Might Re-Selfbuild our van. Thoughts on this design?

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Wissel, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    Have you thought of changing your alternator to improve charging when travelling?

• Like it Like it x 1
  2. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    On our current van we have the CTEK 250s and Smartpass, so are probably getting about as much charge as the batteries can take.

I'm not sure what will be needed yet to charge the Lithium setup (not got that far yet :) )

I know our current alternator is 150A.

• Like it Like it x 1
  3. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Ratings:
    +939
    All sounds great to me!
    You’ll to start planning your first trip with the updated van soon

• Like it Like it x 1
  4. two

two Funster

Ratings:
    +2,811
    A tidy layout for a go-anywhere vehicle. I’m not sure if you’d have enough knee space when the front seats are facing each other. It may be better turning them backwards another 45° and moving the table a little further back.

Have you considered weight distribution? You may have too much at the back.

• Like it Like it x 1
  5. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    I think the same @rogher (leg room). If you look back at page 2 of this thread I've changed the design, so the seats are fully swivelled now, with surfaces behind.

Hoping I'll be okay re weight distribution. My new battery bank will only be 40kg and over the rear axle. I'll build the whole thing as light as possible though (and will have it on weighbridge at different stages of course).

6. Milliemobile

Milliemobile

Ratings:
    +1,227
    If putting in a solid door, make sure you are able to open from either side and actually get around it into bathroom. If tight on space to get around try solid with bifold using good piano hinges so it can fold back on its self.

Lin :)

• Like it Like it x 2
  7. Markbsp

Markbsp

Ratings:
    +2
    It has been interesting reading your posts. I have read many posts and watched hundreds of videos on camper conversions.
    I will be starting my own soon once I have managed to get myself the right van.
    I also use sketch up as i find it easier to imagine and plan the design. its still difficult to decide which design but I do like your design with the new partition, having 2 rooms could be valuable as you say. I want to build my first camper van quite small just for weekends away, so I don't need so much space and gadgets. I want to do mine for as cheap as possible.
    I have seen a tiny home by Ana White she did with a elevating bed. I like that Idea, Think I will use this as I do not need storage in mine.
    Well i would like to see more of your camper van as you are doing the refit so please keep posting pictures.
    Good luck!

• Like it Like it x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Here's the (hopefully) final design for anyone interested:

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1
  9. Floydster

Floydster Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +2,326
    Great presentation, looking forward to seeing the build in progress.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Thanks @pandj - you and me both :)

Really looking forward to making a start now. Was going to wait until March, but that won't happen :)

• Like it Like it x 1
  11. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,152
    Great design, I must say I don't know who's copied who but my design is extremely similar.

How high are the rear beds from the floor and how much headroom is there?

I have only seen half the video as missus is now watching x factor so will watch the other half later.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Thanks Paul - Great minds huh :)

The rear beds will be between 90cm-1m from the floor. I'm all back, so need 97cm when sitting up. After whatever of me sinks into the mattress :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,152

The main problem with fixed beds in a PVC is the storage space a we are both finding, no problem in a rear transverse, loads of room underneath, you have created some cracking storage there.
    We also have the wall/door blocking off the front and back, I may nick a couple of your ideas just to tweak the design, but remarkably similar.(y)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Yeah, storage is always a problem. Especially with a big dog.

It was finding a space for the dogs bed that first made me think of raising the back. Well that, and I like the design of the Pilote GJ beds :)

It should work out that the dog has a space around 1m x 65cm on the floor (minus half a wheel arch) and around 50cm high. The "wardrobes" are then 1.5m long x 60cm wide and around 30/35cm deep. Then is a 10cm thick mattress, with a Froli base (have you seen these by the way?)

The other thing I'm really please with, is how much worksurface we get. It works out that we have around 70cm either side, not including the sink and hob. As we both like to cook, this was important.

It's killing me not ordering all the bits now :) Just want to make sure it will be as good for us as it can be.

• Like it Like it x 1
  15. CazPaul

CazPaul Funster

Ratings:
    +5,152
    Yes love the froli which is what we will be having. What did you use for your insulation?

16. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    I used 25mm Kingspan everywhere it was possible and filled all the beams etc with fire-retardant insulating foam.

Our van never gets hot in the Summer and rarely needs the heating on in Winter if we are both in the van).

IMG_1310.JPG
    IMG_1314.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. two

two Funster

Ratings:
    +2,811
    Nice area of work surfaces, but they might be a tad high for use as tables(?)

• Like it Like it x 2
  18. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Thanks @rogher

I'm not 100% sure, as i haven't removed my bulkhead yet, but I'm hoping the "step" into the front will give enough height to the seats. Maybe with them in the raised setting.

I'll know before I start anyway.

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +29,755
    Just some thoughts as I can envisage you bashing your shin on that 'lump' behind the drivers seat ....
    • Are you sure that putting on the swivels will mean you can't put the battery under the drivers seat? Our camper has 2 under there and we have swivels on both seats.
    • Would it be possible to move your engine battery outside under the bonnet and then put your new leisure battery in the space it occupied?
    • Perhaps putting it at the back of the kitchen unit might be an option, where it's not that easy to access stuff anyway, then you could put a shallow tall storage cupboard next to the fridge tight up to the side of the camper on which you wouldn't bash yourself.
    As mentioned by rogher I think the extra worktops will be too high for comfortable use for eating off so maybe not try to use them for that and instead have separate table for the passenger seat (ie on a pole) with a flip up one mounted lower down the side of the fridge cabinet itself, or even just use trays?

• Like it Like it x 1
  20. Wissel

Wissel Funster

Ratings:
    +1,850
    Some good suggestions there @Minxy Girl - thanks.

I need to remove my old batteries to see what space can be created tbh. I've seen where people have dug batteries in this location, into the floor insulation. I'm fairly sure mine are sat on a platform in the seat base. Maybe this can be removed?

batteries.jpg
    This is my current setup (same under each seat). these batteries measure 302mm x 172mm x 225mm high.

The bank I'm almost ready to order will measure 362mm x 224mm x 306mm high.

I think width and length under the passenger seat would be fine. It's the extra 81mm height that could be an issue.

Having said that, I'm starring the image above and if the platform does lift out I think that alone could free up at least 60mm.

The drivers seat will have a lowered base, so out of the question. But I should be able to fit the charging system and hopefully the inverter here.

Think I might take a look at this tomorrow :)

• Nice One! Nice One! x 1