Max towing weights, what is the maximum with a MH. (1 Viewer)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Its not an Alko chassis, its all Fiat, the Fiat chassis tag under the bonnet as origionally fitted by Fiat and also I found on google images a picture of side by side chassis plates, one from the manufacturer where the Alko plate uprated the original by 500KG
I was referring to the general comment that any unused load can be transferred to a trailer thereby exceeding the towed weight indicated on the latest vehicle plate.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I don't see that as being right, the towing weight will have been decided by Alko who know what their chassis will take, you can't simply increase that because the van is lighter.

It is given that the trailer being referred to has a capacity of 2,600Kg.

Edit: I see that I missed your point! Your point does assume that the delta between the plated GTW and GVW is the towing limit. I’m not sure that it is as simple as that. I suspect brake performance may be a key factor in the setting of GTW.

Ian

Last edited:

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
I tow a trailer with a plated MAM of 2600 kg with my Fiat Moho with 2000 kg towing limit . Perfectly legal as long as it is loaded and does not exceed the vehicles maximum trainweight .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
I was referring to the general comment that any unused load can be transferred to a trailer thereby exceeding the towed weight indicated on the latest vehicle plate.

Sorry if I was not clear, I dont want to exceed any limits on the MH or trailer, I merely stated that some of the things I have carried in the MH which were for use with the items on the trailer which probably wont exceed 1400KG could be put on the trailer so as to lighten the MH. The aim being to usae spare capacity on the trailer and reduce the laden weight of the MH a more balanced load?

OP
OP
sam496
Sep 27, 2017
Herts
Funster No
MH
Adria coral 660SL
Exp
2 weeks
It is given that the trailer being referred to has a capacity of 2,600Kg.

Edit: I see that I missed your point! Your point does assume that the delta between the plated GTW and GVW is the towing limit. I’m not sure that it is as simple as that. I suspect brake performance may be a key factor in the setting of GTW.

Ian

It seems to be the rule by which max towing weights are derived as long as the trailer is manufactured and homologated to that limit thens its own brakes should be capable of stopping it, I just looked at a Baileys spec it gives several figures one is the MTPLM for the MH loaded 3500
2nd is the MH without any extras (food people etc) which is 3050 then it gives a figure of the delta as being the max load that goes in the MH
it goes on to quote the max train weight as 5500 and max towing weight as 2000.

Last edited:

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
Sorry if I was not clear, I dont want to exceed any limits on the MH or trailer, I merely stated that some of the things I have carried in the MH which were for use with the items on the trailer which probably wont exceed 1400KG could be put on the trailer so as to lighten the MH. The aim being to usae spare capacity on the trailer and reduce the laden weight of the MH a more balanced load?

That's what I do in that the vehicle only weights about 1100 kg and the trailer about 500 kg which allows a spare 400 kg for in the car on the trailer . The important thing is not to exceed any plated weights .

Towing limits are quoted and based on a fully laden vehicle .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I tow a trailer with a plated MAM of 2600 kg with my Fiat Moho with 2000 kg towing limit . Perfectly legal as long as it is loaded and does not exceed the vehicles maximum trainweight .
As long as the total weight of the trailer is no more than 2000kg

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
That's what I do in that the vehicle only weights about 1100 kg and the trailer about 500 kg which allows a spare 400 kg for in the car on the trailer . The important thing is not to exceed any plated weights .

Towing limits are quoted and based on a fully laden vehicle .
Towing limits are decided by what the chassis can safely deal with, nothing to do with whether the vehicle is fully loaded or not.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back