LPG Tank Remote Operated shutoff Solenoid Valve (1 Viewer)

Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
I have installed an underslung LPG tank and opted for the electronic shutoff solenoid valve.
Does anyone have a wiring diagram on how to wire this up please?
I assume it is just 12v supply with a switch in between but would rather make sure.
Thank You.

Attachments

• val-v-027.png
    val-v-027.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 86
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
No wiring diagram but I would just wire the switch in to the red cable & run the black back to the earth.
having first checked it actually works before installing.:LOL:

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
No wiring diagram but I would just wire the switch in to the red cable & run the black back to the earth.
having first checked it actually works before installing.:LOL:

Ive just hooked it upto a 12v battery and it works perfect, I think the current draw is so little that a normal carling rocker switch will do the trick.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 14, 2010
Funster No
Hi could you tell me where you purchased the valves I would like to fit same to my tank many thanks

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Hi could you tell me where you purchased the valves I would like to fit same to my tank many thanks
Hi There,
this is where I got it.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Whilst wiring to 12V will work, it will take lots of power. Solenoids need to have the current reduced (they will maintain position at a tiny percentage of their nominal power) after making the connection to save electricity. Gasit make such a device, but AFAICT refuse to sell it without also buying a full blown tank contents measurement system (which is also useful, TBF).

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Whilst wiring to 12V will work, it will take lots of power. Solenoids need to have the current reduced (they will maintain position at a tiny percentage of their nominal power) after making the connection to save electricity. Gasit make such a device, but AFAICT refuse to sell it without also buying a full blown tank contents measurement system (which is also useful, TBF).
Ā£150 just for the device........ I think Ill measure the consumption first. I connected it to a 7amp battery for a few hours and it was about 50% which means it uses about a .5ah/hour.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've now found they do sell the device separately without all the level sensor stuff for Ā£50. Would be interested to know real world currents with and without the device. At 0.5A, it's probably worth buying, assuming it is effective at reducing current, which seems likely.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've now found they do sell the device separately without all the level sensor stuff for Ā£50. Would be interested to know real world currents with and without the device. At 0.5A, it's probably worth buying, assuming it is effective at reducing current, which seems likely.
I bet you can make one with a capacitor and power resistor in parallel... And then wired in series with the valve šŸ¤” that would cost about a quid šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘Œ

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I bet you can make one with a capacitor and power resistor in parallel... And then wired in series with the valve šŸ¤” that would cost about a quid šŸ˜ŽšŸ‘Œ

It won't be a complicated device. It needs to provide a decent initial current burst to actuate and then a suitable maintenance current. I'm actually happy to pay Ā£50 to get someone to work out the parameters and package it into an easily integrated module. Ā£150 was another matter. You never know, it might even be clever enough to know when the valve accidentally closes and provide another burst to re-open it.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Taken from the Gasit website........

Please note that this remote electric solenoid is a high pressure shut off valve which means it is designed to be fitted directly in the tank in place of a manual outlet tap and shuts the full pressure of the tank off. As it shuts off full tank pressure it requires a significant amount of current to open and keep it open ( Around 1.5 amp ) so using this solenoid will flatten the vehicles battery in no time if you don't use a GAS IT Ultra Low current ECU.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah, but they don't say how low. I've bought one in any case. Hoping it will be very low. It seems likely given the normal characteristics of solenoid valve coils. Also, someone measured the actual full post-activation flow at 0.5A, so there's even more headroom to play with.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've got an underslung gas tank on our van. It has a manual shut-off valve but I haven't used it in the seven years we've had it. So my question is why do you need an electric one, how often will it be used?

You need to turn the gas off for the Tunnel but will they accept a switch? šŸ˜

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, they'll accept a switch. No, you shouldn't be travelling with your gas turned on without some other sort of mitigation (i.e. a crash switch).

OP
OP
Mhambi
Aug 23, 2019
Cape Town
Funster No
MH
Merc Unimog U1700L
Exp
Overlander
Ill be turning mine off every night before I go to bed and will only switch it on when the gas is in use. Which is why Ive opted for the electronic valve so I dont have to clamber under the vehicle to turn it off. I have the switch on a display board above the door.

easytiger

Free Member
Aug 24, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Crafter conversion
Exp
since 2010
Yes, they'll accept a switch. No, you shouldn't be travelling with your gas turned on without some other sort of mitigation (i.e. a crash switch).
I have the GASIT setup with manual valve and baulked at the cost of converting to electronic ESP as the setup comes with an excess flow cut off valve. As I understand it this allows it to be left on while in motion.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back