Michelin camper tyres disappointment (1 Viewer)

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our new van has Michelin agility camper tyres fitted 225/75 r16.

We have had the van 6 months but due to lockdown only really started to use it now. Having come from a rear wheel drive transit that had to have van tyres due to their size we are extremely disappointed that these camper tyres seem to have no grip on damp grass and slight mud.

I don’t really want to buy 4 new tyres but not sure what to do. I feel like we may end up getting stuck now where our previous RWD van would just cruise by!!

I need to buy a spare wheel-

would changing just the front two tyres be ok? Then I could use one as an emergency spare? My gut tells me this isn’t ideal! In a non covid world we would do 8-9000 miles a year.

thanks

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Thanks- I appreciated it would be as good but this van/tyre combo is dreadful!

I am collecting some monster mats tomorrow to use and hope this may be enough but I doubt it!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
We use sand boards from a 4x4 site the wheels don’t sink in and can drive off more easily

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Front wheel drive is always going to be not as good as rear wheel on mud etc. May be try some snow socks or park on boards to make moving off easier
Do snow socks work on mud?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
A few members on here have commented on the poor grip of the Michelin Agilis tyres. I have them,and have not had any problems. However the rear tyres are now showing some cracking in the side walls and I will be changing them soon......but not yet sure to what.

What pressure are your front tyres? Michelin recommend 80psi,which gives you a bone shaker ride. Reduce to 60psi and you’ll get a better grip and better ride.

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
You can take it from me and others that the michelin agillis camping tyres are crap, awful ride quality, bordering on dangerous in the wet.
Your choice of course, i can thoroughly recommend michelin agillis crossclimate tyres, like night and day compared to the ones you have.

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I have noticed a trend towards motorhomes and campers being fitted with all terrain tyres. If you need them permanently fitted perhaps your travels would be better in a 4x4.
From my Landrover days we used to call wet grass green ice.

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
We did put all climate tyres on our last van the mpg did drop slightly though. I do think all climate maybe what we change to eventually!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
To be fair, wet grass is REALLY slippy. Even 4x4s can get caught out on a mild incline of wet grass if they've got road tyres on.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
You can take it from me and others that the michelin agillis camping tyres are crap, awful ride quality, bordering on dangerous in the wet.
Your choice of course, i can thoroughly recommend michelin agillis crossclimate tyres, like night and day compared to the ones you have.
Do not agree, Michelin CP tyres seem OK to me, wet or dry. OK on wet grass providing you are carefull.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Do not agree, Michelin CP tyres seem OK to me, wet or dry. OK on wet grass providing you are carefull.
I agree with you to date no issues in the wet or dry if your in a field gently as you go and my thought is if you do park in a muddy field it’s going to be a farmer pulling you out if it’s that bad. Regarding noise and harshness again ours do not seem overly noisy or harsh some BMWs I have had provide a harsher (firm) ride

Reactions: 68c
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
When I got my last van, it had a mix of random brands on it. It would wheelspin very easily and even the smallest amount of damp and it'd understeer horribly. I changed them for Continental VanContact 4Season. Went over the Alps several times with slush on the road and didn't have issues through the hairpins. Driven through torrential rain and never felt a problem. Been driving on the motorway after really heavy rain and crossed through standing water at 50mph and barely felt it, but the Mini next to me had a massive aquaplane tank slapper. Did 20k miles and the fronts looked about 60% worn and rears were still like new. I went up a size (215 to 225 on 15") and got the heavier grade tyres so I could run nice lower pressures (Continental provide a good handbook). Made the ride nice and comfortable. It did make acceleration feel a bit more sluggish and cost me a couple out of the MPG though. I'd still run them again.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Sometimes silly high pressures are recommended for these tyres and I don’t see this as helpful when on slippery surfaces. Carthago give some alternative pressures that are much more helpful.
536DA3E1-5E72-4583-AA96-7786B1FB49E5.jpeg

OP
OP
S
Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Sometimes silly high pressures are recommended for these tyres and I don’t see this as helpful when on slippery surfaces. Carthago give some alternative pressures that are much more helpful.View attachment 497657
Ahh yes I think maybe our tyre pressures are far too high! I hope to get on the weighbridge soon so I can adjust them!!

Mar 1, 2015
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Frankia 840GD
Exp
Since 2015
I was on a meet the other week. a 4X$ with road tyres on tried to pull a van off. Not a hope in hell, it just slid sideways. They tried a disco with off-road tyres on and no trouble at all.

The last time I got stuck I was told to try and reverse off and it seemed to do the trick as the van was acting like a RWD.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not just wet grass Michelin CP don't have any grip on tarmac diabolical tyres shouldn't be allowed to be sold. Even with lower pressures the ride is a bone shaker.
Changed mine well before they were worn out for Toyo Observe Van, far better grip, nice comfortable ride.

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I’ve driven thousands of miles on Michelin Agilis tyres and yes the inflation pressures need to be monitored and adjusted to your requirements and they tend to not grip as well as a rear wheel drive on grass or tarmac but if you take your time and don’t over rev when on wet grass you can get off it with care.
I have come to the conclusion that there are better out there and will change to perhaps Toyo Observe?
However I am not going to change for the sake of it but when I have to, if you think you can’t wait why not change them and advertise for sale I did this when I had Contis and wanted Michelin’s and they sold very quickly as the didn’t have many miles on them like yours😊

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sometimes silly high pressures are recommended for these tyres and I don’t see this as helpful when on slippery surfaces.
Just a thought, I suspect that recommended tyre pressures are not made up by the tea lady who works for the tyre company. Why would an average owner believe the pressures are not right when the chances are the manufacture has gone to great lengths in making the tyre and recommended pressure right and safe for the job? Only asking not criticising.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Just a thought, I suspect that recommended tyre pressures are not made up by the tea lady who works for the tyre company. Why would an average owner believe the pressures are not right when the chances are the manufacture has gone to great lengths in making the tyre and recommended pressure right and safe for the job? Only asking not criticising.
Higher pressure gives better mpg

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
All weather tyres, 4 season or whatever as long as it has the mountain Symbol and is legal in say Austria in the winter months are quite a different ride to standard tyre compound. Softer, much better grip, wear the same and so is the noise.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Higher pressure gives better mpg
A higher pressure than recommended causes tyre wear and less grip ! Again I would rather use recommended pressures than guesstimates as this can be one cause of blowouts and premature wear (under or over inflated even by a few pounds). Just saying.....and not criticising.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
No real idea but most vehicle manufacturers give different pressures for different loadings, without reference to the make of tyre. I have just gone by the Carthago manual which gives specific pressures for a range of makes and sizes.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
If the pressure is too low, then yes, you get poor MPG and adding air improves your mileage. But only to a point.

If road surfaces were perfectly smooth, then harder tyres would always be better. But as they're not, there's a benefit to the tyre having some give and deforming over the smaller imperfections. It's better that the carcass deforms over a rock than losing your forward energy by lifting the whole wheel. Plus it's more comfortable!

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
All anyone can do is what suits them, just because someone has a keyboard doesn’t make them an expert in any subject. Just do what is best for them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back