LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As has been mentioned, I have recently been more of less forced in to replacing my main ride with a nearly bike, an MP3 HPe Sport

After speaking to Piaggio dealers all over the UK, I called M & P to see what they had for sale

What a difference !
All the other dealers left me feeling as if I was some sort of low life begging a favour..
Please sir, may I have a new bike ?

NEW BIKE !! Well I will have a look, but it means I have to go out my office... I might ring you back

M & P were simply amazing.. Bent over backwards to accommodate and help.. Nothing too much trouble.
Bike arrived yesterday in a proper kitted out bike transporting van, was spotless and had all the paperwork, keys, tools etc that you would expect
Hand over was pleasant and friendly and all my questions answered without hesitation
This morning I had a phone call from Chris, the chap I had been dealing with, making sure all was well

When I compare that with the total shite I had from a Triumph dealer ( who just could not care less once they had the money ), it is like chalk and cheese

As for M & P, gone is the old ( ok, it was several years ago ) customer service that consisted of a bully with a bad attitude, and it has been replaced with e top notch customer facing service..
You all know me well enough to appreciate I do not hand out unwarranted praise, nor do I do it lightly, but by the cringe, compared to other dealers dealt with recently they stand alone, and stand head and shoulders above others.

01792 703101 should get you there
They deal with Honda, Kawasaki, Harley and Piaggio as well as other makes

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Agree about Triumph.
Big hand to Steve Wragg at Triumph Chesterfield. Bought two bikes from him. He works hard for a sale. Others make me think they are doing me a favour even speaking to me.

Good news about M&P too

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

Bet they don’t do CCM ?

I might have to re think my bike choice now you’ve got that one.

I could keep up with your scooter no problem ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Nice one.

A year or so ago I ordered an Avon tyre from them. Totally wrong tyre arrived so I refused delivery and cancelled the order. They banned me from their on-line sales. Ebay "not a suitable customer".

But a firm email to CEO got some action and I was un-banned and discounts offered. I like to think I helped start the improvement.

Now, eagerly awaiting the road test report.

As a matter of interest I saw a YouTube test of the Viken by the california superbike school guy, he rated the two front wheels as a serious improvement over a single one. He said he got a lot more warning of the front going and easy recovery. So ENJOY.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Glad you are pleased with the 3 wheeler scooter John, it certainly looks the part in the adverts, what colour did you get?
I did see a you tube video on the Yamaha 3 wheeler last month, not the same as it was a bike and cost a fortune also, but very impressive none the less.(cant remeber who posted it on here)
Post some piccies of your new one when you get a chance.
Best wishes.
Les

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Now, eagerly awaiting the road test report.

I did do a few miles on it yesterday..
First thing.. It IS a heavy bike
For any one thinking of trying one, make sure you have you feet planted before hitting the suspension unlock button
Three of us yesterday said the same thing.. it is just weird !
Width is obviosly not a problem, in fact it is ever so slightly narrower than the BMW.
Feet position is at the moment uncomfortable .. I keep feeling my ankle against the centre tunnel.. Not a criticism more an observation, and I have no doubt I will get used to it

Talking of feet, something I really do not like is no matter HOW careful you are, the chances are you will leave feet marks on that centre tunnel, and it should have been made of a different material. I can see it getting fairly scratched up.. Again all three of us present found the same thing

Under the seat is big.. I doubt if you could get a couplle of full face helmes under ther but it takes two open face with ease.. still leaving room for some shopping

Up on the dash there is a speedo, a tacho, and in the middle an LCD display with all sorts of info inc tank range left
A vast array of idiot lights keep you informed should anything untoward occur

A nice touch is the supplied remote key fob. It has a seat release and a bike finder facility.. Hold the button and the hazzards flash for as long as said button is held. It performs other functions but as yet untried

Riding
I did not know what to expect,
A long time ago I tried one at a Piaggio open day.. It was only a small cc one and the event was on an airfield...
I rather expected to be made well aware of that third wheel
Not a bit of it.. I could not detect any difference at all in fact... It is twist and go and only about 40 bh, but is fairly nippy and held its own on the bypass dual carriageway with ease. Darrell took it out and really put it on its ear quite easily so confirmed my feeling it handles well and felt planted
I did think the brakes felt weak but new pads, new disks, with virtually zero miles on them I sort of expected that.. They should improve.
The screen is quite large but not adjustable.
At the moment it is JUST the wrong height for me and I did get some buffeting, but I modified riding position will proly sort that out

The seat is capacious to say the least, and over the short ride felt very comfy

Oh, there is a USB socket in the glove box atop the dash

All in all, so far, I award it an 8 out of ten.
One mark off for performance and the other for the easily scuffed centre tunnel
Lets just say I have had a lot worse for a lot more money !

