LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Thanks.. Can't find that one on Google so I can ring to check ..
Broken Link Removed: Lower Eggleton, Ledbury HR8 2TZ
Broken Link Removed:
Open today · Broken Link Removed: 01531 670500

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thought I was on my way to understanding about lpg but OP mentions "automotive lpg" and an "underslung tank".
Is this for fuelling the vehicle?
I'd assumed the underslung tank was something different, just for hab. Don't know where I thought vehicle fuel would be stored though.
Is the lpg for vehicle fuel different from hab lpg, or is the only difference the tax?
(Sorry for hi-jacking your thread @Charlie , but for us not-in-the-know people, one question always raises at least one more!)

All Autogas and Propane sold in the UK is the same. The storage method makes no difference. Refillable tank (bottle), Underslung Tank or Red Bottle of any size.

Autogas is Propane LPG delivered to a storage tank for delivery to fuel motor vehicles. HMRC charge the Road Fuel Duty to that tank, on delivery, not at point of sale, so there is always an element of that duty in the price, the way things are set up. VAT is at point of sale. LPG used for heating and cooling it is dutiable at 5% and should be Road Fuel Duty Free. However as HMRC will not put in place a refund system for the excess Road Fuel Duty, that has been charged. You are therefore paying an extra 5% VAT on the Road Fuel Duty element as well. Road vehicles are charged VAT at 20%.

Country Wide and Calor main depots will supply LPG at 5% VAT to registered customers for domestic (heating and cooling). You make a declaration that the fuel is for heating or cooling. I pursued this with HMRC office in Bristol and got a letter saying the supplier could, but probably wouldn't, for fear of breaking the VAT rules, supply free of Road Fuel Duty. There is no way for them to recover the duty they have already paid. The forecourt garages will not supply at less than the published pump price, because they fear fraud by their staff if the were allowed to alter the prices at point of sale.

The same tanker that delivers the Autogas also delivers gas to home tanks free of Road Fuel Duty and at 5% VAT. The tankers that deliver bio fuel to garages also deliver to domestic tanks. Users of bio fuel can get a rebate of the Road Fuel Duty through a HRC office in Gosforth, Near Newcastle upon Tyne but HMRC will not do the same for LPG users who have paid Road Fuel Duty on LPG for domestic use.

I do know of one garage that has a copy my letter form HMRC pinned up behind his counter and will supply LPG at 5% VAT and that is at Grizebeck in the Lake District. He has done this for a number of years now without any problems from the VAT inspectors.

I pursued this because I was full timing in my motorhome and my LPG consumption was 1,100 litres a year not an inconsiderable amount of excess duty and VAT paid. For normal holiday use consumption it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I hope this makes it clear.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
All Autogas and Propane sold in the UK is the same. The storage method makes no difference. Refillable tank (bottle), Underslung Tank or Red Bottle of any size.

Autogas is Propane LPG delivered to a storage tank for delivery to fuel motor vehicles. HMRC charge the Road Fuel Duty to that tank, on delivery, not at point of sale, so there is always an element of that duty in the price, the way things are set up. VAT is at point of sale. LPG used for heating and cooling it is dutiable at 5% and should be Road Fuel Duty Free. However as HMRC will not put in place a refund system for the excess Road Fuel Duty, that has been charged. You are therefore paying an extra 5% VAT on the Road Fuel Duty element as well. Road vehicles are charged VAT at 20%.

Country Wide and Calor main depots will supply LPG at 5% VAT to registered customers for domestic (heating and cooling). You make a declaration that the fuel is for heating or cooling. I pursued this with HMRC office in Bristol and got a letter saying the supplier could, but probably wouldn't, for fear of breaking the VAT rules, supply free of Road Fuel Duty. There is no way for them to recover the duty they have already paid. The forecourt garages will not supply at less than the published pump price, because they fear fraud by their staff if the were allowed to alter the prices at point of sale.

The same tanker that delivers the Autogas also delivers gas to home tanks free of Road Fuel Duty and at 5% VAT. The tankers that deliver bio fuel to garages also deliver to domestic tanks. Users of bio fuel can get a rebate of the Road Fuel Duty through a HRC office in Gosforth, Near Newcastle upon Tyne but HMRC will not do the same for LPG users who have paid Road Fuel Duty on LPG for domestic use.

I do know of one garage that has a copy my letter form HMRC pinned up behind his counter and will supply LPG at 5% VAT and that is at Grizebeck in the Lake District. He has done this for a number of years now without any problems from the VAT inspectors.

I pursued this because I was full timing in my motorhome and my LPG consumption was 1,100 litres a year not an inconsiderable amount of excess duty and VAT paid. For normal holiday use consumption it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

I hope this makes it clear.
Wow what a brilliant answer, thank you so much! I keep learning a bit at a time and one day - maybe - I'll know and understand a teeny bit of something!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back