lpg gas price refllable bottles (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2016
nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
looking into getting refillable bottles .Can anyone confirm what I think.
1 kg gas = 2 litres
so a 6kg bottle is 12 litres
and to refill at a petrol station is approx about 66p a litre.

give a take a bit is this right so a 6kg bottle costs about £8

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
A refillable will only fill to 80% of its capacity, so you will get approx 9.6 ltrs at whatever price. I recently filled an empty 11 Kg with approx 17.5 ltrs

Upvote 0

emo

Free Member
Oct 28, 2015
Funster No
MH
Bursner lyseo
Exp
Since2015
Auto gas Thirsk North Yorkshire.While you wait,they let you stay on elu overnight if you want

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

SandraL

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer b694sl
Exp
Since 2012 + Caravanner for 20+ years
A refillable will only fill to 80% of its capacity, so you will get approx 9.6 ltrs at whatever price. I recently filled an empty 11 Kg with approx 17.5 ltrs

Gas cylinders are known by the weight of LPG they contain. This is when filled to 80%.
So a gaslow 11kg cylinder will take 21 litres. This fills it to 80% of its volume. See gaslow web page.
Calor 6kg bottles actually have 6kg of LPG. There is 20% space stil left.
1kg of propane is 1.9 litres .
To sum up the OP got it right.

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
looking into getting refillable bottles .Can anyone confirm what I think.
1 kg gas = 2 litres
so a 6kg bottle is 12 litres
and to refill at a petrol station is approx about 66p a litre.

give a take a bit is this right so a 6kg bottle costs about £8

I am always pleasantly AMAZED at how little it costs for me to auto fill.... well worth the outlay for me to have job done at Autogas Thirsk. Cost is 54p.. in my local garage ..

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The gas is a lot cheaper but it depends how much you use as to how quickly you will recoup the cost of installation of refillable bottles. The extra factor, which can't be valued in pounds and pence, though, is the convenience of refillable bottles. No waiting until a bottle has run out (invariably when it's raining) and having to change it and no need to swap an almost empty bottle "just in case". We fill up when convenient, usually when passing a station that sells gas anyway.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Gas cylinders are known by the weight of LPG they contain. This is when filled to 80%.
So a gaslow 11kg cylinder will take 21 litres. This fills it to 80% of its volume. See gaslow web page.
Calor 6kg bottles actually have 6kg of LPG. There is 20% space stil left.
1kg of propane is 1.9 litres .
To sum up the OP got it right.
I stand corrected.:notworthy: Clearly even the new cylinder gauges are rubbish.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Lozsing, if you are happy to do your own installation you can buy the bottles and pipework etc and fit it, it's not difficult and IMV not much more than swapping out exchange cylinders, if you want info on where to get them from just ask.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I stand corrected.:notworthy: Clearly even the new cylinder gauges are rubbish.:rolleyes:
OMG you didn't really think the gauges actually worked did you ... silly boy ... of course they don't, they just like to lull you into a false sense of security and make you think you have some control over it all ... :D2

Upvote 0
Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
I am always pleasantly AMAZED at how little it costs for me to auto fill.... well worth the outlay for me to have job done at Autogas Thirsk. Cost is 54p.. in my local garage ..
I paid for my Safefill in 4 years and I always use sites with EHU with the caravan. I am not a huge user of gas using electric to heat water but gas for oven and BBQ. The advantages of refillable are great and have already been outlined. It is the way to go whether using standalone like me or Gaslow and Gas it. But if others take a different route, so be it. Personal choice at the end of the day. Will go for one of these when we buy our MH at the end of the season this year. Regards, Mike

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back