MiMo antenna (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m thinking of upgrading my antenna and trying to decide which to go for.
At the moment I’m thinking of one of these, first is an older version and cheaper or the slightly dearer version.
Or
Solwise does list another similar to above with less fixing options , cheaper but not in stock.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I’m thinking of upgrading my antenna and trying to decide which to go for.
At the moment I’m thinking of one of these, first is an older version and cheaper or the slightly dearer version.
Or
Solwise does list another similar to above with less fixing options , cheaper but not in stock.
Think Lenny HB and DBK have this fitted.

EDIT : see, told you so! :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
The older one works well only real difference is no 5G probably not a problem for Motorhome use.

There is a cheaper version of the new one but you will need to spend a few quid on connecting cables but only 10 quid dearer than the old one.
Yes the one you link to is out of stock and they don’t know when they would get them in. It would be cheaper than the old version. £99 or 106 for old one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Yes the one you link to is out of stock and they don’t know when they would get them in. It would be cheaper than the old version. £99 or 106 for old one.
Your link came up with the old one at £89 (paid £125 for mine).

Edit:
Just noticed the £89 was ex vat.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Your link came up with the old one at £89 (paid £125 for mine).
Yes you’ve got to add vat and delivery, comes out at £114

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
By the time you have bought the cables you need for the old one there won't be a lot in it
Also the fewer connectors the better in a high-frequency radio aerial cable - less loss, and less reflections to cause noise. And avoid sharp bends in the cable too, that also causes loss and reflections.

I've got a similar one - the same mobile antennae, but also a couple of wifi and a GPS antenna built in.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Also the fewer connectors the better in a high-frequency radio aerial cable - less loss, and less reflections to cause noise. And avoid sharp bends in the cable too, that also causes loss and reflections.
I wasn't very happy with my install as I had to use a 300 mm and a 200mm cable to end up with the right sex at the Mifi. Couldn't get the cable I wanted anywhere at the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The cheaper one does not have a long enought threaded tube and is realy intended for sheet steel thin roof mounting.
The correct part No to get a 50mm tube and two Mtr cables more suited to coach build with 30/40 mm thick roofs is a
A-MIMO-0003-V2-12

20210329_224012.jpg

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The square foam bit around the spigot pulls off easily, and there are 4 screws holding the spigot. As you will notice, there is a line down the spigot thread - the spigot splits into two. My aerial came with a bag of spare bits, including a long and short spigot, and a couple of Standard to RP SMA adapter for the wifi connections if required.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Mine was the older one (fitted it a couple of years ago) with the short spigot, I took the s/a foam pad off and used Sika to fix it to the roof. If I had know how good the adhesive was before I started to get it off I would have just used that and put a bead of Sika around the edge.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The square foam bit around the spigot pulls off easily, and there are 4 screws holding the spigot. As you will notice, there is a line down the spigot thread - the spigot splits into two. My aerial came with a bag of spare bits, including a long and short spigot, and a couple of Standard to RP SMA adapter for the wifi connections if required.
Mine showed the RP to SMA adapters in the contents list but they were not present in the box fortunatly i had a couple from a previous set up.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Mine showed the RP to SMA adapters in the contents list but they were not present in the box fortunatly i had a couple from a previous set up.
Mine didn’t have them either.☹️What are they needed for.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Mine didn’t have them either.☹️What are they needed for.
Alternative modem conections mine needed them . If your modem excepts the threaded conections present all is well. You may need a converter that is not included, once again no logical industry standard.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’m ok because my router has Sma ones.

If anybody wants the poynting A-MIMO-0003-02 , this is the one with 300mm and no long spigot, Solwise has one that’s been returned ( this is no longer stocked )

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I’m ok because my router has Sma ones.

If anybody wants the poynting A-MIMO-0003-02 , this is the one with 300mm and no long spigot, Solwise has one that’s been returned ( this is no longer stocked )
I know i returned it still waiting for my dosh back
(Should add I ordered the wrong one on advise from a Tin Top Motor Homer)
They only have little spigots did you know that ? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
I’m confused! My current WiFi setup has become unstable this year. I don’t know if it’s my Huawei WiFi unit becoming unwell (it’s served me well for 4 years) or my Vodafone data sim deal giving me a diluted service? (I was on a Vodafone 50gb per month limit before switching to a Vodafone unlimited gb deal)

At nearly every site we’ve been to this year the WiFi signal has consistently become very slow or dropped out completely (the wifi on our devices disappears), no errors on the huawei WiFi device. I have one of those small antennas that I stick on one of the MH windows with window suckers.

