LPG a conversion (1 Viewer)

john senior

Free Member
Oct 19, 2021
Spain
Funster No
MH
Challenger 348xlb
I am thinking of changing our gas from propane to LPG as we don’t want to carry different or numerous bottles for 3 month trips round European countries , France, Spain, Austria , Italy etc

Just read that She’ll are closing their sites

What are views on whether other providers and service stations in Europe will follow making LPG difficult to find

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No problems getting LPG in the South East where we live.
Far more LPG outlets in France, Belgium, Holland & Germany. Spain has increased their outlets over last few years, plenty in Portugal & Greece.

Last edited:

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
If your struggling to find a fuel station outlet try your local gas bottle or bulk lpg suppliers they will normally have an lpg pump. I’ve used flogas Burnley, Bolton Bottled gas and now Harris Gas. If that fails see if you can find a private hire driver running on lpg, he will point you in the right direction.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's a good solution in Spain, France, Germany and Belgium. I've not had any issues getting it in the UK yet.

But it is hard to get the LPG filled up in Italy. There are plenty of fuel stations with LPG, but they are strict about it being used for anything other than transport. You aren't allowed to use it for domestic use in the van. Even if you have a remote filling point.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
But it is hard to get the LPG filled up in Italy. There are plenty of fuel stations with LPG, but they are strict about it being used for anything other than transport. You aren't allowed to use it for domestic use in the van. Even if you have a remote filling point.
Same in Spain but never had a problem filling. In Italy there is always someone who will fill you.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Same in Spain but never had a problem filling. In Italy there is always someone who will fill you.
In Italy, we got turned away at 3 places and told we couldn't use it for domestic fill-ups. Something to do with tax... which is actually higher on transport use, so it's not a dodge. We did eventually get filled, but only because the attendant thought he was filling the vehicle's main tank... then was miffed when only 20 litres went in.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
In Italy, we got turned away at 3 places and told we couldn't use it for domestic fill-ups. Something to do with tax... which is actually higher on transport use, so it's not a dodge. We did eventually get filled, but only because the attendant thought he was filling the vehicle's main tank... then was miffed when only 20 litres went in.
We got turned away at the first one next one filled us both on the Autostrada.

Got told we don't fill bottles in Portugal pointed at the external filler and they filled us.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
If your struggling to find a fuel station outlet try your local gas bottle or bulk lpg suppliers they will normally have an lpg pump. I’ve used flogas Burnley, Bolton Bottled gas and now Harris Gas. If that fails see if you can find a private hire driver running on lpg, he will point you in the right direction.
Used to use flo gas until a few years ago then put prices up now 20p dearer than local Morrisons

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Ive never had a problem filling with gas in any country so far but who knows in the future.

Never been refused it and seems to be plenty places where ive been so far . Im just fitting a single 7kg bottle in my camper right now so im hoping it continues being easy to get as i dont have space for spare bottles.

Ill be fitting an underslung tank on my vario build

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Bit confused by this thread, I thought LPG stood for Liquified Petroleum Gas and the Butane and Propane and mixes are all LPG.

Oct 12, 2018
Somerset, UK
Funster No
MH
Buerstner Travel Van
Exp
Not long enough!
My understanding is that Shell pulled out of their partnership with Calor which was called Autogas. Consequently Shell removed the Autogas pumps from all their directly-owned forecourts. However I believe franchised forecourts only removed them if they chose to.
Whatever, according to an article in the current issue of MMM the number of outlets in UK is actually increasing due to other suppliers coming in to satisfy growing demand from the Motorhome market. Sadly this has to be set against the surprisingly large number of petrol stations that are closing down entirely.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Bit confused by this thread, I thought LPG stood for Liquified Petroleum Gas and the Butane and Propane and mixes are all LPG.
Yes it is, the OP refers to LPG as different gas, but, propane, butane, or a mix of both it’s LPG. In uk, you get 100% propane at the LPG pump. In EU are different mixes from county to country, and also varies with season. You could have 80 butane 20 propane in summer, and vice-versa. Or other ratios.

Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
Filled up today at a Leclerc in Arles South of France. Credit card pump so no attendant to question anything. Mind you the price has gone up but still much less expensive than Dick Turpin t/a Calor Gas!! When at home I use the local Flogas depot. For me it is not the price though but the convenience. Coming away for 9 weeks knowing I will be able to get gas. Use myLPG.eu when abroad.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No one asked us in Italy when we filled up - but that was three or four years back.

Jun 3, 2018
Funster No
Difficult to get in France now, most places getting rid and switching the lpg off on Sunday when the forecourt isn’t manned.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I am thinking of changing our gas from propane to LPG as we don’t want to carry different or numerous bottles for 3 month trips round European countries , France, Spain, Austria , Italy etc

Just read that She’ll are closing their sites

What are views on whether other providers and service stations in Europe will follow making LPG difficult to find

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back