Marquis Berkshire motorhome update (1 Viewer)

Aug 28, 2021
Oxford, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Kingham
Exp
I'm a newbie
Here is the latest in my saga about a motorhome purchased from Marquis Berkshire that I still don't have after seven weeks.

Firstly, am I doing this right by starting a new post each time there's a substantial update to the story? If feel that things could be missed by forum browsers if I just kept adding to the original post - and the thread would be multiple pages long by now and a tad confusing with all the replies, quotes and off-on-a-tangent comments.

First thing this morning I rocked up at the dealership with the documentation and proof I apparently needed to satisfy their anti-laundering 'policy', even though I just want the money paid back into the account it was paid from. There's surely not much of an opportunity to launder money by doing that! Still, I had the necessary and wanted to do it in person to avoid any further excuses. At this point I have lost all confidence in Marquis because of the delays and less than transparent information I had (not) received about the fact I would have to wait an indefinitely number of weeks to take collection, even once I'd paid for my van.

I met with the new Sales Manager since the original guy who sold me the van had left.

I said that as well as the remainder £75.5k refund, I also wanted a return of the £3000 deposit and to cancel the sale altogether. I told him that had I been told on my initial enquiries about the vehicle that I would still be waiting for it with no idea of an actual date of collection by October, I would have never gone ahead with the order.

New Sales Manager blew cold on my deposit refund and said Marquis has things in its contract to 'protect itself'. I told him that I wanted him to call head office to instigate the process of refund there and then and he flat out refused to do that. He said that there is a process that must be followed and he would be doing it later today. I stayed very calm (no voice raising etc.) but he was actually hostile to me, telling me I wasn't listening to him. Given the way I have been treated, any professional person would let me have my say but he just didn't want to listen to me and got up and walked away several times while I was explaining the situation and saying how unsatisfactory it all was.

I'm going to get stick from people in this forum but I left him with the details and he said that he would be back in touch later today or by 'first thing' tomorrow morning. When I pressed him on what he meant by first thing he got really shirty and said 'first thing means 10am because we don't open until 9am'.

Yes, I'm sure a lot of people would've chained themselves to the desk or refused to budge but I'm just not like that. With his assurance that he would sort it out and would speak to him director about the deposit refund, I left. I was red of face and fuming inside and it felt like leaving the headmaster's office. I'm subsequently annoyed with myself that I left but there you are.

I wrote a long and formal complaint which included everything that had happened, with date etc. and sent it via their website. Part of my complaint was now about the attitude of New Sales Manager (NSM) and, ridiculously, the Marquis website provides no details of where to send the complaint, stating only that you should email it to your local branch who would forward it on. I called NSM and asked him to give me direct contact details. He resolutely refused to do so. When I asked why he said it was because the process has to be followed. It seems obvious that Marquis is structured in such a way as to protect their head office directly wherever possible.

I sent him my complaint and used their online form to also forward it to the Head Office option in the dropdown menu. No actual email address or telephone available.

This afternoon I have been called by the company Sales Directory. He was much more calm and professional, even though all he did was explain the situation again despite the fact I am very aware of it by now and told him so.

Just in case I've not made it clear, here it is in a very brief nutshell.

Marquis needs a code from Stellanis. They then provide that code to the DVLA who issue the V55 on the vehicle which means they can they register it formally to me and it becomes road legal. Stellanis are not delivering that code despite 'numerous requests'. Sales Director guy told me what NSM and others have told me previously, that the 'big guns' of the company are now involved in trying to get this code from Stellantis.

Of course, at this point I couldn't really give a monkey's. I've had enough of dealing with Marquis and do not wish to give them any more of my custom. I have explained that I want to cancel the whole thing and have a refund of my deposit as well.

+ 10 minute pause +

That pause is because as I am writing, I've had a call from the Assistant Manager from Marquis. He has again explained the situation and was another level up again in professionalism and politeness. At this point I am convinced that this is as much a frustration for them as it is for me. I think it's a inexcusable way to run a business (to sell something you can't necessarily provide) so I'm not excusing that, but I do believe given we are where we are that they are doing what they can to progress things.

