MiMo antenna (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Radio frequency connectors require great care to make a perfect connection. If less than optimal they can cause reflections, attenuation and extraneous noise. Even squeezing or bending the cable too tightly can cause reflections. Unless you can test your connection technique on a radio-frequency wave analyser and/or a time-domain reflectometer, you're working in the dark. Of course you may be lucky.

I bought a Poynting antenna with 2-metre cables, which came through the roof just less than a metre from the router. I looped the cable in a U-shape down the back wall of the wardrobe, enclosing it in a bit of trunking to make it look a bit better. I could cut them and fit new connectors, but in this case it just wasn't worth the risk.

Thanks for the info. I assume it’s better to have the mifi unit / router mounted on a wall rather than sat inside a cupboard?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks for the info. I assume it’s better to have the mifi unit / router mounted on a wall rather than sat inside a cupboard?
Won't make any odds the signal is coming from the aerial on the roof & wood doors won't have much effect on the wifi signal and you are so close to it anyway.

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Won't make any odds the signal is coming from the aerial on the roof & wood doors won't have much effect on the wifi signal and you are so close to it anyway.
The antenna (A-MIMO-3-V2-12) and new WiFi router (huawei B535-333) arrived and I will set to and install them in my MH on Saturday. The WiFi is up and running. I’ve stuck with the Vodafone sim for now and will give it a fair crack to see if this new set up makes a difference to the Vodafone performance.

I’m just wondering if placement on the roof is crucial? What I mean is, does it have to be in a clear space away from say, a TV aerial or heating system vent hood?

Also, if anyone has a good idea on how to wall mount this particular WiFi router, I’d be glad if sone advice because I didn’t realise that the antenna cables connect into the back of the unit not, underneath. So, the unit will need to set away from the cupboard wall a couple of inches to make sure the cables aren’t too cramped.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
How about this holder
I power my router with this
<Broken link removed>

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
We have been with Vodafone for a few years with the mifi but on our recent uk trips we are finding it so slow even when in full signal and 4G areas. Due to this I’ve cancelled Vodafone this week. I can’t see it being anything else as all works ok in France.
Same as us. Just this minute gone over to EE, and so glad I did. Voda definitely throttle back without a shadow of doubt, not that they will tell you that, obviously.🤬

Sep 21, 2007
Kings Ripton, Huntingdon
Funster No
MH
RP Rebellion 2 2024
Exp
Since 2007
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Backs up what I know in my own minds eye Jock. I have done hundreds of tests over a 2 year period, and at all different times of the day to know they lie through the back of their teeth.🤬

hmmm….I was really hoping that with all my new kit, the Vodafone sim would perk up. I suspect I a m in for disappointment. Best I call them in the morning and find out how long I have left on my contract.

So, EE seems to be the way to go then?

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Just updating this.

Spent quite a bit of time with Vodafone this monring. Turns out we were on a capped unlimited plan. They have put me on Unlimited max. We are away in the MH this weekend and will try it. If no good, then I will cancel within the 14 day cooling off period and go with EE

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
OK I know it's an older thread but thought I'd resurrect it to ask a couple of questions of the folk in the know (that's you lot in case you don't know!).(y)

Since the Auld Yin's old-mo staunchest joke supporter Lenny HB point blank refuses to remove his old Hymer from underneath his MIMO aerial I'm gonna have to think about getting a new one!:crying:

We currently use a Poynting Puck and it has worked well over the last couple of years but we're thinking about maybe adding TV streaming to our media options and think we'd be better with a MIMO-3.

So the questions,
  • believe the new models (MIMO-3-V2-12 and 15 don't required a metal ground plate, correct?
  • timing is going to be a bit of an issue in getting it roof mounted before we go away again (UK only) so do you think it will work to an acceptable standard placed in an overhead locker just below the internal ceiling? Autotrail motorhome so grp body and expanded poly insulation. Oh, and before anybody says it, it doesn't have the optional(?) internal water feature.
  • Currently, I can get a v2-15 for similar price (£144) should I go for that over the v2-12 (£141)? I've got 1 set of plug adapters for our e5770 mifi so, initially, would only be using LTE as opposed both mifi and wifi but maybe future proofs us.
Appreciate thoughts \ guidance.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
These don’t need a metal ground plate.
I don’t think you would get any advantage from it in side a cupboard.
I bought the 12 version but now wish I had bought the 15 because I’m changing router and the new one can pick up wifi but I’m not really worried about that.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
These don’t need a metal ground plate.
Thanks for confirmation. Was looking at the "manual" for it and it didn't saying anything about ground plate then realised it was the version I downloaded a year or two ago.:doh: New documentation does say "built-in" ground plane.(y)
I don’t think you would get any advantage from it in side a cupboard.
Might have an option to "loose fit" on roof at each stop but "guaranteed" I'll forget it's there and we'll be dragging it along like a "just married" tin can!:eek:
I bought the 12 version but now wish I had bought the 15 because I’m changing router and the new one can pick up wifi but I’m not really worried about that.
That's what I kinda thought, for a couple of pounds might as well go for the 15 but routing of the cables may be a bit more tricky given they'll be going through a yet to be drilled hole internally.:unsure:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I bought and fitted the V2 12 model, as I felt that open WiFi is becoming a rarity, unless you are sat in the provider's premises or reception area, and I certainly don't subscribe to the likes of the CAMC for WiFi. :doh: I still have my ALFA router and USB WiFi antenna, should I need to implement them. ;)

Either as PAYG or contract, I think that mobile data signals are the way forward for browsing and streaming.