So, I am assuming it may be time to upgrade given that streaming will be a necessity.
I have read many threads on the subject - LennyHB & DBK’s amongst others. Their recommendations point to Poynting antennas available from Solwuse. However, I have found the same units available from 4gon.co.uk much cheaper. Am I safe to buy from them?

I have an Autotrail Cheyenne. I understand that I should use the shortest cables possible but, in all the recommendations the confusing part is the cables. Which ones do I need? Do the antennas come with cables or no? If I buy additional cables can I shorten them?

if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction please I would be most grateful.

Thanks all

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I bought the Poynting with 2 metre cables because the short cable version wasn’t available and I g to junk short cable version is not stocked, I will in time reduce my cables but for now leave as is because of warranty.
Solwise did offer to reduce cables but would void warranty

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I’m confused! My current WiFi setup has become unstable this year. I don’t know if it’s my Huawei WiFi unit becoming unwell (it’s served me well for 4 years) or my Vodafone data sim deal giving me a diluted service? (I was on a Vodafone 50gb per month limit before switching to a Vodafone unlimited gb deal)

At nearly every site we’ve been to this year the WiFi signal has consistently become very slow or dropped out completely (the wifi on our devices disappears), no errors on the huawei WiFi device. I have one of those small antennas that I stick on one of the MH windows with window suckers.

So, I am assuming it may be time to upgrade given that streaming will be a necessity.
I have read many threads on the subject - LennyHB & DBK’s amongst others. Their recommendations point to Poynting antennas available from Solwuse. However, I have found the same units available from 4gon.co.uk much cheaper. Am I safe to buy from them?

I have an Autotrail Cheyenne. I understand that I should use the shortest cables possible but, in all the recommendations the confusing part is the cables. Which ones do I need? Do the antennas come with cables or no? If I buy additional cables can I shorten them?

if anyone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction please I would be most grateful.

Thanks all
We have been with Vodafone for a few years with the mifi but on our recent uk trips we are finding it so slow even when in full signal and 4G areas. Due to this I’ve cancelled Vodafone this week. I can’t see it being anything else as all works ok in France.

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Sadly, this is our experience too and your comment has confirmed my suspicion that they’ve diluted their service. We are creatures of habit and tend to return to sites we know we like and the WiFi has been poor when previously it has been very good. The only thing that has changed has been the Vodafone contract.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I wasn't very happy with my install as I had to use a 300 mm and a 200mm cable to end up with the right sex at the Mifi. Couldn't get the cable I wanted anywhere at the time.
Just a thought if the connectors are/were of a wrong type then you can get gender changers, understand it too late now but maybe useful for the future

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Radio frequency connectors require great care to make a perfect connection. If less than optimal they can cause reflections, attenuation and extraneous noise. Even squeezing or bending the cable too tightly can cause reflections. Unless you can test your connection technique on a radio-frequency wave analyser and/or a time-domain reflectometer, you're working in the dark. Of course you may be lucky.

I bought a Poynting antenna with 2-metre cables, which came through the roof just less than a metre from the router. I looped the cable in a U-shape down the back wall of the wardrobe, enclosing it in a bit of trunking to make it look a bit better. I could cut them and fit new connectors, but in this case it just wasn't worth the risk.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We have been with Vodafone for a few years with the mifi but on our recent uk trips we are finding it so slow even when in full signal and 4G areas. Due to this I’ve cancelled Vodafone this week. I can’t see it being anything else as all works ok in France.

Sadly, this is our experience too and your comment has confirmed my suspicion that they’ve diluted their service. We are creatures of habit and tend to return to sites we know we like and the WiFi has been poor when previously it has been very good. The only thing that has changed has been the Vodafone contract.
Well, I am glad to know that I am not the only one experiencing a lesser performance from Vodafone than of previous. We never had low signal strength or low figure speed tests when in Germany or Spain, but have here in the UK. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back