Apparently every other company they deal with has an online system in place but Stellantis still conduct business by paperwork in the post. That's not my problem, obviously. Every person I have spoken to at Marquis has told me they are all aware of the delays with Stellantis and THAT is my single gripe.

To repeat it again, nobody at any time warned me there could be a delay. Even if it didn't happen all the time with Stellantis, it happens enough that it's a known issue within the company and I should have been told that I could be waiting an indefinite time for my vehicle. That was never mentioned until after everything was paid and I had a date to collect it, which was then cancelled. At best that's negligent, at worst it might be described as a bit shady. The bottom line is that I would never have gone ahead with the sale had I known I would still be waiting in October, still without hint of an actual date.

I now have promises right up the line - from the branch manager to the company sales manager to the company assistant managing director (assistant to the managing director ;) - joke) that they will all get back to me tomorrow with details of my refund.

Is this situation ideal? No. Far from it. Am I doing what I personally am able to do? Yes.

What I hope will be a final update will follow.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Having bought a MOHO from Marquis I can say it's more than minutes, they have been giving very bad service for years. It took over a year and several visits to get the air-con fixed, during that time the service manager changed twice. I assume they have trouble retaining staff as well as customers and
I wonder how many people buy from them more than once
You have to ask yourself, why do we (the wider MH community) still use them.

Unless Of course it’s just their Berkshire dealership.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
What a load of bollocks, all they need to register it is the Certificate of Conformity which should be supplied with the vehicle and not by Stellanis as that one is irrelevant it is the converters C of C you need to register.

Just more lies like they lied about driving on trade plates.

This ^^^^^

Only CoC that came with ours was from the converter, which in any event would supersede any from the base vehicle manufacturer.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
What a load of bollocks, all they need to register it is the Certificate of Conformity which should be supplied with the vehicle and not by Stellanis as that one is irrelevant it is the converters C of C you need to register...
As SirPooley is buying an Autosleeper, and Autosleeper own Marquis that should be very simple to re-issue.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I don't know what model autosleeper he's buying but if it's a coach built they appear to be selling used ones for more than 75 grand.

Upvote 0
Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
You have to ask yourself, why do we (the wider MH community) still use them.

Unless Of course it’s just their Berkshire dealership.
Unfortunately there are always sufficient new ignorant punters and many don't use forums.I tried to post a link to this on a number of Facebook groups just for information and none passed the moderators.One can only try

Upvote 0

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Surely the Marquis dealer network is massively letting down its sister company autosleeper?

it’s a competitive enough market already for Brit manufacturers, surely they don’t need this?

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I can’t weigh this up, Marquis have the motorhome at their premises, SP has seen this , been in it, it’s stored now away from other vans for sale.

I can’t understand why Marquis are doing this, the van is there, he’s paid for it, what have they done wrong/what could have gone wrong. If it’s that easy to register why haven’t they done it and gave him the van?
Because, I suspect, Marquis Berkshire do not own it.

Marquis Berkshire is a franchise operation, so do not have any real money behind them.
The head office has limited powers over a franchise operation.
If the franchisee choses to close the company, there is nothing head office can do about it.

The real owner (the supplier?) is no doubt insisting on their money in the bank before they release the vehicle.
Marquis Berkshire have sold it and got the money.
But due to cash flow issues the money has been spent on other more pressing items

Hence current stalemate.

First one to get the he van onto a low loader wins!
The other will get nothing.

Upvote 1
Jul 2, 2019
Rugby
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2019, folding camper for many years.
I wondered if perhaps they have not paid Peugeot for the base vehicle so Peugeot are holding onto the c of c till they get paid. I really hope you have a resolution today, keeping fingers crossed for you 🤞

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As an FYI:
We are the first registered owner of our van according to the V5.

We bought it at 18 months old with 6,500 miles on the clock.
It had been used as the dealers demo van, so had been to all the trade shows.

We know from several people we have met who recognised the van.
We have also found pictures of our van on a couple of unconnected web sites.

We know it was owned by a lease company, then the dealers, then a trade show team, then it was seconded into the hire fleet, then us.

So we are at least the fifth 'owner',

Which explains why our loo cassette, our wing mirrors, our TV and our wipers are all older than the actual vehicle.
We had some minor bodywork done last year (argument with a Cornish hedge), the sprayer found that at some point there had been a fairly major ding put into the rear panel at roof level that had been expertly repaired so that only an expert can spot it.

