LPG Refilling (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
just lookin
Dear All. As you will all be aware, it's getting slightly more difficult to refill with LPG. Whilst I fully support independent LPG refilling stations, I would also ask those who need it, to consider, if they do not already, using their local Morrison's. I believe that Morrison's now have the largest network of automotive LPG refilling in the UK. Most LPG installations are ageing, and require more maintenance, which is costly. This coupled with the decrease nationally in LPG consumption could, in future, threaten our supply. It really is a case of use it or lose it. I currently use a Morrison's forecourt to refill. I travel the length of the country, and since Shell owned forecourts removed their LPG pumps, I can consistently rely on Morrison's for my LPG.

RedFrame

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2017
Chester
Funster No
MH
Self Build W907 PVC
Exp
Sept 2017
Didn't Morrisons management issue a "No Fill" order to their forecourts for Motorhomes and Caravans about 4 years ago??? I was certainly told this by staff at two separate stores near to me.

This is the reason I use two local independent stations.

Welcome to FUN by the way :WelcomeFlag:

Cheers
Red.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Didn't Morrisons management issue a "No Fill" order to their forecourts

I’m guessing just ill informed staff……

086B4AD3-CB70-49A8-B6A6-A9AE0EA39BC7.jpeg

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I use Morrisons Littlehampton for most of my fills, a couple of local BP garages have replaced their pumps in the last 2 or 3 years so OK around here.

Trouble is us Motorhomers don't use much, I only use 150 to 180 Lt a year.
Taxis are their biggest customer and and a lot of them are changing to electric.

Interesting that Spain keeps opening more & more LPG filling points every year.
Also recently Dacia have made most of their cars avaliable with a duel fuel option petrol/lpg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
If my local morrisons did lpg I'd happily use them, but its not actually that difficult to get a fill up using the apps available and a little planning when en route to your destination.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
:welco:
I use Morrisons Littlehampton for most of my fills, a couple of local BP garages have replaced their pumps in the last 2 or 3 years so OK around here.

Trouble is us Motorhomers don't use much, I only use 150 to 180 Lt a year.
Taxis are their biggest customer and and a lot of them are changing to electric.

Interesting that Spain keeps opening more & more LPG filling points every year.
Also recently Dacia have made most of their cars avaliable with a duel fuel option petrol/lpg.
We hardly see any customers for LPG in winter as it’s a predominantly leisure vehicle product now .
There’s actually more new LPG pumps going in than the doom and gloom merchants will accept.
It’s only Shell and BP corporate owned stations that have now all removed their LPG pumps.
During the latest so called delivery problems with LPG we haven’t been let down once by our suppliers, could be because we patge daily market rates and aren’t on a fixed price contract .
Yes we are more expensive than Morrisons as we were told !
“ Go and buy it from Morrisons then “

“ They don’t have any “
Felt like turning the pump off 😂

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Didn't Morrisons management issue a "No Fill" order to their forecourts for Motorhomes and Caravans about 4 years ago??? I was certainly told this by staff at two separate stores near to me.

This is the reason I use two local independent stations.

Welcome to FUN by the way :WelcomeFlag:

Cheers
Red.
Correct:

Somewhere within these pages you will find a copy of the internal memo.
And also the photos with the reason.

It was after a motorhome fire on a garage forecourt which did a lot of damage.

Having said which, I have found as long as you have an external filler point and just plug in and go, then you are the same as any car filling with LPG.
Those that will get into bother will be the ones opening locker doors

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
All of Morrisons at the pump LPG will be gone between 2022 to 2024. MFG who supply the Morrisons PFS' announced this at the beginning of April. It also includes BP, Esso, Jet & Texaco. Both Morrisons and MFG want to replace them with rapid car chargers. Shell closed all of their LPG pumps back in 2020 when their joint venture with Calor ended.

The Issa brothers who bought ASDA own another large forecourt group - EG, they now have 660 sites... no LPG.

There's talk of Flogas opening specific strategic LPG pumps across the U.K's main A roads and motorway network. The first phase of their survey is currently underway.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Oh good... another Autogas/LPG scaremonger thread.. As stated above Morrison's are in partnership with Safefill... Also does being taken over by MFG automatically mean they will remove the pumps....
Even if they do that's means more custom for the garages that do keep LPG.
Said before.... Autogas ain't going to disappear completely..

Oct 4, 2019
Milford on Sea
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2005
Reading this and previous posts I'm amazed how far people will drive to save a few pence per liter and then don't actually need more than 10 or 20 litres. Have they actually worked out the real cost of the operation?

