Make motorhome safe for the winter period (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
We have just received a text message from the Caravan and Motorhome club to say we should make sure our van is returned to storage by 6pm Wednesday and made safe for the winter period. Is there anything specific we should do to make it safe? We usually use it during the winter so have never done anything other than draining water. After the last lockdown the new battery would not work so we replaced it.
It sounds to me that they do not plan to open for some time. It is very frustrating to say the least as our mot is due in November and we would like it to be ready to use abroad by March/April, covid allowing. I know people have worse problems to contend with atm but ...

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Drain water including boiler, leave taps open, remove fabrics where possible, remove food items, leave internal doors open (we don’t do the cupboards) turn gas off. There’s more you can do but this would be a good start.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If the battery or batteries ran down you could remove them and keep them at home and topped up from time to time. Obviously, if you have an alarm then you might want to leave them in. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
See the thread posted earlier today.........

Jan 9, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Set a few mousetraps. They can get through the tiniest hole, often via the engine compartment, and they love that cosy warm foam in the upholstery. This is the time of year they come in from the fields and gardens looking for a warm dry spot to spend the winter (no Autotrail jokes!)

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
Set a few mousetraps. They can get through the tiniest hole, often via the engine compartment, and they love that cosy warm foam in the upholstery. This is the time of year they come in from the fields and gardens looking for a warm dry spot to spend the winter (no Autotrail jokes!)
I've just been down to van storage & found 3 of the little buggers (dead) in the traps I'd set - I can tell you that they like peanut butter - not only does it fatten them up - it'll be the death of them 👹

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Some good tips there. I will run the MoHo on occasions but wont need the boiler so that can be drained. Tanks are empty. The mouse traps are a good idea as our van it parked next to a field inn a compound.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
The problem with mouse traps I find is they come in as they are attracted by the smell of the bait and therefore keep coming in. We remove everything and then wipe all surfaces down with diluted Dettol or similar. Seems to work for us.

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
The problem with mouse traps I find is they come in as they are attracted by the smell of the bait and therefore keep coming in. We remove everything and then wipe all surfaces down with diluted Dettol or similar. Seems to work for us.
But what about them coming in for the warmth?????? As you we clear everything out every time we have returned from a trip, and like you disinfected wipe down.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I sometimes use chocolate spread in my mousetraps, as my daughter is allergic to peanuts.

Recently I've had the engine removed and the garage found that a fuel-pipe had been nibbled. I was told that had it been penetrated then replacement could have been difficult. Perhaps we need traps inside the engine bay?

Gordon

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We have just received a text message from the Caravan and Motorhome club to say we should make sure our van is returned to storage by 6pm Wednesday and made safe for the winter period. Is there anything specific we should do to make it safe? We usually use it during the winter so have never done anything other than draining water. After the last lockdown the new battery would not work so we replaced it.
It sounds to me that they do not plan to open for some time. It is very frustrating to say the least as our mot is due in November and we would like it to be ready to use abroad by March/April, covid allowing. I know people have worse problems to contend with atm but ...
My Augusta is in storage and needs an MOT in two weeks time, spoke to the storage people and they said "That's fine if you need an MOT it's gotta be done".

Jan 9, 2014
Monmouthshire
Funster No
MH
Niesmann + Bischoff
Exp
since 2003
Still on the subject of preparing the van for the winter - but slightly off thread - has anyone used a dehumidifier in their 'van?
I have one but I am concerned that I may cause the locker doors to warp and all the adhesives to dry out and things start to fall apart.
What relative humidity should I set it to?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Still on the subject of preparing the van for the winter - but slightly off thread - has anyone used a dehumidifier in their 'van?
I have one but I am concerned that I may cause the locker doors to warp and all the adhesives to dry out and things start to fall apart.
Ventilation is the key, unless you feel you can dehumidify the entire planet.
I remove clothing, bedding and cushions and store it all in my house.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Shut the front vent to recirculate.
I put mothballs in the van and empty a watering can of diluted Jayes fluid around the road wheels.
Plus I run a very low consumption sonic vermin do-da from the 12v cig plug.
Plus I have a 80watt tube heater plugged into a temperate operated switch from the mains, set on about 12 deg C. as I leave the van connected to the mains.
Good luck.
Mitch.

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
I've just been down to van storage & found 3 of the little buggers (dead) in the traps I'd set - I can tell you that they like peanut butter - not only does it fatten them up - it'll be the death of them 👹
I get rats as well-I leave a bated trap on top of engine and stuck a small plastic bottle bottom at side of engine with rat poison in it .Don't underestimate the damage mice can do--they ate the seat fabric on my old Autosleeper -costly,now leave 2 bated traps in over winter and check regularly.

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Must be all that cholesterol 😂

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As Spriddler said
Unless your van is hermetically sealed, all a humidifier will do is keep trying to draw water in.. same as salt or rice

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Mouse traps arrived yesterday. Will take to the van today. They are very sensitive so i am Not going to put bait in??????
"Catstrike", 6 pak £11. Plastic not wood, remember them.🐭🐭🐭🐭🐭🐭🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀🐀

The Welsh Wizard

Free Member
Jul 24, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2016
As with a caravan you could always place a number of bowls around the interior and place salt in them this will attract any humidity, but be sure to check them regularly , empty them then refill. Alternatively you can purchase small dehumidifiers from places such as Poundstretchers I think they cost about £3.99 for six which is quite reasonable and they seal any humidity/water in them .

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
I've heard that tights/popsox can be filled with kitty litter for absorbing moisture - but not tried it!

Mechanics did find a nest in the air filter on my Ducati when they were stripped it for a major service :(

Oct 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
On the government website, clearly says storage facilities can remain open. Is the clubs decision to close them. They will say they on a campsite. But they aren't, there next to it.
Like car dealers, sales closed, workshop open. All on one site.
Screenshot_20201105-142800_Samsung Internet.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back