I mounted our Poynting MiMo on the roof using the adhesive gasket they provided, and fed the cables in through the framework of a rooflight, thereby negating the need to drill a hole in the roof..............which is one of my nightmares, in case I ever got it wrong. :cry: ............. :LOL:

Good luck whichever way you choose to install it Gellyneck. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
As said none of the Ponyting MIMO need a ground plane.

Leaving inside it will give some gain but not ideal they really need to be on the roof with clear space all around them.
If your AT has those wings or whatever they are along the side of the roof it needs to be mounted well clear of them & any other obstructions.

As for the WiFi version not sure, as Jock says more difficult to get WiFi signals, a lot of the problem is everyone using 5g which doesn't travel through walls very well. Gone are the days you could sit in a McD car park and get a decent signal, now you have to be in the building or just outside.

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Regarding WiFi, I’d go for it , and did with our Panorama MIMO LPMDM60, Teltonika RUT950 set up because the price difference was negligible. We sat at the Bridlington South Shore site and watched Netflix using the site WiFi.
Some places the WiFi is decent, others not, if you ain’t got it you can’t use it.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As said none of the Ponyting MIMO need a ground plane.
(y)
Leaving inside it will give some gain but not ideal they really need to be on the roof with clear space all around them.
If your AT has those wings or whatever they are along the side of the roof it needs to be mounted well clear of them & any other obstructions.
That's part of the issue I have for permanent roof mounting, it does have the upstands down either side, it's a Hi-line so sizeable over-cab hump, solar panel, satellite dish, Status aerial, etc all take up space above the overheads lockers and still trying to figure out where I could position it in "free space" and get the spigot into one of them.

One option could be temporary mounting out through the overcab rooflight and remembering to bring it back in before moving. Bit of a faff but ..... We normally crack the rooflight open anyway for some ventilation.

Might try it in the locker and see how we get on and take it from there.
As for the WiFi version not sure, as Jock says more difficult to get WiFi signals, a lot of the problem is everyone using 5g which doesn't travel through walls very well. Gone are the days you could sit in a McD car park and get a decent signal, now you have to be in the building or just outside.
(y)

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Rather than use the spigot you could just stick it with the supplied pad and then run cable to a suitable route into the van.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Rather than use the spigot you could just stick it with the supplied pad and then run cable to a suitable route into the van.
That's what I'm kinda trying to work out.
I think the cable will be mesh covered? Are they weather \ uv proof or do they need to go in some trunking \ conduit (probably the former given the cable connectors)?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
That's what I'm kinda trying to work out.
I think the cable will be mesh covered? Are they weather \ uv proof or do they need to go in some trunking \ conduit (probably the former given the cable connectors)?
I would go trunking route
Hence my suggested fitting, ie,

I mounted our Poynting MiMo on the roof using the adhesive gasket they provided, and fed the cables in through the framework of a rooflight, thereby negating the need to drill a hole in the roof.
I fitted a fellow Funster's Puck antenna for them, using the same method, ie, trunked right up to the base of the skylight.
I've not got any photos on this tablet I am using, but if any on the phone, I'll post later.

If popping it out the skylight, you could use the magnetic kit, and bond the plate to the roof, which would allow you to either bring the antenna in at will, or leave it on whilst travelling. :)

Cheers,

May 14, 2014
Funster No
MH
Now a little one
I fitted my Poynting Mimo3 on the roof by making up a 'top hat' (think U shape with edges) mount made from 2mm aluminium plate that was sika fixed to the fibreglass roof. This gave the aerial clear space for reception.

The aerial was fixed to the aluminium mount using the supplied self adhesive gasket.

To save drilling an extra hole in the roof, the aerial leads were run through trunking to the factory pre installed solar junction box where I added an extra screw type cable gland.

Unfortunately don't have a photo as the motorhome is still in storage ☹️

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
That's part of the issue I have for permanent roof mounting, it does have the upstands down either side, it's a Hi-line so sizeable over-cab hump, solar panel, satellite dish, Status aerial, etc all take up space above the overheads lockers and still trying to figure out where I could position it in "free space" and get the spigot into one of them.
I had a similar problem I just put it in the clearest space that was practical, it works well.
Mine is the black unit next to the oven vent, the trunking in front of it is nothing to do with it that's the satellite.

IMG_20220323_173409.jpg

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
I've not got any photos on this tablet I am using, but if any on the phone, I'll post later.
20210824_145459.jpg

Gellyneck, it's the only photo I've got showing the Poynting MiMo antenna.

The sheathed cables run under the front right edge of the smoked skylight, up and over the interior frame, (after a minor adjustment to the plastic profile was made, to accommodate the cables), then discreetly hidden by the frame trim, exiting at the corner nearest the MiFi.

1648151098514902309825302927458.jpg

The two in one adapter lead you see is only temporary, until the newer Cat 6 MiFi arrives, to replace the Cat 4 model.

Cheers

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Again, many thanks gang!:notworthy2:

So much food for thought now I'll start piling the weight back on again!:swear2:

Will be giving it some further thought when we get home early next week and have another good look around to sort out the best, well most viable, option for us.:think:

Given the way technology is developing I'll end up sorting it all out and fitting it and the bu**ers will bring out a Bluetooth connection version the week after!:RollEyes:

Will let you know how we get on however you'll probably know in advance as the "earthquake" you'll feel in the next few weeks will be me (with all that extra weight!) hitting the ground after falling off the roof!:worried:

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
If its of any interest to anyone I have just ordered the Pointing 5 in 1 mimo 3 v2 - 15 from 4GON for the total price including delivery of £151.26.
I suspect in the present economic climate that price will not remain low for too long.;)

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If its of any interest to anyone I have just ordered the Pointing 5 in 1 mimo 3 v2 - 15 from 4GON for the total price including delivery of £151.26.
I suspect in the present economic climate that price will not remain low for too long.;)
That's the one I'm looking at.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back