Max fan deluxe (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have a 400x400 vent, & thinking of a Maxxfan deluxe to go in, instead. What I can’t find out, is, how far over hang would be needed, because I want to put Solar panel against it. Does the sloping part of the fan unit close down over the roof when switched off, or does it stay in the raised position at all times?
Any one. 😯

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
The standard maxair/fantastic fan is smaller when closed but to open in the rain you would need the extra maxair cover to prevent rain coming in---- we have used them for years and highly recommend them!
There is also an automatic/ remote control fantastic fan that will close automatically in rain

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Guys, great help.
I’m not bothered about opening in the rain so maybe do without the cowle.
Will look at the max air fantastic.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
+1 for the Maxxfan. I replaced our habitation air con unit as it was hardly ever used. The Maxxfan we used longer on one trip than we ever did with the aircon over an 11 year period.

Particularly like the reversible feature which means it can be used as an extractor as well - handy for us because it just so happens to fit over the kitchen area and for the first time ever the smoke alarm didn't go off when I was cooking Sunday Breakfast! :roflmto:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
+1 for the Maxxfan. I replaced our habitation air con unit as it was hardly ever used. The Maxxfan we used longer on one trip than we ever did with the aircon over an 11 year period.

Particularly like the reversible feature which means it can be used as an extractor as well - handy for us because it just so happens to fit over the kitchen area and for the first time ever the smoke alarm didn't go off when I was cooking Sunday Breakfast! :roflmto:
Thank you for that, definitely sounds the way to go, just got to get round the Solar panel bit. Maybe I can fit the deluxe without the cowl. Need to look into it.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Don't think you could fit the Maxxfan without the cowl, it's an integral part.
As regards the solar panel remember if you do fit it close to the vent when the cowl is open (it doesn't actually have to be open, just works better) you may get shading of the panel and it doesn't take a lot to seripously reduce the output.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you are thinking that the Maxxfan delux will take up too much room for your solar panel,if there is a little edge to your panel then it should fit mounted next to the vowel of the fan if it is a slim line s/panel as there is a gap on one side of the vowel.
I great thing about the delux is that when it is closed there is still a little air that comes through so helps to clear any stale air or condensatio, without feeling ‘drafty’

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Don't think you could fit the Maxxfan without the cowl, it's an integral part.
As regards the solar panel remember if you do fit it close to the vent when the cowl is open (it doesn't actually have to be open, just works better) you may get shading of the panel and it doesn't take a lot to seripously reduce the output.
Thanks again, for your input, yes I understand that shading would effect the panel but at the end of the day, I m limited for space, and with that in mind, i’m looking at NDS panels, not cheap but supposed to be very efficient. I have sort of decided that if I fit anything, I want it to perform. Hence, looking at Maxxfan.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you are thinking that the Maxxfan delux will take up too much room for your solar panel,if there is a little edge to your panel then it should fit mounted next to the vowel of the fan if it is a slim line s/panel as there is a gap on one side of the vowel.
I great thing about the delux is that when it is closed there is still a little air that comes through so helps to clear any stale air or condensatio, without feeling ‘drafty’
Thanks for that, still weighing it up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Depends, as I said earlier, if you have the flexible solar panels they could fit under. Not the rigid picture frame type though.
Yes the panels i am looking at , are slim, semi flexible, I believe.

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
london
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Keep an eye on the lid they tend to stick and this puts a strain on the motor when opening. I tend to use the manual opener first to break the seal after any period of non use. Then the auto system can be used via the remote.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
You could raise the panels?
Then no shadows...
View attachment 443225
View attachment 443226
Only thing is, it is already a high top Transit, (which I like for convenience ), but don’t want to increase the height any more than I have to. It’s all a compromise isn’t it. The panels that i’m looking to get are DMS C5890. 1470x665x60. They would literally, just fit in the space behind my current hatch opening, but with only 30mm to spare. I’m wondering if I could just raise the Maxxfan on a 60 mm plinth, so that when it closes it would rest or hover just above the panel. I know this would cover a fraction of the panels, but I am hoping, as both panels are rated to max out 180W each, what I would get would be enough for my needs, and if I can find some 500mm wide panels , I could add them along each side of the fan. I’m talking like a Pro, but never fitted any before.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Keep an eye on the lid they tend to stick and this puts a strain on the motor when opening. I tend to use the manual opener first to break the seal after any period of non use. Then the auto system can be used via the remote.
Great tip, thank you.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2015
Newbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 1970
How much do they restrict light compared to the normal roof light? The maxxfan that is, not the solar panels

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Solar panels are badly affected by shading. It doesn't just reduce the amount of power proportionally to the shaded area. It is much worse.

Also, you might want to be wary of semi-flexible panels. Many people, myself included, have found them to be very unreliable. It seems the framework and gaps underneath for ventilation are required to stop them overheating. In my case, the cells themselves seemed to desolder themselves internally.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Solar panels are badly affected by shading. It doesn't just reduce the amount of power proportionally to the shaded area. It is much worse.

Also, you might want to be wary of semi-flexible panels. Many people, myself included, have found them to be very unreliable. It seems the framework and gaps underneath for ventilation are required to stop them overheating. In my case, the cells themselves seemed to desolder themselves internally.
How long ago was it you bought them?
Did that mean getting rid!
What have you got instead?

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
How long ago was it you bought them?
Did that mean getting rid!
What have you got instead?

It was a long time ago. Currently fitting out a new van and haven't bought solar for it yet. Will probably bit 3 x 130W rigid panels in series to a Victron MPPT.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gents
Nov 7, 2018
Bristol UK
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
It was a long time ago. Currently fitting out a new van and haven't bought solar for it yet. Will probably bit 3 x 130W rigid panels in series to a Victron MPPT.
Thanks for coming back, I’m still looking, I do get the impression that all Solar & Battery tech has moved on quite a bit. It’s always the same, R n D goes on, putting whatever you purchase out of date. What can we do?
Good Luck with the New fit out.

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit selfbui
Exp

I agree, the extractor function is brilliant, it works better than our cooker hood at home!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back