LIFE MEMBER
Aug 28, 2018
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi. I'm going to be travelling from Manchester to Brussels in July. I'd be interested to hear what people's thoughts are on the best way of getting there in a MH? Should I take the short drive to Hull and long ferry crossing to Rotterdam or Zeebrugge? Or take the Long drive South to take a ferry over the channel or take the tunnel? Also, is it worth joining a club etc to get a discount on ferry costs? Thanks.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Catch the Euro tunnel tea time Sunday. Easy travel and cheaper crossing. Drive 5 minutes to free parking behind Cite Europe . Drive about an hour to Brussels Simples

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
The Manchester to Tunnel route has definitely lost its attraction for us. M6, M1/M40, M25, M2? Not if there's another way. M62 over the tops, Hull to Zeebrugge then short drive to Brussels would be my choice. Not the cheapest but worth it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
If you want to do the Zeebrugge route it might be worth joining C&MC to get a discount, especially if over 8 metres.

Martin

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
We do the snake pass regularly BUT not in M/H. Though i have seen lots on there. Then we get over to worksop and take the A1/A14 - we have found travelling in the evening/night can take longer as they like to do roadworks at night time!

From the A14/A1 you can pick up the M11 though it still leaves about 20 miles of the M25 to negotiate

Upvote 0

Deleted User
We do the snake pass regularly BUT not in M/H. Though i have seen lots on there. Then we get over to worksop and take the A1/A14 - we have found travelling in the evening/night can take longer as they like to do roadworks at night time!

From the A14/A1 you can pick up the M11 though it still leaves about 20 miles of the M25 to negotiate

I've driven a similar route from the NW, though avoiding cross Pennine A roads, many times through work.

I have studiously avoided SE England and the London area in particular for many years, Portsmouth or Hull for me every time.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
No question in my mind. Definitely Hull to Zebrugge.

It’s an overnight ferry so we treat it as a mini cruise for the first day of the holiday. Then you wake up fresh on the other side, off around 9 am and then you have got as long or short a first day as you want.

Equally coming back you have a pretty full last day in Europe and a short journey back home from Hull, still feeling as if you’ve had a holiday.

Much more civilised and IMHO doesn’t take any longer than going for the tunnel. I’d certainly not drive to the tunnel from West Yorkshire, Cross over and then do a full day travel. So I’d either stop the U.K. side of the tunnel overnight, or stop overnight just after the tunnel in France. So either way, it’s a day to get over and start the European leg, and much less hassle to take the more local overnight ferry.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BamBam

BamBam

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 28, 2018
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
If you want to do the Zeebrugge route it might be worth joining C&MC to get a discount, especially if over 8 metres.

Martin

I'm under 8 metres.
I'll have a look at the cost of joining C&MC to see whether it's worthwhile and what other benefits it offers. I don't normally do campsites.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BamBam

BamBam

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 28, 2018
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
No question in my mind. Definitely Hull to Zebrugge.

It’s an overnight ferry so we treat it as a mini cruise for the first day of the holiday. Then you wake up fresh on the other side, off around 9 am and then you have got as long or short a first day as you want.

Equally coming back you have a pretty full last day in Europe and a short journey back home from Hull, still feeling as if you’ve had a holiday.

Much more civilised and IMHO doesn’t take any longer than going for the tunnel. I’d certainly not drive to the tunnel from West Yorkshire, Cross over and then do a full day travel. So I’d either stop the U.K. side of the tunnel overnight, or stop overnight just after the tunnel in France. So either way, it’s a day to get over and start the European leg, and much less hassle to take the more local overnight ferry.

I am favouring the Hull to Zeebrugge route. The only thing that puts me off is, I'm not the best at sailing!! Maybe, it's easier going overnight?

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I am favouring the Hull to Zeebrugge route. The only thing that puts me off is, I'm not the best at sailing!! Maybe, it's easier going overnight?
It’s a nice stable boat, Mrs funflair insists on that route over the Newcastle ferry as that one is like a cork bobbing about all over.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm under 8 metres.
I'll have a look at the cost of joining C&MC to see whether it's worthwhile and what other benefits it offers. I don't normally do campsites.
Under 8 metres is less of a saving with C&MC as P&O lump anything over 8 metres in the up to 12 metres and charge accordingly where the club charges for the actual space required, daft I know.

You can get other discounts with club membership as well, we got a good lump off entry to Beaulieu Museum.

Martin

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
We do the snake pass regularly BUT not in M/H.
Coming down the Snake Pass, it's normally third or second gear to control the speed down the steep slope. But once the wind was so strong I had to press the accelerator to make progress, even on the steep bits.
I am favouring the Hull to Zeebrugge route. The only thing that puts me off is, I'm not the best at sailing!!
I'm about the worst - I get sick on a trip round the harbour. Nowadays I take Kwells just before boarding, and every 6 hours, even if it's like a millpond. It doesn't seem to make me drowsy or affect my driving. It works for me, even in the Bay of Biscay in a gale. I also found out that ferries don't sell seasickness pills on board. Because they're 'medication', they said, and they're not allowed to.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hull - Europort. Brilliant. Arrive early and fresh. Minimum wear and tear on you and MH.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We live in Kent and I used to travel to the Manchester area for work a lot. The best route is over the top on the M62 then down the A1, A14, M11, M25 and then the M20 if you want the tunnel or ports. The A1 is usually less busy than either the M1 or the M6 now they have got rid of all the roundabouts.

Upvote 0

Van Si

Free Member
Jan 18, 2019
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Suntor
Exp
Just over a year
If contemplating the A1 / A14 route you do need to consider the current development scheme that is underway. Although the A1 is almost complete from Alconbury to Huntingdon and is a dream 3 lanes all the way, there are a huge amount of roadworks from both spur roads at Alconbury and Huntingdon to Bar Hill near Cambridge / M11. Most weekends there are overnight closures and if demolishing or building bridges these closures can be for the whole weekend. Due to complete in 2021, it will however make this route even more favourable!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BamBam

BamBam

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 28, 2018
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hull-Zeebrugge prices start at around £40 plus cabin in low season.

Height of summer can see £500 plus
The best price I can find for Hull to Zeebrugge on my dates is £619!!
Compared to Dover to Calais price of £110. Even with the cost of extra diesel to get to and from Dover. It would represent a big saving.

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
76C956C5-21B9-48A4-A9D4-8284506D43B6.jpeg
The best price I can find for Hull to Zeebrugge on my dates is £619!!
Compared to Dover to Calais price of £110. Even with the cost of extra diesel to get to and from Dover. It would represent a big saving.

Depends on the season/time of year as I said.

Here is half of my ticket (one way out). I git 10% off the price because we booked early

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BamBam

BamBam

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 28, 2018
Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
I'm a newbie
Depends on the season/time of year as I said.

Here is half of my ticket (one way out). I git 10% off the price because we booked early[/QUOTE]

I'm going in July. A big difference in price from March.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back