Mk8 Transit hab battery access (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hi all. We are due to pick our new van in 2 weeks and have already opened the pandora's box of upgrading stuff! Next will be LPG, but looking at upgrading the electrical system as well. Our hab battery seems to be underneath the passenger seat (what would be the drivers side for you RHD drivers) but I can't see an obvious way to get access to it? Can anyone who has a van on this chassis give me any advice please?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
On our Mk7 you undo the swivel base torx screws and lift it off. It's heavy!. When you put it back be careful not to turn it over so the seat belts twisted....... guess how I know!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
On our Mk7 you undo the swivel base torx screws and lift it off. It's heavy!. When you put it back be careful not to turn it over so the seat belts twisted....... guess how I know!
Ah ok. I thought I had read something, somewhere, about there being a tilt function on the seat on the mk8 to get access. I'm considering relocating the battery over the winter to install a full lithium setup and was mulling over whether I could install a small safe in the old battery lcoation. If I have to remove the entire seat to get to the safe, it won't be going there!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ah ok. I thought I had read something, somewhere, about there being a tilt function on the seat on the mk8 to get access. I'm considering relocating the battery over the winter to install a full lithium setup and was mulling over whether I could install a small safe in the old battery lcoation. If I have to remove the entire seat to get to the safe, it won't be going there!
It didn't tilt I lifted it off!. There is a lift off plastic cover and depending on the safe design you might be able to reach in with the seat slid forwards but I'd look elsewhere.
If you were relocating the battery you might be able to cut a hole in the seat base for access but it sounds like a faff and a keen mot tester could say you had weakened the seat fixings

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
It didn't tilt I lifted it off!. There is a lift off plastic cover and depending on the safe design you might be able to reach in with the seat slid forwards but I'd look elsewhere.
I agree, that's a bit too much messing about. There's another location I have my eye on which looks very suitable for a small safe so it looks like it'll go there. Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back