Dealers get up to all sorts of shenanigans before they sell a 'new' vehicle.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
As an FYI:
We are the first registered owner of our van according to the V5.

We bought it at 18 months old with 6,500 miles on the clock.
It had been used as the dealers demo van, so had been to all the trade shows.

We know from several people we have met who recognised the van.
We have also found pictures of our van on a couple of unconnected web sites.

We know it was owned by a lease company, then the dealers, then a trade show team, then it was seconded into the hire fleet, then us.

So we are at least the fourth 'owner',

Which explains why our loo cassette, our wing mirrors, our TV and our wipers are all older than the actual vehicle.
We had some minor bodywork done last year (argument with a Cornish hedge), the sprayer found that at some point there had been a fairly major ding put into the rear panel at roof level that had been expertly repaired so that only an expert can spot it.

Interesting but wouldn't new additions such as mirrors be newer than the van

It does not take a lot to confuse me

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Interesting but wouldn't new additions such as mirrors be newer than the van

It does not take a lot to confuse me
Yes, they should be, but they are not.

So you have to question why both wing mirrors, both wiper arms, TV, the sat nav, the cassette, and who knows what else, are all older than the van by several years.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Surely by now he ought to have his money back if it's all above board.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
SirPooley so sorry to read all your posts and still with no outcome. OH has been in motor trade for 30 yrs and said you have every right and can drive it off their premises on trade plates. Otherwise he advises you get it collected on a low loader and put on your drive. It is yours, it is paid for, own it and stop them bulls**tting any more. I would have all the local/national Paparazzi there I could find at this stage. Enough is enough, you have been admirably patient and they do not deserve anymore.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I wondered if perhaps they have not paid Peugeot for the base vehicle so Peugeot are holding onto the c of c till they get paid. I really hope you have a resolution today, keeping fingers crossed for you 🤞
Peugeot C of C is illrelavent only need the Autosleeper one to register.

Upvote 0

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
SirPooley so sorry to read all your posts and still with no outcome. OH has been in motor trade for 30 yrs and said you have every right and can drive it off their premises on trade plates. Otherwise he advises you get it collected on a low loader and put on your drive. It is yours, it is paid for, own it and stop them bulls**tting any more. I would have all the local/national Paparazzi there I could find at this stage. Enough is enough, you have been admirably patient and they do not deserve anymore.
I don’t disagree, especially as there may be a whiff of insolvency in the air.

either way warranty work and after sales will be difficult, as MH dealers all seem to only honour vehicles they sold…..

Upvote 0

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Lots of noise about solicitors and courts, that is a costly and difficult route to navigate with no guarantee of a positive outcome for yourself, you have to win to recover costs and recovery is not automatic, it’s another process again. I’d go hard nosed and relentlessly for the refund. Just as marquis are exploiting their rights, so can you. If you haven’t already I would consider a consultation with The Citizens Advice Bureau so you can bat legal facts at Marquis. Good luck and wishing you a positive outcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Peugeot C of C is illrelavent only need the Autosleeper one to register.
Yea agree, and AS would have purchased the chassis long ago, as the build process takes a while….it is probably a MY 22 chassis?

Upvote 0
May 12, 2018
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2017
I suggest the UK membership of MHF write to the MD of Marquis and tell him that you have been reading about the problems purchasing a M/home from them and have therefore ruled their company out when looking for their next van.

Living in France my comments would not hold much of a threat to their profits.

Upvote 0
May 2, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Frontier
Exp
I'm a newbie
I don’t disagree, especially as there may be a whiff of insolvency in the air.

either way warranty work and after sales will be difficult, as MH dealers all seem to only honour vehicles they sold…..
I worked in insolvency and I agree but hope SirPooley gets a resolve today. Warranty would be an issue but if he gets the MH they are then surely bound to adhere to it? Thst said, I would nit want Marquis to be anywhere near anything in future, which then means they only option us refund. If I wanted the MH that much I would be taking food and a change of clothes and something to chain myself to the MH with as the choice Marquis have is to pay up or ship my MH out.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back