Menin Gate Ceremony, late thought !! (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Many thanks for all your replies they are much appreciated. I am going to assume a worse case scenario which finds me parked up without EHU, the temperature is freezing and my boiler will automatically dump its water. Clothes pegging the valve closed will stop the water dumping but what next. I do not have a tank water heater so how do I keep warm apart from visiting the shops !!
Many thanks once again,
Norman.
Your boiler won't dump if your heating and hot water are on, or doesn't it work on gas?

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Quick reply as at work, thanks for that. Yeah it works on gas, leave it on low l suppose you are saying.
Thank you.

Jul 29, 2017
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 530 Flash
Exp
Camping Caravanning and Motorhoming for 40yrs, last 2 Motorhoming
I managed to get in at Kemmel, Jeugdstadion was booked up 2yrs ago but I reckon they’ll be coning off the road by the sports centre to accommodate coaches. One thing’s for sure, the place will be heaving so best of luck finding somewhere.

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
As a Battlefield Guide I have been fortunate to have attended the Last Post ceremony at the Menin Gate numerous times. It never fails to be most moving. I won't be there this November. Having moved 1000 miles south of Ypres, Wellington and The Peninsular War will be my schtick now.

Having been to many commemoration ceremonies of WW1 and WW2 - 40th Anniversary D.Day [1984] and Arnhem [23rd Sept] stand out, as does the dawn ceremony of ANZAC Day [25th April] at the Australian Memorial on the downs above Villiers Bretonneaux - I would say that attending at any time is as worthwhile as attending on a 'Big Day' like 11/11/2018.

A case to illustrate. I had a US Army veteran - 82nd Airborne - and his wife to take to the 40th Anniversary of D.Day in Normandy. We had tickets to the principle ceremony at the American Cemetery at St. Laurent s Mer, overlooking Omaha Beach. The ceremony was to be attended by HM The Queen [staying offshore on Britannia], President Reagan, President Mitterand of France - the list of the Good and The Great was endless. The result was that, despite showing our tickets, I was waved on by US Miltary Police at every turning down to the beach until we reached Vierville s Mer, some 4.5 miles past St. Laurent. I was able to turn down to the beach, which is Sector Charlie/Omaha.

There we found a High School Marching Band from the US, a band from a local French school, a good few othe 82nd Airborne and other US vets, and a full programme of commemoration. It was as moving a commemoration as any I have attended but being small scale, it was intimate and personal. My client was able to chat to his comrades, the French made a great fuss of all the visitors - coffee and croissants on the house afterwards - my clients were absolutely delighted.

Afterwards, we agreed that our day had been far better than if we had had to stand for hours with many thousands of other attendees, regimented and bossed by the US Military Police, waiting on the arrival and departure of all the Big Wigs, probably with a view of the backs of the heads of several thousand other people. Because be aware that these events involve huge numbers of people. At the 91st ANZAC Day ceremony 3000 chairs had been put out - and another 2000 people stood.

Next day, after the Big Shots had all gone home, we spent a couple of hours walking around the American Cemetery at our leisure. We visited the grave of my client's CSM - tho' shortly before he was shot by a sniper he had had his stripes ripped off for persisent drunkeness. He was drunk when he wandered out into the bockage and ...

To cap it all, a German vet approached my client, having recognised his cap badge. "You know, we captured your commanding officer ... but you got him back because you captured us!" They chatted happily for several minutes when a Japanese veteran join the discussion! A GI, a German and a Japanese vet, all taking together as friends, 40 years after the dreadful years of killing each other. If we'd had attended the Main Event we probably would have moved on and never had that experience.

The Australian veteran seen at 'Cobbers' the Australian Memorial at VC Corner, pulled out his beret for the first time. His cap badge was 'Mercury: The Winged Messanger' known to all in Signals regiments as 'Jimmy'. My client had been in the same regiment in the Australian Army as my father's regiment, The Royal Corps of Signal, in the British Army.

In my experience you miss these person touches when attending major gatherings.

Attachments

• Menin Gate 05.jpg
    Menin Gate 05.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 20
  • ANZAC Day commem 1 low res.jpg
    ANZAC Day commem 1 low res.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Terry Wills-Cook at Fromelles. Orig.JPG
    Terry Wills-Cook at Fromelles. Orig.JPG
    287.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Youlostoo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2014
Pershore
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
Since 2014
Broken Link Removed There was a unit parked up the the right of the Jeugdstadion entrance when we were there this year. I would go, everyone should visit at least once in their lives.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Broken Link Removed There was a unit parked up the the right of the Jeugdstadion entrance when we were there this year. I would go, everyone should visit at least once in their lives.
I have been to the Last Post ceremony many times and I know that I will struggle to find somewhere to park and yet I feel that I want to be there, even in I end up hundreds of yards away from the actual ceremony itself, impetuosity is my middle name :unsure:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
There is an Aire with 17 Motorhome spaces at Aire Kampeerautoterrein Zillebekevijver.

We stayed there last year for a couple of night when we went to the Passchendaele Remembrance Ceremony.

The Aire, inc EHU, cost €8 in 2017 with a maximum stay of 48 hours.

If you go down the lane at the left of the entrance to the Aire there are spaces to park up in the 'gaps' on the lane and if you continue past the Hotel/Restaurant you'll get to the fisherman's car park which has ample space to overnight.

It's about a fifteen minute walk to the Menin Gate.

There is a British War Cemetery close to the Aire and any visits to pay your respects would be appreciated.

We also stopped overnight in the car park by the Sports Stadium (junction of Leopold 111-Laan and Zillebeckevoetweg) – the Ceremony didn't finish until around 11pm and we, and a few more motorhomes, stayed there without any problems.

The smell of the adjacent Motorhome cooking bacon woke us up …........

Video of the Aire -

This is a video I made of one of the fallen Soldiers who was born in Chesterfield and lies in a grave in the Cemetery -

Just in our way back. We stayed two nights at Billebeke lake. NOT on the paid aire but in the car park at the bottom of the lane, past the hotel. Space for at least 10 motorhomes there and you can empty wc etc at the commercial aire. My great grandfather died on the west side of the lake. It was used for the Brigade reserve and to rest, until it started to be shelled by the germans.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Just a thought that popped into my head, i have been to Ypres three times now and i found that the locals, at least the ones that i met really friendly and helpful so maybe if you could get hold of the Mayor or the Police they might be able to put you in touch with someone that may let you stay on their property, you don't know unless you ask.

OP
OP
TUCANO
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
Just a thought that popped into my head, i have been to Ypres three times now and i found that the locals, at least the ones that i met really friendly and helpful so maybe if you could get hold of the Mayor or the Police they might be able to put you in touch with someone that may let you stay on their property, you don't know unless you ask.
I have had a similar thought myself (y)(y)

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Is it worth looking at somewhere to stay that you can get on the train to Ypres?
There is Aire at Poperinge about 10 mins by train.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
20181017_114409.jpg

This shows the free car park just past the hotel at Billebeke Lake. There are NO facilities here but you can use the facilities on the pay per night aire that you pass before you reach the hotel as they are outside the barrier.

Lat 50.840893
Long 2.905879

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Oops i mean Zillebeke Lake NOT Billebeke !!! We had a private joke about calling it BillyBong Lake and it looks as thoigh i even confused myself !!!

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Another thing we have Don is stay in one of the many museum carpark and drink ther beer and coffee
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back