Glad you are pleased with the 3 wheeler scooter John, it certainly looks the part in the adverts, what colour did you get?
I did see a you tube video on the Yamaha 3 wheeler last month, not the same as it was a bike and cost a fortune also, but very impressive none the less.(cant remeber who posted it on here)
Post some piccies of your new one when you get a chance.
Best wishes.
Les

It is a sort of battleship grey Les. I wanted a white one but there are none available in the UK ... and the grey is light enough to be taken for an off white.
When ( IF ! ) it stops raining I will take some pictures,but at the moment it is tucked up in the workshop with loads of bits missing already !
Rear rack is being changed to accommodate a big topbox, grips are off waiting the fitment of heated ones, and the twist grip barrel is being modified to take a Vista Cruise throttle lock

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It took ages to look that up, the Piaggio site hides it well.

But the answer is a staggering 261kg DRY.

Which is more that the 1200GS by a long way - oops.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Put a pair of these in the post for you John.. Jaws .. :winky: :giggler:

See the source image

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Nice one.

As a matter of interest I saw a YouTube test of the Viken by the california superbike school guy, he rated the two front wheels as a serious improvement over a single one. He said he got a lot more warning of the front going and easy recovery. So ENJOY.

Several Niken s were available to road test at the MCN Bike Fest Peterborough last month and it was raining so quite a good opportunity. Not my thing but not sure if bigtwin had ago?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not my thing

It's a seriously divisive bike, I just don't get them especially now that it's been pointed out they a bike license only.

Take a very attractive 900cc bike which is well liked and add a mass of weight and complexity for no overall benefit. I think it was once of those nights when the Saki was extra strong in Hamamatsu.

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
For any one thinking of trying one, make sure you have you feet planted before hitting the suspension unlock button
Three of us yesterday said the same thing.. it is just weird !
Width is obviosly not a problem, in fact it is ever so slightly narrower than the BMW.
Feet position is at the moment uncomfortable .. I keep feeling my ankle against the centre tunnel.. Not a criticism more an observation, and I have no doubt I will get used to it

Talking of feet, something I really do not like is no matter HOW careful you are, the chances are you will leave feet marks on that centre tunnel, and it should have been made of a different material. I can see it getting fairly scratched up.. Again all three of us present found the same thing

Under the seat is big.. I doubt if you could get a couplle of full face helmes under ther but it takes two open face with ease.. still leaving room for some shopping

Up on the dash there is a speedo, a tacho, and in the middle an LCD display with all sorts of info inc tank range left
A vast array of idiot lights keep you informed should anything untoward occur

A nice touch is the supplied remote key fob. It has a seat release and a bike finder facility.. Hold the button and the hazzards flash for as long as said button is held. It performs other functions but as yet untried

Riding
I did not know what to expect,
A long time ago I tried one at a Piaggio open day.. It was only a small cc one and the event was on an airfield...
I rather expected to be made well aware of that third wheel
Not a bit of it.. I could not detect any difference at all in fact... It is twist and go and only about 40 bh, but is fairly nippy and held its own on the bypass dual carriageway with ease. Darrell took it out and really put it on its ear quite easily so confirmed my feeling it handles well and felt planted
I did think the brakes felt weak but new pads, new disks, with virtually zero miles on them I sort of expected that.. They should improve.
The screen is quite large but not adjustable.
At the moment it is JUST the wrong height for me and I did get some buffeting, but I modified riding position will proly sort that out

The seat is capacious to say the least, and over the short ride felt very comfy

Oh, there is a USB socket in the glove box atop the dash

All in all, so far, I award it an 8 out of ten.
One mark off for performance and the other for the easily scuffed centre tunnel
Lets just say I have had a lot worse for a lot more money !

It is a sort of battleship grey Les. I wanted a white one but there are none available in the UK ... and the grey is light enough to be taken for an off white.
When ( IF ! ) it stops raining I will take some pictures,but at the moment it is tucked up in the workshop with loads of bits missing already !
Rear rack is being changed to accommodate a big topbox, grips are off waiting the fitment of heated ones, and the twist grip barrel is being modified to take a Vista Cruise throttle lock
Mine is the Business model and has an adjustable screen but not electric operated.
Can get 2 Shark Evo helmets under the seat or in the top box.
We managed to get 31 litres of wine and a bottle of vodka and gin on board.
Never caught my feet on the centre tunnel, perhaps you are a short a**s? ;)
However I think the body panels adjacent to the passenger footrests will eventually get scuffed. Will have to try and find some of that clear protective film stuff to put over them.
I can now pull up to a stop and with timing press the button and stay upright without putting my feet down and similarly set off again.
I stopped once and pressed the button and got off leaving Merilyn on the back. Unfortunately the button hadn't quite clicked in and the lot went over but fortunately I was stood next to a storage cage and with my back to that managed to stop it going completely over.
Yes it is heavy especially 2 up.
As I've mentioned before, I find it uncomfortable on anything over about 20 miles, my back feeling quite achy.
Never used the foot brake yet.
Find the brakes a bit like squeezing a house brick with no feel.
I still like it though :)

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Never caught my feet on the centre tunnel, perhaps you are a short a**s?
Nooo.. I am just not a light house looking for somewhere to plot up ya lanky git !

