Making the change from lead acid to lithium - a thread with pictures (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
Thanks, now just have to sort out spaghetti junction behind the EBL to fit the B2B. There are wires everywhere. But with cable ties, some laminate board and some brackets it should be fine

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Thanks, now just have to sort out spaghetti junction behind the EBL to fit the B2B. There are wires everywhere. But with cable ties, some laminate board and some brackets it should be fine
It all looks better with cable ties. :)

Aug 19, 2018
Musbury, Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i414
Exp
Since 2014
It may seem a bit dim but what setting on multimeter and between D+ and what? With engine running?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Set it to DC volts in the 20v range.

The red lead goes to the D+ wire and the black lead to any ground point that’s convenient.

Should be nothing with the engine off and 13+ volts with engine running.

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
It may seem a bit dim but what setting on multimeter and between D+ and what? With engine running?
Check it without the engine running, positive on the multimeter to the D+ and negative to an earth point. Should be zero. Then repeat with engine running and should be 14V or so.
Edit - beaten by Googlebot

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Hi . f #242. Can you just remove the 20 A fuse labelled Internes Lademodul to disable the EBL30 leisure battery charging?

To return to the question of Isolating the EBL 30 mains charging when on hook up.
Rather than removing the fuse is it not possible to remove the fuse & replace with a RKURCK re-settable 12 V DC 20 amp circuit breaker.
Simply plug the wires using 6 mm spade connectors into the fuse holder. Great car will be required that the 2 wires are not shorted, but make a good connection.
This will isolate the Hab charging, whilst maintaining all the other EBL functions.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Hi . f #242. Can you just remove the 20 A fuse labelled Internes Lademodul to disable the EBL30 leisure battery charging?

To return to the question of Isolating the EBL 30 mains charging when on hook up.
Rather than removing the fuse is it not possible to remove the fuse & replace with a RKURCK re-settable 12 V DC 20 amp circuit breaker.
Simply plug the wires using 6 mm spade connectors into the fuse holder. Great car will be required that the 2 wires are not shorted, but make a good connection.
This will isolate the Hab charging, whilst maintaining all the other EBL functions.
I simply pull the 'kettle plug' out of the EBL.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
Unfortunately the EBL30 does not have that type of lead it is hard wired. Also if you disconnect the mains, you loose the display panel over the door.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003

I have lost track of this thread a bit but why not just remove the 20A fuse. This will stop the EBL from charging your battery but leave the mains light on when on EHU and allow the trickle charge to the engine battery.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
The reasons I suggest the use of a circuit breaker rather than keep removing the fuse are :-
The CB can be located in a convent location.
The fuse may get lost.
I stops me pulling the wrong fuse.

May 22, 2018
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I 678
Exp
Since 2016
I finally got round to changing to lithium over the weekend.
I was instructed by SHMBO that I was not to do the job myself, as she could not stand the stress of me doing it & getting it wrong or struggling to do it. I would have had to do it parked up outside the house.
I had the job done by Oaktree Motorhomes , Rob & his crew were very professional & helpful. They answered my many technical questions. The job is great & seems to be working fine. I will have to learn what the system / App will do & how long I can stay off grid etc.
In the end I replaced the 2 X 95 Ah AGM batteries with one 110 Ah Eco Tree LifePo4 battery. I went down the Victron route & fitted a smart shunt, Orion 30 amp B to B & a new MPPT solar controller. There is still room for a second battery if needed in the future.

Sep 2, 2020
Ferndown Dorset
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 C
Exp
Coachbult Newbie but 45+yrs caravanning
Very interesting message; would you mind giving us a ballpark figure for the total cost of the total bill as I believe my battery is on the way out and looking to do similar probably at the end of the year.

OP
OP
Googlebot
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I finally got round to changing to lithium over the weekend.
I was instructed by SHMBO that I was not to do the job myself, as she could not stand the stress of me doing it & getting it wrong or struggling to do it. I would have had to do it parked up outside the house.
I had the job done by Oaktree Motorhomes , Rob & his crew were very professional & helpful. They answered my many technical questions. The job is great & seems to be working fine. I will have to learn what the system / App will do & how long I can stay off grid etc.
In the end I replaced the 2 X 95 Ah AGM batteries with one 110 Ah Eco Tree LifePo4 battery. I went down the Victron route & fitted a smart shunt, Orion 30 amp B to B & a new MPPT solar controller. There is still room for a second battery if needed in the future.

I love my setup, one of the best things I have done on the Motorhome. 👍

Glad you got it sorted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back