Maxview crank-up, not so good in the wind. (1 Viewer)

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
The one problem I have with mine is the rotating bezel moves down away from the ceiling so you have to push it back up to re-engage it else you turn it and nothing happens.

As it's just a interferance push fit I am not sure what to do.

Ideas anyone

S

stagman

Deleted User
The one problem I have with mine is the rotating bezel moves down away from the ceiling so you have to push it back up to re-engage it else you turn it and nothing happens.

As it's just a interferance push fit I am not sure what to do.

Ideas anyone

It sounds as if either the solid rod or the box tube is slightly too long,both items are available as spares,try shortening the solid rod slightly first ,

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
It sounds as if either the solid rod or the box tube is slightly too long,both items are available as spares,try shortening the solid rod slightly first ,
Will give it a go

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Title says it all, we've had a bit of wind today, not that bad but I've had to lower the crank-up, a gust of wind pulled it out of alignment, I don't think the locking mechanism that prevents it from rotating is up to the job.. :Sad:

Hi Jim

Is your dish the omnistat maxveiw 85cm semi automatic.

I had a look at the Alden Gosat Comfort which seems to be of the same basic design and so it maybe that there will be the same problems that your having with the wind by using this one.

I would have thought that a lot more of the funsters would have had these dishes and would have been able to give some first hand advice. If you could rely on the dealers information everything would be fine but unfortunatley we cant.

Cheers Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

Is your dish the omnistat maxveiw 85cm semi automatic.

Hi Jim

No, it's the manual crank up model.

When I first raised this issue on MHFacts there were several others who had the same problem, Maxview were quick to respond and offered to look at any that had a problem. As I recall one or two were poorly fitted and remedied by Maxview FOC. At the same time it was rumoured that Maxview were working on a 'Fix' ... this never materialised and they never got round to inspecting mine before I went to France (see emails) and have since sent me a replacement crank up mechanism which I have fitted..

To be frank, I doubt there will ever be a 'fix' and with only a few complaining Maxview are unlikely to admit one exists.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a 'cheap' £400 product ..:RollEyes:

Jim

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim

No, it's the manual crank up model.

When I first raised this issue on MHFacts there were several others who had the same problem, Maxview were quick to respond and offered to look at any that had a problem. As I recall one or two were poorly fitted and remedied by Maxview FOC. At the same time it was rumoured that Maxview were working on a 'Fix' ... this never materialised and they never got round to inspecting mine before I went to France (see emails) and have since sent me a replacement crank up mechanism which I have fitted..

To be frank, I doubt there will ever be a 'fix' and with only a few complaining Maxview are unlikely to admit one exists.

Perhaps I'm expecting too much from a 'cheap' £400 product ..:RollEyes:

Jim

I dont think that your expecting too much. The web site advertsises this product as being fit for all weather conditions and as you say its not rocket science. I know that all dishes suffer from problems with the wind however they should be able to manufacture a gearing mechanism that doesnt fall apart in the breeze. Since I'm genuinley looking to buy a dish I think that I will pose them the question. Are they working on a fix.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Latest report ..

Dish moving out of alignment, the geared brake just isn't able to hold it.. dish now wound down.

I estimate the wind speed:

sw. 22-27 knots = force 6 on Beaufort scale, Strong Breeze Large branches in motion;

The tugger next to me is happily viewing away using a portable dish on a tripod :Angry:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Jim you have just got too laugh. Everywhere I go people have a free standing tripod or an ariel tied with string too a scaffolding pole and have no apparent problem.

The decision gets harder and harder

Cheers

Jim :roflmto:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Jim you have just got too laugh. Everywhere I go people have a free standing tripod or an ariel tied with string too a scaffolding pole and have no apparent problem.

The decision gets harder and harder

Cheers

Jim :roflmto:

Yes indeed, that was what I used prior to the cranky cranky...
I bought the cranky to make it easier and quicker when only stopping for a night..

Cheers

Jim

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Crankup

Fitted a new crank up dish a couple of weeks ago and went to C&CC rally at Brean Sands this weekend, first three nights was ok but last night (28th) the wind was pretty blustery about 20 to 25 mph, and the Crank up dish moved twice in a short time, ended up lowering the dish for the rest of the night. Am wondering if I made the wrong choice. I shall be getting in touch with the supplier tomorrow.:Angry:

Jim.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Fitted a new crank up dish a couple of weeks ago and went to C&CC rally at Brean Sands this weekend, first three nights was ok but last night (28th) the wind was pretty blustery about 20 to 25 mph, and the Crank up dish moved twice in a short time, ended up lowering the dish for the rest of the night. Am wondering if I made the wrong choice. I shall be getting in touch with the supplier tomorrow.:Angry:

Jim.

Hi Jim, please let us know what the out come is.

Cheers

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Jim.

Hi Jim

I've been complaining to Maxview and posting in forums about this problem for 18 months.. to no avail .. it would help if you added your complaint to mine. It would be interesting to see his response.

Maxview manager

Phillip Newbury

phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk

Cheers

Jim

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I lower mine in wind as well as ratchets seems to be stressed.

let me know how it goes all.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Hi Jim

I've been complaining to Maxview and posting in forums about this problem for 18 months.. to no avail .. it would help if you added your complaint to mine. It would be interesting to see his response.

Maxview manager

Phillip Newbury

phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim

Just sent an email too Maxview

Good Morning

It was my intention to purchase a Maxview Crank Up Satellite Dish however there appear to be a number of genuine complaints being made regarding this product.

