Millau Viaduct toll surprise! (1 Viewer)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
I think all French motorhomes are 3.5 ton regardless of their actual weight .:)

At one time I had those speed limit stickers on the mh but realised no natives have them and it was just drawing attention to being over 3.5 ton. We are actually only 4ton so at a casual glance could be 3.5.

It is actually a legal requirement in France to display the speed signs on the rear of a motorhome if over 3.5t, you will find that natives will have them, they are probably a requirement for the C.T. (French mot) and to remove them, or nor display them, would risk a hefty fine.

A little bit confused about charges in France. We are three axles @5250kgs and came down all through France at class 2. I wondered if being under 3mtrs high might be why?

Recon you're right, well done you for not triggering the automatic increase.

Phil

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A little bit confused about charges in France. We are three axles @5250kgs and came down all through France at class 2. I wondered if being under 3mtrs high might be why?
3 axles I think you should have been Class 4.
I would write to them and ask how much you owe them.:LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977

We have traveled France and Spain, used the tolls and only payed class two. Think it’s because we are just under 3 metres. Even had a lady come out her kiosk once, still class 2.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
That's not a Millau surprise. Meeting my boy and his friends on it though. That would be a surprise.

Jim I can’t look.......:eek:

Is James fully recovered and back jumping?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
As I mentioned previously, I have "pushed the boundries" and if you believe that you can debate the matter with a gendarme then go for it, if not I would advise caution. I speak fluent French and personally would not wish to take up that challenge. Bon chance(y)(y)
I think he should just offer to pay for the underpayments from previous years and be done with it....;):)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The toll is just another trick of the crafty campsite owners;)..they know we wont pay

Seriously, if the tolls were cheap the town would suffer - and we would miss a great place to stop and views that you can't get from the bridge.

The journey from South to North is the best, I might be tempted to pay going South in Winter though..

And afterall the rest of the A75 is free(y)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
We are slightly over 3 metres at 3.03 but under 3500kgs. Always class 2 on tolls.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
If using a toll we usually come up as class 4 on the display,
we simply press the call button and tell the operator
"je suis Camping car Class deux, merci"

Without fail they have adjusted the display to class 2

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Not sure about the M1/HGV as my 5.5t Iveco has never been a HGV and was converted from new but is classed as private hgv on the V5, so this appears to be a bit of a grey area!!

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
I've never understood the class. Heavy Goods Vehicle defines a vehicle as goods as such I always believed that was carrying goods for profit, so why Private Heavy Goods, whilst I get the private bit, why still the heavy goods and not simply private heavy eliminating the confusion ..... or is it just me ..... again ??

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I've never understood the class. Heavy Goods Vehicle defines a vehicle as goods as such I always believed that was carrying goods for profit, so why Private Heavy Goods, whilst I get the private bit, why still the heavy goods and not simply private heavy eliminating the confusion ..... or is it just me ..... again ??

I think its the 'private' tag that makes a difference, but in any event as long as its got class M1 on it, its officially a Motorhome.

Many of the access roads to aires have 3.5 tonne limits but the French seem to widely ignore them, as do i unless there is a very obvious reason why not.

Jon

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A car is classed as PLG. Private light Goods! More confusion.
Anyway, at the bottom of this post is a link regarding the official toll classifications. If you got away with paying less, you did well.
We were classed as 2,3 and a motorcycle once in our 7.5 ton RV. Sometimes it makes no sense!
Now, we don’t use tolls, our motorhome is 3850kg and 3 metres.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
JL

I have heard a few say it's your fault
You've been talking to 'er indoors ... it is always my fault ... but then .... it's never her fault or so she tells me, so it must be me.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Our imported Hymer occasionally used to come up as class 3 at the toll booth, a quick press of the button and your reclassified to 2.
A couple of years ago we got the Sanif tag, since then we have never been class 3, and I recommend them to the house.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A car is classed as PLG. Private light Goods! More confusion.
Anyway, at the bottom of this post is a link regarding the official toll classifications. If you got away with paying less, you did well.
We were classed as 2,3 and a motorcycle once in our 7.5 ton RV. Sometimes it makes no sense!
Now, we don’t use tolls, our motorhome is 3850kg and 3 metres.

https://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm
I consider them all as scammers. When you are under 3m easily, less than 2,5 T & it still comes up as 'class 3' you know they are con merchants.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I can't see why any MHer would have a problem driving through Millau, if asked (unlikely IMHO) you just need to say you were going to the aire or a campsite.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back