Love music - need better speakers ! (1 Viewer)

jo10000_6

Free Member
Dec 21, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 Classic
Exp
Jan 2018
Hi

I've just got have some better speakers.

My 1993 Hymer makes enough noise so when listening to radio / music I think I need something better than the original fitment.

The pictures are what I have.

Is the general rule of thumb to stick to similar size but more watts - naturally I assume that even if I got 40W which I probably wont it should be a better sound?

Had a quick look at some shops and to be honest they re more aimed at making a car sound super stonking good with bass and subwoofer stuff - not really what I need.

Any comments appreciated - I've got my 80's stuff to listen too :rolleyes:

Thanks
Jo

Attachments

• IMG_5292.JPG
    IMG_5292.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5293.JPG
    IMG_5293.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5295.JPG
    IMG_5295.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 87

EastAngler

Free Member
Apr 23, 2019
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 1993
Exp
Hi Jo, can't advise I'm afraid but are you on Facebook? There is a Classic Hymers group and an olderhymer.com group that have lots of knowledgeable people and between them all most things on older Hymers have been tried and tested.

I've got a 93 B544 and it is noisy just starting to investigate improving the sound proofing.

Upvote 0
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
To get the bass response better you've got to keep the rear sound wave (the one that comes off the back of the speaker) from interfereing with the front sound wave (the one you listen to)

The rear sound wave therefore needs suppressing with acoustic wadding, then the outer door skin needs dampening everywhere on the inside with those heavy tar like pads to stop it resonating (ebay;)) . You use a wallpaper edge roller to stick it on.

Then judging by your photos you need some proper 2 way speaker replacements (the ones with an active tweeter in the middle) get larger ones if there is room to fit them in, wattage isn't super important if you're not fitting an amp.

I did the above to our VW up and it's a vast improvement. :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
There are several common sizes of speaker. Are they 6x9"?

My Ducato was a post convert. The sound was pretty poor. I spent about £90 on some speakers and £15 on some sound insulation to stick to the panels behind the speakers. I also spent £200 on a new head unit because I wanted Android Auto from my phone. The sound is now much better. Doesn't sound like it's coming through a gazoo anymore!

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
Ive got a 97 boxer base moho & a previous owner did a complete bodge on the radio & speakers so I ripped it all out & started from scratch.
I already had the radio/cd player & some MB quart mid range & tweeters that I never got round to fitting in my Vauxhall senator so I made an adapter plate from mdf & fitted these where the original front speakers were.
Now I had no base so browsing ebay I found some 6x9s & boxes to fit them in & placed these behind the front seats & connected them to the front speakers & boom it sounds awesome.

Upvote 0

RS_rob

Free Member
Dec 14, 2013
Turnford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
over a Year Yay................
I could do with replacing mine - when I turn the bass up they fart like a good’un.

Replacing the speakers with aftermarket ones will make a huge improvement, lining the door panels & reducing the amount of vibration in the plastics will turn your van into a concert house.

Some manufacturers just dont allow enough room for the speaker to move & do its job that is to expand out of the housing without hitting the plastic door card.

Upvote 0

Happy1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2017
Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
12 years
Replace like for like but better quality and sound will improve and add some sound proofing to bounce sound back into van, you will notice the most difference if you add a small sub woofer to cope with the base, as the small speakers can’t, as previous post said their speakers fart! Sub will add quality not necessarily loudness bless you turn it up. Did this to a Ducato recently the sound was excellent both quiet and loud!

Upvote 0

Motorhome-dude

Free Member
Jun 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750
Exp
A class since 2011
You can re-jig the wiring and add speakers.....or you could just 'throw' your music via Bluetooth to portable speakers.

Bose do amazing WiFi speakers (but there's even better for less cost!)

So how do you get music? Spotify for one. Or Amazon music. Or another hundred services.

Guys, we need to get our heads around this new technology. I'm lucky because I've got four teenagers who keep me abreast of things (or shout at me when I say something old fashioned!)

Throw it from your phone or app. It uses almost zero battery

Upvote 0

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
If it's a MkII Ducato, then the speakers are not in the doors, I don't think, rather in the lower part of the dashboard, on the outside of the respective foot wells. In the pictures it looks as thought the speakers are just screwed to the speaker 'grill' (bunch of holes screwed into the dash panel).

This isn't ideal but, if there's enough space behind those grills, get the biggest 2-way, coaxial (not component) round speakers that will fit behind the grill and that are flush fit (to screw back against the grill without pressing on the rubber around the speaker cone).

Halfords usually have a bunch on display. Speak nicely to the staff, take them out to show them the space you have, size you need, that they need to be flush fit (unless they have adapters) and what connectors there are from the old speakers, then see what they have. You won't need anything too fancy as they'll just be powered by the stereo head unit. If you're a member of the AA you get 10% off. If a member of the Subaru Owners Club, then it's 15% off.

I'll be doing something with the speakers in ours, one we've picked it up this weekend (also MkII).

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

GaryGavlaar

Free Member
Feb 13, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E695
If it's a MkII Ducato, then the speakers are not in the doors, I don't think, rather in the lower part of the dashboard, on the outside of the respective foot wells. In the pictures it looks as thought the speakers are just screwed to the speaker 'grill' (bunch of holes screwed into the dash panel).

This isn't ideal but, if there's enough space behind those grills, get the biggest 2-way, coaxial (not component) round speakers that will fit behind the grill and that are flush fit (to screw back against the grill without pressing on the rubber around the speaker cone).

Halfords usually have a bunch on display. Speak nicely to the staff, take them out to show them the space you have, size you need, that they need to be flush fit (unless they have adapters) and what connectors there are from the old speakers, then see what they have. You won't need anything too fancy as they'll just be powered by the stereo head unit. If you're a member of the AA you get 10% off. If a member of the Subaru Owners Club, then it's 15% off.

I'll be doing something with the speakers in ours, one we've picked it up this weekend (also MkII).

Hope this helps!
Did you ever do anything with your speakers?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back