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I find a lot of the independent (non fuel station) lpg sellers like flogas etc are only open mon-fri 9-4 which makes it difficult for the people only going away weekends.
I've used morrisons in york and coventry whilst en route to my holiday destinations 👍

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
We are in Spain presently, no problem with getting LPG here, called in at Repsol, Badajoz and had to queue with a dozen taxis all wanting LPG. Taxis on gas makes sense to me. Cheaper, cleaner and fill in a couple of minutes. Well done Spain.

Craig

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Nearest Morrison selling LPG is 20 miles from me .middle of Doncaster which I have used our nearest 5mile is Applegreen in Scunthorpe.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Nearest Morrisons to me is 115 miles...no lpg though. Nearest Morrisons with lpg is 228 miles...
Nearest lpg is 32 miles; Co-op/ Gulf.

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I’ve not had to much trouble finding lpg locally at the moment.

What i have noticed a lot at motorway service stations is electric cars parked at charging points and not plugged in.
This is probably abuse of the parking space because they are generally located very close to the amenities, I suppose it’s a bit like parking in a disabled bay without a badge.

We were up at Durham services a few weeks ago and a chap with an electric car was waiting for an empty charging point where 2 x cars were parked and not plugged in. There was a right ding dong battle when a family came out and just jumped in the car to move away. The chap waiting parked across both the vehicles and wouldn’t move.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I’ve not had to much trouble finding lpg locally at the moment.

What i have noticed a lot at motorway service stations is electric cars parked at charging points and not plugged in.
This is probably abuse of the parking space because they are generally located very close to the amenities, I suppose it’s a bit like parking in a disabled bay without a badge.

We were up at Durham services a few weeks ago and a chap with an electric car was waiting for an empty charging point where 2 x cars were parked and not plugged in. There was a right ding dong battle when a family came out and just jumped in the car to move away. The chap waiting parked across both the vehicles and wouldn’t move.

And the end result was?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
To put a cat amongst the pigeons, I read that Morrison’s are selling 87 of their petrol stations.
Something to do with the competitions market for the sale of the supermarket.
Let’s hope whoever buys them still wants to sell LPG. (Source: Guardian 02.May.22 amongst other newspapers)

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
To put a cat amongst the pigeons, I read that Morrison’s are selling 87 of their petrol stations.
Something to do with the competitions market for the sale of the supermarket.
Let’s hope whoever buys them still wants to sell LPG. (Source: Guardian 02.May.22 amongst other newspapers)
Why only 87... Morrison's currently have 339 petrol stations....
So what ones are they selling.. fair chance some Autogas ones left in Morrison's hands.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Do we have the Dacia LPG cars in the UK?
I know that they are made by Renault in Europe but not arrived here. There was queue of them at the LPG pump yesterday

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Why only 87... Morrison's currently have 339 petrol stations....
So what ones are they selling.. fair chance some Autogas ones left in Morrison's hands.
Not sure it’s probably the least number they’ve been told to sell to help the sale go through for the stores. But I’m guessing at that.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Oh good... another Autogas/LPG scaremonger thread.. As stated above Morrison's are in partnership with Safefill... Also does being taken over by MFG automatically mean they will remove the pumps....
Even if they do that's means more custom for the garages that do keep LPG.
Said before.... Autogas ain't going to disappear completely..
It's true regarding Morrisons but it's not really at the pump tank filling is it as it's exclusive to Safefill and you need to remove your bottles out of your motorhome before you can fill them.

Yes, being taken over by MFG means the pumps will be removed. LPG was never installed at petrol filling station to satisfy the needs of motorhomers it was for LPG powered vehicles and that today only accounts for 0.2pc of vehicles on the road and due to maintenance and tank lifespan that number is dropping year on year...

Many of those who have an underslung LPG tank under their motorhome don't know or understand that these tanks only have a 5 year lifespan meaning that over time the at pump saving is more than offset by these renewal costs.

Government conversion grants have stopped, converted vehicles lose their warranties, LPG will be constrained in the same way as other petroleum based fuels from 2030 and Autogas Ltd has ceased trading.

The only ones left will be those owned by Flogas such as Countrywide.

It's not scaremongering, it's a fact of life.

OP
OP
A
May 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
just lookin
If I may, I don't believe Morrison's have any immediate intention in removing LPG from their forecourts. MFG has applied to the CMA for permission to remove their LPG pumps between 2022 and 2024, NOT Morrison's. There is a news article about it, and the way in which it has been interpreted, seems as if MFG and Morrison's plans are as one, they are not. If MFG want to fit charge points, they will need to make space on their forecourts, If any supermarkets, who also run forecourts, want to build charging points, they have huge car parks in which to do so. MFG operate a forecourt not far from me,with an LPG pump. They have just renewed the LPG tanks. It's a very busy LPG forecourt (LPG Taxis), and that's a big investment for them to make.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back