cost.
Thanks Mike
Yes, as per my OP I intend to up the data allowance from my present £19pm for 16GB to Vodafones latest deal which seems quite good value.
So, I'm thinking of increasing my phone data allowance and using that to stream live TV when we want to watch. Vodafone have a deal at the mo with 50gb data for £30pm but with a £90 cashback......in effect about £22pm.
I think 50GB per month should be enough, even for Kate's cricket addiction. :D:D

Richard.

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Just an update on this thread.
I got what I considered a good deal from Vodafone for phone data to allow me to download TV in sufficient quantity to watch F1 and cricket when we are in the van.
I rang Vodafone and spoke to a very helpful northern lass who rummaged in their system and found me a deal, not to be found on their website, for 65GB data :Eeek:+ unlimited calls and texts for £25 on a 12 month contract. Not bad I think!
I was almost set on going the NowTV route then realised that you can only watch in the EU for a maximum of 30 days before having to reset by using it back in the UK. As we often go away for 6 weeks that wouldn't do.
In the end I bit the bullet and went back to Sky and their sports package on the Q system.
I can download content to my iPad to watch while away and stream live to my laptop via the phone for 37 days (5 and a bit weeks).
The Memsahib will be happy with the cricket, particularly as its an Ashes year, and we will both enjoy plenty of live F1.

Richard.

Deleted User
Just an update on this thread.
I got what I considered a good deal from Vodafone for phone data to allow me to download TV in sufficient quantity to watch F1 and cricket when we are in the van.
I rang Vodafone and spoke to a very helpful northern lass who rummaged in their system and found me a deal, not to be found on their website, for 65GB data :Eeek:+ unlimited calls and texts for £25 on a 12 month contract. Not bad I think!
I was almost set on going the NowTV route then realised that you can only watch in the EU for a maximum of 30 days before having to reset by using it back in the UK. As we often go away for 6 weeks that wouldn't do.
In the end I bit the bullet and went back to Sky and their sports package on the Q system.
I can download content to my iPad to watch while away and stream live to my laptop via the phone for 37 days (5 and a bit weeks).
The Memsahib will be happy with the cricket, particularly as its an Ashes year, and we will both enjoy plenty of live F1.

Richard.

You got a much better deal than me from Vodafone but if you had insisted on a waiver to the 3 months limit and obtained it in writing, as I and others have done, you would have bagged a bargain.

I have been in Europe since the beginning of September without problem and I know of another funster who has used the Vodafone deal for much longer.

Deleted User
For those who have a Three pre-loaded sim (3gb, 12gb or 24gb) make sure you check when you have to 'activate' it by as they do have a finite life even when unused.

How would I go about finding that information?

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007

@Minxy Girl How do you check. I can’t see anything on the ones I have?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How did you manage that? We spend a lot of time in Greece, France and Spain and I’ve tried and failed to use iPlayer in any of those countries.
I have to download films or programs onto my iPad prior to leaving in order to watch them
If you are using a UKsim if should work, it won't work with a local sim or wifi without using a VPN.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Minxy Girl How do you check. I can’t see anything on the ones I have?
No idea how you check, I suppose you could ring Three and give them the number off the pack and they should be able to tell you when you have to activate it by so you don't lose it, but I met someone whilst on holiday who didn't know and when he tried to use his sealed 24gb one the 'use by date' had passed! He wasn't a happy bunny.:(

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Thanks Barry, very useful.
1GB for an hour and a half is about what I thought.
Vodafone allow you to use all the data allowance so that isn't a problem.
I have been using Vodafone for the last year and have used just about all of the 16gb that I pay for when on a long trip. 4G just about everywhere in France and Spain plus you can tether without drama, unlike Three Network.

Richard.
Not sure you are correct about 3 unless U.K. and Europe are treated differently by 3. I switched to 3 to get their unlimited download (UK) recently and tether my phone to a smart tv to stream iplayer and the like. Used 20+ GB last month with no issues. I think I'm correct to say limit of about 20gb in Europe.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
No idea how you check, I suppose you could ring Three

Sorry for the thread hijack, but just a quick update for @matamoros and @Minxy Girl . I just checked with 3 re expiring data SIMs. They say there is no cut off date for activating them, but once done there can’t be a gap in usage of more than 6 months.

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
We have a Sky subscription and multi room, so we have 2 boxes. One stays at home in the TV room, the other lives in the Moho connected to the Oyster dish with twin LNB. We get the same choice wherever we are, but have to avoid big overhanging trees! It costs us nothing extra, as the second box would be in the bedroom at home if it wasn’t in the van. I can put it back in the bedroom if I wanted to but we rarely want TV in the bedroom at home. ( I don’t think this would work with the new Sky Q boxes, as they are all connected by the same WiFi network)

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Not sure you are correct about 3 unless U.K. and Europe are treated differently by 3.
Yes. Three network treat the UK and Europe differently.
You are quite correct that you can tether while in the UK but once you cross the channel it is all different. No tethering available in Europe and you are limited to 3G. Try hooking up to a 4G service and you will just be told 'Not Available'.

Richard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
We have a Sky subscription and multi room, so we have 2 boxes. One stays at home in the TV room, the other lives in the Moho connected to the Oyster dish with twin LNB. We get the same choice wherever we are, but have to avoid big overhanging trees! It costs us nothing extra, as the second box would be in the bedroom at home if it wasn’t in the van. I can put it back in the bedroom if I wanted to but we rarely want TV in the bedroom at home. ( I don’t think this would work with the new Sky Q boxes, as they are all connected by the same WiFi network)

Correct. The new Q box's need a different LNB and use your Wi-fi to link together. They are the only box that Sky supply now and won't work away from home. The viewing card is also different so can't be used in an older box.
You can use Sky Go to get the channels you subscribe to when away from home via mobile/wi-fi.

Richard.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You are quite correct that you can tether while in the UK but once you cross the channel it is all different. No tethering available in Europe and you are limited to 3G. Try hooking up to a 4G service and you will just be told 'Not Available'.

Richard.
Please check before posting info ... Three dropped the tethering restriction back in March 2018 which I reported on this forum:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...go-roam-limits-in-the-eu.187749/#post-3104720

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Clarky
Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Oops! Sorry boss. Missed that. :doh:
Haven't been using Three for the last year so not up to speed

I still have an unused Three sim for the mi-fi but have been holding it as a reserve. Must get round to using it sometime.

Richard.
Write out 100 times ... "I must read the forum posts by Minxy Girl regularly" ... :D

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

Richard.
I agree about the 3G only, but, if you have a Data only SIM in a mifi you can tether.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back