The overriding problem appears to be that the gearing mechanism is too fragile and the locking mechanism which I believe is made from plastic will not hold the dish steady in wind.

I am not talking about severe wind speeds here rather winds that are perfectly normal.

Some people have reported that you are redesigning the gearing mechanism too with stand the wind. Is this the case?.

It is obviously pointless buying a dish that moves position whenever the wind blows and even necessitates bringing the dish down to stop it from being damaged.

A response concerning these issues would be appreciated.

Very Best Regards
Cheers

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Place Your Bets Please

100-1 Yes we know, crap arn't they

50-1 Yes we know we will send you an uprated kit

20 -1 We are sorry you have read poor reports about our product

5-1 We are aware of some disatisfaction and are working on a solution

2-1 We are not aware of any problems with the maxview gearing

Evens- we make no specific claim as to wind speeds or suitability of our products in these curcumstances

Odds on- NO Reply

Place your bets please:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Maxview crank up dish

Hi Jim

Maxview manager

Phillip Newbury

phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim,
Have sent a email to Phillip Newbury complaininng about the dish moving in the wind.And also to the shop that supplied the dish.

Jim.:thumb:

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980

Evens- we make no specific claim as to wind speeds or suitability of our products in these curcumstances

Odds on- NO Reply

Geo

Hi GEO

You may well be right but what would you do. Sit and do nothing. If enough people complain and stop buying these products then something may get done. In addition, there may be other people out there who are considering buying this product. Wouldn't you like to know about it if it was bad buy?

Cheers

Jim

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Odds on- NO Reply

Geo

I already know the answer Geo it's

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I have had the same problem, loads of us must have. Another one which needs their attention if they are looking at the gearing is in Hot weather. Something expands and makes it impossible to turn and when your south for the summer ie south france italy etc tuning in is harder anyway. Why not fit a second handle that rotates the dish would not be hard to do.

Lets hope they reply

Lampie

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
tongue in cheek !

i have a Baird 9 inch TV (circa 1951) a couple of the Edison valves are approaching retirement age ! where might i be able to obtain replacements for same and as digital TV is imminent where might i obtain a digibox that will enable me to be dragged (colour-wise) into the present age ! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Email received today

We are very concerned to hear that you are still encountering problems with your Maxview satellite sytsem.

To establish what is causing the problem and resolve any issues I would like to inspect the system at your convenience.

I have agreed to an inspection, will report back in due course.

Harp07

Free Member
May 25, 2008
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
Since 2008
Maxview crank up dish

Hi Jim

Maxview manager

Phillip Newbury

phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim Have sent PM to you about Email from Maxview.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Well, the long story has come to a conclusion .. sort of..

Maxview insist there is no design or manufacturing issues and they have hundreds of satisfied customers.. with only three complaints..

They inspected my system and found no fault with either the dish or the installation.

As a gesture of good will they offered to exchange my crank up for a wind up model with a discount of £100 ..

I responded, saying I wasn't spending another penny on a Maxview product nor did I want a large hole in my roof.

I suggested that they supply, FOC, a wind up model and let me keep the crank up.. in return I would report back on the performance of the two systems.. this suggestion was declined, no surprise there.. :RollEyes:

Throughout the dispute Maxview were courteous and helpful but it's not a satisfactory outcome...

My assessment of the crank up..

A good product, well constructed that performs well, easy to align and tune-in.. but let down badly by a poor braking system on the rotating shaft..

Wind speeds/gusts above 25 knots and it blows off signal..

A disappointing purchase :Sad:

So if Mr Maxview reads this.. it's.. still .. NOT SO GOOD IN THE WIND

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
am i missing something here Jim.........i thought crank up and wind up were the same thing just different terminology. what is the difference?

cheers
john.

Maxview have two wind up manual models..

The Crank up.. with a ceiling mounted control.. Link Removed

The Wind Up .. with a shaft which fixes to n internal wall
Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Maxview have two wind up manual models..

The Crank up.. with a ceiling mounted control.. Link Removed

The Wind Up .. with a shaft which fixes to n internal wall
Link Removed

thanks Jim....i didnt know they made one like that.
i thought that system was for a terestrial TV aerial......you live and learn.:thumb:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Just found this thread....

i too have a crank up maxview, and it moves in the wind, i have found the part inside where the ratchet is is only a push fit, and if the bezel has moved down a little from vibrations as we drive along, the dish will slip in the wind even more, so i have to push it back in place,

i first mentioned this on a forum back in 2005 i believe, was at the stratford show and it got windy and kept blowing the dish out of alignment,
after the 5th re-alignment i just wound it down, and to be honnest i havent used it much since.

should really complain shouldent i, but never thought to as i bought the dish second hand (well, it was an unwanted prize, and had been used as a demonstator on the maxwiew stand apparantly)

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Just found this thread....

i too have a crank up maxview, and it moves in the wind, i have found the part inside where the ratchet is is only a push fit, and if the bezel has moved down a little from vibrations as we drive along, the dish will slip in the wind even more, so i have to push it back in place,

i first mentioned this on a forum back in 2005 i believe, was at the stratford show and it got windy and kept blowing the dish out of alignment,
after the 5th re-alignment i just wound it down, and to be honnest i havent used it much since.

should really complain shouldent i, but never thought to as i bought the dish second hand (well, it was an unwanted prize, and had been used as a demonstator on the maxwiew stand apparantly)

Hi

Send a report to phil_n@maxview.ltd.uk

Maxview are in denial about this issue :Angry:

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread