Meat and dairy crossing the channel? (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
For recent crossers into France how have you got on with meat & dairy checks.
I know it's wrong but I'm planning to 'forget' again when crossing this coming June.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Stand by Jake, some posters will be saddling up tall horses before they respond ;)

Meanwhile, they don't ever seem bothered about fridge contents, especially with us as the fridge is too small to hide someone. This check for additional humans, is the only one we seem to get.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
never give it a second thought.. and never been asked or checked

we just take what we want then stock up in France

but always fill the freezer with meat for the BBQ
steaks, chicken and sausages etc

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
6 trips in the last 3 years - never a problem even when searched 3 times.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think the worst that would happen is prohibited food could be confiscated. We always travel across with a bottle of milk and whatever was in the fridge at home like an opened packet of bacon.

Oh, and enough dog food to last the trip! 🐶

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
The last crossing from Harwich I left the fridge empty but forgot the tins. The guy doing the checks didn’t look in the fridge but shouted to his mate outside that he had found the beans.
Our first stop was planned to be near a supermarket so I stocked up there.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
I think the worst that would happen is prohibited food could be confiscated. We always travel across with a bottle of milk and whatever was in the fridge at home like an opened packet of bacon.

Oh, and enough dog food to last the trip! 🐶
The 'worst that could happen' is that you have your food confiscated and receive a sizeable fine. I have seen the latter happen with some (stroppy and aggressive, which likely didn't help their outcome) people trying to take what seemed a ridiculous amount of milk across into the EU!

NO meat or dairy products are allowed, whether for personal consumption or not, which you already know. So it's up to you to decide whether to 'forget' or not. You also need to be prepared to lose said food products if you don't get waved through, or have a cursory search only. If you take prohibited stuff and you're stopped and the food is 'found' then the best bet is just to be calm and polite about any penalty issued, rather than being obnoxious. Which I'm sure you would be. (Polite and calm I mean, not obnoxious!)

Reactions: DBK
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Been across about 12 times with Mrs CC loading fridge/freezer to the gunnels and never been checked or asked.
Stopped and checked for gas though every time bar one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
The 'worst that could happen' is that you have your food confiscated and receive a sizeable fine. I have seen the latter happen with some (stroppy and aggressive, which likely didn't help their outcome) people trying to take what seemed a ridiculous amount of milk across into the EU!

NO meat or dairy products are allowed, whether for personal consumption or not, which you already know. So it's up to you to decide whether to 'forget' or not. You also need to be prepared to lose said food products if you don't get waved through, or have a cursory search only. If you take prohibited stuff and you're stopped and the food is 'found' then the best bet is just to be calm and polite about any penalty issued, rather than being obnoxious. Which I'm sure you would be. (Polite and calm I mean, not obnoxious!)
If caught I would be very polite and plead absent mindedness, hopefully having stuff confiscated but no fine.
I judge from everyone's helpful comments that the odds are still very good for getting away with it.🤔🙂

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
For recent crossers into France how have you got on with meat & dairy checks.
I know it's wrong but I'm planning to 'forget' again when crossing this coming June.
Came through last week, via Tunnel. Absolutely no checks, only asked if the gas was off before we boarded.

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
One day, someone will be checked, and all hell will break loose, in the media, anyway.

So far, it's all been very flexible.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
Apparently we are not supposed to take our dogs food being meat based and technically prohibited. (Harringtons)
But as he is used to it we always do and it's never been an issue but then we've never been searched either.

As for taking other meats and cheese and the like?

Well they are one of the reasons we go there so no need for us.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
We haven’t heard much since the infamous lorry driver’s ham sandwich 🤣
Actually, on various forums and groups (including this one though I can't be bothered to try to find the specific posts again!) there have been a number of reports by people who were stopped and had their food confiscated, but without too much fuss. But overall it seems to be very few and far between.

AlunandFelicie

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner lyseo time
We made the mistake of not taking enough food for our dogs ,first and last time ,they feed their dogs some weird stuff over there! Dogs were NOT impressed ☹️ ,ham is the great equaliser though😄

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We always seem to get searched, I think it’s a PVC thing. We’re small and easy to search so quicker to fill a quota perhaps. They look in loo, wardrobe, even small cupboards but never touch the fridge. I don’t think they want the hassle.

I’d be lying if I said it was completely empty but we just put the remains of UK stuff going out.
Coming home there are few restrictions .Just make sure your Serrano ham is less than 2kg or correctly labelled and packed.

JRT

Feb 28, 2023
The former North Riding of Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Nearly did....but...
Exp
40 years caravanning.
We made the mistake of not taking enough food for our dogs ,first and last time ,they feed their dogs some weird stuff over there! Dogs were NOT impressed ☹️ ,ham is the great equaliser though😄

When we once ran out we got our Jack Royal Canin as his taste is for dry food.

Being a French brand it's readily available over the channel.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We've been checked for stowaways every time we cross whether it's Tunnel or Brittany Ferries Caen or Santander
We usually have enough food for a week but enough medication for 4 months (in case of emergency)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back