Maxview crank-up, not so good in the wind. (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's fairly sheltered where we are, windy but not stormy.
Do I expect too much.. I don't think so, the mechanism isn't man enough for the job.. Roof doesn't flex, it's made of plywood

Don't underestimate wind, Mr Fish did.

If they improve the lock then something else breaks. They fix that, something else breaks. And suddenly your roof can't take the weight.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Don't underestimate wind, Mr Fish did.

If they improve the lock then something else breaks. They fix that, something else breaks. And suddenly your roof can't take the weight.

Do you have a Maxview Crank Up Brian ?

If not then your hardly qualified to say whether it's fit for purpose or not, as far as I'm concerned the lock and cranking mechanism isn't fit for purpose, forget the wind .. it's a crap design, end of story.

Alden, Camos, Wingard, and a host of others don't suffer from this, and it's not only the wind, the design is flawed, the mechanism is held in place with a single spring clip.. if it slips ( and it will) the cranking mechanism is liable to fall on the floor while travelling.. see previous poster..

Dai Motorhome

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Burnham on Sea, Somerset
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
Thank you to all the people who have posted here. i'm looking for a crank up system at this time, and certainly won't be looking at Maxview products given the opinions expressed here.
cheers
David

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Just seen thisand couldn't resist posting. IMHO the rotating dial.windup mechanism is one of the worst examples of industrial I've ever seen. Just two very small moulded plastic lips to hold the ceiling unit in place! When it falls out as it usually does, it's a real pain to reinsert. I wouldn't recomend Maxview to anybody

Malcolm

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you to all the people who have posted here. i'm looking for a crank up system at this time, and certainly won't be looking at Maxview products given the opinions expressed here.
cheers
David
David, Did you find a good quality crank-up dish?

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Jim. Probably best I start a new thread. Sorry for hijacking your other thread regarding sat dish system :oops:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Thanks Jim. Probably best I start a new thread. Sorry for hijacking your other thread regarding sat dish system :oops:
no probs.. good luck with the search..

if you want a hand crank, I'd look at the Camos Crank-up

Broken Link Removed

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Is it possible that Maxview have ironed out this issue.
I recently bought the next generation 85cm crank up, and its maiden voyage was Devon and Cornwall in what i can only describe as 'bloody windy weather'.
There were no issues whatsoever even though the mh was rocking in the wind. The only reason I put it down in the end was because I didn't want to rip a dustbin lid sized hole in the roof!
I am now in Costa blanca with it and can receive the usual sky stuff on the wider beam albeit very low qulity signal but still watchable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have the Camos crank up and it seems to be less effected by wind due to its shape. I was also told that the crank mechanism was a heavy duty American unit. Ours is about six years old and used for up to 1oo days a year and has had no problems but it is now getting a bit sloppy and worn.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back