Looks Good to Me but Need Some Expert Input (1 Viewer)

Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
What doesn't add up is that it is on the 412 chassis. The write up says 4.6ton which would be correct but I think that the allowed rear axle weight would be more with the twin wheels. Note that it is the 2.9L engine - good but slow at 120 bhp

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
On the comments so far and on the basis that my budget means that I will have to cut my cloth accordingly I'm leaning towards having a punt on this subject to decent answers from the seller especially why he is selling it. Although I didn't intend to put a scooter on the back the fact that this is available gives me the opportunity to change my mind - although a BMW RS1200 is probably out of the question! ;)

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
What doesn't add up is that it is on the 412 chassis. The write up says 4.6ton which would be correct but I think that the allowed rear axle weight would be more with the twin wheels. Note that it is the 2.9L engine - good but slow at 120 bhp
Slow is ok - I used to have a caravan and found that going at 60 was quite relaxing.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Slow is ok - I used to have a caravan and found that going at 60 was quite relaxing.

We rarely go much over 90kph for fuel economy so I wouldn't worry about speed.
The twin rear wheel and RWD is an advantage on wet grass etc over FWD. We've never got ours stuck anywhere in 5 years use and we've been up a few muddy tracks etc.
I reckon with a bit of TLC, you'll probably end up with a nice van. Base vehicle stuff like exhaust and bushes etc are all just basic maintenance on any vehicle of that age, so be prepared to spend a bit of cash over time to bring it on song.
Ours was a bit tired when we first bought it but it now gets quite a few positive comments when folk realise it's 18 years old. 😁

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
We rarely go much over 90kph for fuel economy so I wouldn't worry about speed.
The twin rear wheel and RWD is an advantage on wet grass etc over FWD. We've never got ours stuck anywhere in 5 years use and we've been up a few muddy tracks etc.
I reckon with a bit of TLC, you'll probably end up with a nice van. Base vehicle stuff like exhaust and bushes etc are all just basic maintenance on any vehicle of that age, so be prepared to spend a bit of cash over time to bring it on song.
Ours was a bit tired when we first bought it but it now gets quite a few positive comments when folk realise it's 18 years old. 😁
Your giving me confidence Vic!

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
Oh, and Waxoyl is wonderful stuff if it's sprayed in the right places. 👍

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Twin wheels - didn't notice that. Do they come with any particular problems?

You need to buy more tyres! Other disadvantages are reduced internal space (larger wheel arches) and harder to check pressures, sidewall condition etc. They are also uglier, especially on the front axle. However, the big advantage is "four wheel drive". You'll be putting around 70% of the vehicles weight through the driven axle and over a much larger contact patch than the 45% of the weight going through the front axle of a 4 wheeler. This gives you considerable extra traction in the mud. It is also safer in the event of a rear blowout. Note that all wheels are typically the same design (whether inner, outer or front), so a single spare wheel can be used.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
Is it normal for RHD Hymer Of that age to have its speedo in Kmh?

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Have just come back from seeing it. Checked the corroded offside front but seemed on quick inspection to be very superficial. The underside was free of rust as far as I could see without getting it on a ramp. Exhaust seemed solid with only the end of the pipe corroded. Seller says no damp and as far as winterisation goes it has a double floor. It needs a good clean inside and out and the whole thing was missing a woman's touch (if that isn't too sexist ;))- if it was ours my wife would never have let me put it up for sale in the state it was in but that's all superficial and I have a good feeling about it. The cushions and furniture look a bit tired.
External tank for gas which holds 100 litres and was wondering if that might be a problem getting filled though I'm sure that amount would last a long time.
Can't see payload being a problem as we wouldn't be taking a scooter or mbike on the back.
For the price it seems pretty good and I'm sure if it didn't work out we would be able to sell it again without any problem.
I want to buy it so its now down to my wife if she likes it when we go and see it again tomorrow. She's much more hard nosed than me so I'll try and not be disappointed if she says no.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I appreciate you long analysis but I think you are right - - if I hang around it will be gone. He said his phone is going mad and someone from Ireland is flying in to see it which in all probability is true considering the crazy market at the moment.
I actually think its a bit of a bargain and I'll have no problem selling it on if it doesn't work out.

