MacBook Pro use in the Motorhome. (1 Viewer)

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Is it better to use a 12v socket charger to power the laptop (direct from the leisure batteries) rather than plugging it into an inverter socket? I haven't bought the charger yet (a recommended link for quality item would be very much appreciated) but it looks like the right thing to do. Thanks.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Better to go directly from 12V unless an inverter would be useful for other purposes.
I've not seen them for the new MacBooks (USB-C plug) though.
Take care if you use the dash socket. They draw 7A and could flatten a starter battery over extended periods.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
My MacBook Pro is old (2007) with the MagSafe power supply. I don’t think Apple made a 12v adapter at the time and did not want to risk an aftermarket version from another maker, so I fitted a small inverter. If Apple make a 12v adapter that fits yours I’d go for that, otherwise a small pure sine wave inverter is not that expensive.

OP
OP
Simon H.

Simon H.

Free Member
Feb 5, 2018
Funster No
Thanks very much for the advice and Link. I definitely go for that. Cheers

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I did use one for a 2013 Macbook Pro and it worked well. Then on an upgrade Apple changed the Mag Charger 2 so it became defunct. Though there were some adapters available. Now that Mac have moved again embracing USBC (I suspect all Computers and Phones will follow them in this regard) It's now become a bit easier and safer as you can now charge with a powerbank like the one below. Charging the bank anywhere on any old power, but it delivering clean power by USBC There are loads of these on the market, some are able to charge top spec 15 inch macs twice on a charge.

Amazon product ASIN B017YMC0YU

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back