MH Down! (1 Viewer)

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Ok a little melodramatic given we are at home and the MH is parked outside but the tracker reported the battery was low after only 4 days sat on the driveway . Wife turned the key and nadda. I returned a few hours later and managed to set the alarms off and cj firmed with the panel that the leisure was full but the cab battery was virtually empty .... nothing in in at turnover not a sausage but the alarm still went off . Anyway , as it’s brand new , called the fiat A -Team and sure enough they called called back 2 hours later to say they could turn up at 10.30 .... we postponed till tomorrow as I’m not in a rush.

but it irks me that the van is “dead” ... the saga continues . Before ye ask , she has a solar and wasn’t on EHU - though I doubt that would make much difference . Plugged in now and still dead as a parrot .

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
An alarm system will create a continous draw on a the engine battery. Leisure battery will be isolated from engine so engine can run down independently although charge when driving will sort of redo both batteries. On my PVC the solar is switched (manual selection) to either the leisure or engine battery, so in drive I set to engine, if I'm out and about so moving every couple of days I set solar to leisure. A battery master will allow the solar set to leisure and that could trickle recharge the engine if it's voltage stops.

But 4 days parked up and a flat enough battery to not even hint at turning over the engine is disconcerting. Assuming the battery was in good condition and fully charges when you parked up I would expect a fortnight at least without issues. I've left a car alarmed for much longer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Yep I thought the shortness of standing to indicate a problem and I’ve left it that long before . God knows where the solar switch is but I’ll let RAC do their thing tomorrow to see if the battery is in good working condition

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If the solar is charging both batteries you have a seriously knackered battery or you have a current draw on it that shouldn't be there.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
When I had a Bongo it had a sticking relay, which intermittently would not drop out when switched off, it completely flattened the battey, and when I put it on hook up and set the charger to cab, it took out the charger as well. I had the Bongo for years after the problem first appeared and never found the fault. I just had to check that the heater fan went off after I removed the key.

If they cannot find a fault, make sure everything that should be off is off, when you shut it down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jewellbags
Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Well rac been out and confirmed it’s a crappy battery , probably have to get them out on Tuesday again so I can get the MH to fiat for the warranty replacements ..... it’s just a bloody faff

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner lysoe 744
Exp
I agree. Our seat belt broke after first use. Obviously could not drive it. Had to be transported to Brum to be fixed. We then had to collect it. Very frustrating. We have had a few issues with our new van. All teething I hope. Good luck with the battery ?

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
You do not say what motorhome or system set up you have so difficult to understand why this has happened. As your under warranty it will get sorted.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Is the OP's fridge a manual version ? A guy on another forum left his fridge on 12v inadvertently and it drained the batteries. It transpired that the manufacturer had wired up the CBE distribution board wrongly.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back