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014
I appreciate you long analysis but I think you are right - - if I hang around it will be gone. He said his phone is going mad and someone from Ireland is flying in to see it which in all probability is true considering the crazy market at the moment.
I actually think its a bit of a bargain and I'll have no problem selling it on if it doesn't work out.

Sounds like you need to make a quick decision, Hymers on a Merc tend to sell quite quickly and at the moment, because of staycations, all motorhomes are selling fairly quickly.
Get your wife over to see it this evening if I were you.
Best of luck.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Sounds like you need to make a quick decision, Hymers on a Merc tend to sell quite quickly and at the moment, because of staycations, all motorhomes are selling fairly quickly.
Get your wife over to see it this evening if I were you.
Best of luck.
It's in a caravan storage site which only opens 9-5 so I saw it this afternoon at 4 (the first to see) and will be taking my wife back at 9 tomorrow morning for a look over and test drive. This puts us in a good position. She has a real eye for detail and if she decides not to go for it then we're both willing to walk away if necessary and wait 'til the right one comes around although I personally think this is the right one especially for going away in the highlands during winter.

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
I say again. Check why a RHD vehicle has a speedo/ mile counter that displays in kilometres. I ask due to the advertised mileage verses mot mileage difference.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I say again. Check why a RHD vehicle has a speedo/ mile counter that displays in kilometres. I ask due to the advertised mileage verses mot mileage difference.
Thanks for that peppa I have taken that on board and will bring it up with the seller tomorrow when I see him with the registration doc.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Because they never bothered to change them .Just fitted on the right hand side.
If it falls through jollyrodger has a nice one for sale on classifieds.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Check the V5 for registered weight, I can’t see anyway that a twin wheeled rear axle Mercedes chassis can possibly weigh under 3.5T

but as you have a C1 licence that’s really an advantage to weigh more you pay less in Road tax

Vic. Parsons.

Free Member
Mar 2, 2015
Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymermobil S740
Exp
since 2014

Our S740 is RHD and has the distance covered in kilometers and speed in kph in bold and mph small. nothing strange going on. 😁

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Check the V5 for registered weight, I can’t see anyway that a twin wheeled rear axle Mercedes chassis can possibly weigh under 3.5T

but as you have a C1 licence that’s really an advantage to weigh more you pay less in Road tax
Hi David its 4.6 tonne gross weight

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David its 4.6 tonne gross weight

I had even been back and read the ad again

numbers never were my thing 🤔👍

if it were my money I would be taking a punt 👍 as you say if not falling to bits or full of damp, unlikely, you would be unlucky to lose too much

did he say why he was selling it ?

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I was the owner of that S650, approx 5 years ago. I sold it to the present owner. Lovely vehicle. Only sold it as we needed a much larger van to do regular school runs to pick up (&return) 3 grandkids to private school while their parents swanned around the world, supposedly working, for a year.

regards
Allen

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I had even been back and read the ad again

numbers never were my thing 🤔👍

if it were my money I would be taking a punt 👍 as you say if not falling to bits or full of damp, unlikely, you would be unlucky to lose too much

did he say why he was selling it ?
Will be giving it a good going over tomorrow. I want to take a punt as I really like it although it needs a good clean inside and out and it looks like the market will mean we will be able to sell it on easily if we don't like it. The seller says he has this MH, two vehicles, and a plane so needs to get rid of one of them. We are the first to view. Seemingly his phone has been going like mad with people wanting to see it so even if half true don't want to miss out on a possible gem.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
I was the owner of that S650, approx 5 years ago. I sold it to the present owner. Lovely vehicle. Only sold it as we needed a much larger van to do regular school runs to pick up (&return) 3 grandkids to private school while their parents swanned around the world, supposedly working, for a year.

regards
Allen
Allen you are a star!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back