Making mobile call using hands free is as dangerous as hand held calls. (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A group of MPs are proposing that Hands Free calling should be treated the same as hand held calls with the same penalty's. MPs obviously haven't got enough to think about already with a Brexit deal.. Any thoughts....

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I request passengers not to converse with me, it is very distracting. More so than a quick hands free call, but that may be because I don't get interesting phone calls.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Watching discussions on TV this morning no one was specific on what hands free referred to, most new cars now have inbuilt bluetooth connectivity some with voice control , controls on steering wheel and microphones in roof lining etc.
Are they suggesting calls using inbuilt equipment would be illegal ?

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have seen many drivers greatly distracted by talking to passengers, fractious children etc, should they also be banned?
Depends on gender matamoros, my experience is that men have no problem in talking or managing children while driving as they have no problem in processing more than one thing at a time. Now women on the other hand(n), I think I have said enough.....;)(y)

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Watching discussions on TV this morning no one was specific on what hands free referred to, most new cars now have inbuilt bluetooth connectivity some with voice control , controls on steering wheel and microphones in roof lining etc.
Are they suggesting calls using inbuilt equipment would be illegal ?
Looks like it when you are driving Larry....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
A group of MPs are proposing that Hands Free calling should be treated the same as hand held calls with the same penalty's. MPs obviously haven't got enough to think about already with a Brexit deal.. Any thoughts....

Same as talking to passengers then. One thing I try not to do.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I remember having to look down at the gear stick when I was learning to drive, so let's get gears and clutches banned. Whilst we are at it just trying to find the right switch/lever/button on today's cars is an exercise of Rubic cube proportions so MMI et al should be banned. Now where is that Air con switch?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Around twenty years ago I was responsible, in part, for updating our company Health and Safety Policy Document. We clearly stated that hands free phones should not be used whilst driving as they were a distraction. Hands free was relatively new then and death of a director at the wheel whilst using a hands free phone caused us to re-examine the case for them.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
In op manual of Govt agency I worked for they said that satnav should not be touched or looked at whilst driving I kid you not , it went on that you should pull over and stop before consulting the sat nav .
I personally believe that solo traveling with children is one of the most dangerous things whilst driving .
My wife drove our Range Rover off the road into trees when we lived in Australia , I was following in another car, due to being momentarily distracted by our baby daughter . Luckily no injury to daughter , and minor to wife . Over the years I have been to several RTC where similar cause, some with not so lucky result .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If research shows the danger is as high hands free it would make sense to either allow all phone use or ban it all.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
If they ban phones because they are a distraction they should also ban the carrying of older people, young siblings, toddlers and babies, the use of music/noise including radios, sat navs. #biggerthingstoworryabout
Like what are Dorset Police up to?

Dorset Police landy.jpg

Spotted on my way to work this morning.
Edit and ban the wearing of headphones by cyclists.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If they ban phones because they are a distraction they should also ban the carrying of older people, young siblings, toddlers and babies, the use of music/noise including radios, sat navs. #biggerthingstoworryabout
Like what are Dorset Police up to?

View attachment 324110

Spotted on my way to work this morning.
Edit and ban the wearing of headphones by cyclists.
Driving on Trade Plates?

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have a sign up in my motor home ..NO MOBILE PHONES .

For me it is equally distracting to have a passenger on their phone .. talking gibberish to her friends .. or the phone 'pinging' every two minutes when on a busy motorway. If I ruled the world there is so much that I would 'uninvent' technology wise.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Has anyone quantified the risk posed by using a hands free in the car ? I saw today in the paper that in 2017 43 deaths and 730 injuries were attributed to MOBILE PHONE use in a vehicle collision, but it did not say how many were due to HELD mobiles and how many to hands free !!

So maybe none were due to hands free usage ? Or maybe 40 deaths ? Who knows and if the Authorities are not saying and producing the figures then I am very suspicious.

Deleted User
On the Today programme this morning there was an interviewee quoting research, I can't remember who by, who stated that talking on a hands free was more distracting than talking to someone in the vehicle because of the extra mental imagery involved in thinking of the caller.

I am not too sure about that but I know that talking on hands free can be distracting but I have my doubts that it is any more distracting than talking to someone in the vehicle or the many other distractions possible when driving.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I have a sign up in my motor home ..NO MOBILE PHONES .

For me it is equally distracting to have a passenger on their phone .. talking gibberish to her friends .. or the phone 'pinging' every two minutes when on a busy motorway. If I ruled the world there is so much that I would 'uninvent' technology wise.
Depends on gender, my experience is that men have no problem in talking or managing children while driving as they have no problem in processing more than one thing at a time. Now women on the other hand(n), I think I have said enough.....;)(y)
:) Didn't I tell you so Miss ;) :giggle:
How about some head phones with noise cancelling. I keep a set of Bose in the car, very useful when passengers are of the female variety. ;)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Has anyone quantified the risk posed by using a hands free in the car ? I saw today in the paper that in 2017 43 deaths and 730 injuries were attributed to MOBILE PHONE use in a vehicle collision, but it did not say how many were due to HELD mobiles and how many to hands free !!

So maybe none were due to hands free usage ? Or maybe 40 deaths ? Who knows and if the Authorities are not saying and producing the figures then I am very suspicious.
I think the quote was that "it was a contributory factor" not exclusively. Furthermore like all journalists they did not say the true complete data, just sensational out of context bits.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
With us, mostly two people in the car and passenger can converse over the built in Bluetooth so how would you prove driver use ?

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
How can
I personally hate it when people talk to me when I am driving as I find it normally spoils the film that I am watching on the dash.

Especially after a beer to two.
how can you concentrate on a film after a beer or two, I usually have a nap ?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
What gets my goat is the stupid warning that comes up every time on most satnavs telling you not to operate it while driving. You have to press something to get rid of the message and by then you are usually driving, nobody reads the d..mned thing anyway and its just a distraction. It shouldn't be beyond possibility for it to self cancel after 30seconds or so. Or indeed come up once a day or something.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back