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Several Niken s were available to road test at the MCN Bike Fest Peterborough last month and it was raining so quite a good opportunity. Not my thing but not sure if bigtwin had ago?

jongood, I did indeed.

It's a seriously divisive bike, I just don't get them especially now that it's been pointed out they a bike license only.

Take a very attractive 900cc bike which is well liked and add a mass of weight and complexity for no overall benefit. I think it was once of those nights when the Saki was extra strong in Hamamatsu.

Not sure how you come to that conclusion.

There is a massive benefit in terms of grip, and hence safety.

I rode one at the MCN Festival of Motorcyling and was mightily impressed. They inspire confidence and I felt as though I could take liberties with the throttle.

I’ve read of journalists who, presumably also felt the benefit of the extra grip, deliberately sought out wet manhole covers to challenge the grip levels.

Perhaps ‘traditionalists’ also felt the same (what’s the point?) about Disc Brakes, ABS, Traction Control, etc.

When following the test ride ‘leader’ another thing that surprised me was how narrow (or, rather, how ‘not wide’) the bike looked from behind.

If you have the opportunity to test ride one, you should.

Ian

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Not sure how you come to that conclusion.
There is a massive benefit in terms of grip, and hence safety.
Ian

Massive, I think not. It may have two contact patches but loads of extra weight and very much more to go wrong.

If you want masses of extra grip buy a car, otherwise ride to road conditions.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Massive, I think not. It may have two contact patches but loads of extra weight and very much more to go wrong.

If you want masses of extra grip buy a car, otherwise ride to road conditions.

You clearly have your own views on the matter!

In case you haven’t seen it:

Ian

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Got the back box on, just waiting for it to warm up a bit before I venture out and sort out the throttle lock and heated grips

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Today I have fitted the Cruise Control. ( Read 'throttle lock )
Had to modify it more or less back to standard, as it had been modified ( by cutting off the locator tab and using glue instead )
Also got the heated grip on, though not wired up yet

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Better hurry up, it's under 10 deg here, probably snow tomorrow.
Tell me about it ! Supposed to get better by the weekend..
If not, well it will stay in the garage
I have done my time in crap weather.. Dispatching 312 days of the year.. Do not feel there is much left to prove !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Throttle lock on, heated grips mounted, wire up tomorrow !

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
This was posted on a Facebook group and, prompted by the earlier comments on this thread, thought I’d post it up here.

I did laugh when it got to about 28min 15 secs (or thereabouts).

Ian

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Bet we would all love to see a sportier up version, with Rossi at the helm.
Shame to have to agree that even though Yamaha have spent so many years and dosh in the development, that its realistically too radical in the way it looks, but even I wouldn't call it a Blue Badge machine.
For it to be a success in the mainstream just now, and how they will overcome peoples negative opinions, is beyond me, even if they do test ride it and think its fantastic, beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all.
Too heavy on the front &Too expensive also, but they must try and re-coup their massive outlay, as the guys in the video said thats very doubtful.
Got to admire the engineering concept overall.
Good video, thanks for posting bigtwinNow even I want a bacon sandwich:)
Les

Last edited:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Ackerman steering wasn’t that used on scalextric or similar name

Don’t know but would have thought it’s unlikely given the Scalextric is a form of ‘slot car’ racing and doesn’t really need any steering since the car just follows the line of the slot in the track?

Ian

Nov 18, 2016
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance
As has been mentioned, I have recently been more of less forced in to replacing my main ride with a nearly bike, an MP3 HPe Sport

After speaking to Piaggio dealers all over the UK, I called M & P to see what they had for sale

What a difference !
All the other dealers left me feeling as if I was some sort of low life begging a favour..
Please sir, may I have a new bike ?

NEW BIKE !! Well I will have a look, but it means I have to go out my office... I might ring you back

M & P were simply amazing.. Bent over backwards to accommodate and help.. Nothing too much trouble.
Bike arrived yesterday in a proper kitted out bike transporting van, was spotless and had all the paperwork, keys, tools etc that you would expect
Hand over was pleasant and friendly and all my questions answered without hesitation
This morning I had a phone call from Chris, the chap I had been dealing with, making sure all was well

When I compare that with the total shite I had from a Triumph dealer ( who just could not care less once they had the money ), it is like chalk and cheese

As for M & P, gone is the old ( ok, it was several years ago ) customer service that consisted of a bully with a bad attitude, and it has been replaced with e top notch customer facing service..
You all know me well enough to appreciate I do not hand out unwarranted praise, nor do I do it lightly, but by the cringe, compared to other dealers dealt with recently they stand alone, and stand head and shoulders above others.

It wouldn’t be Lings in Watton you had shite service from would it?
I bet it was!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back