Looks Good to Me but Need Some Expert Input (1 Viewer)

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Quick, quick, get that Hymer!
That is very very handy having a fellow funster tell you he owned the van a while back.
Tired upholstery, dirt and superficial rust are not problems and your nose should tell you if it’s damp when you first walk in take a good sniff!
Go for it, as you say a clean up and polish and you could sell it on if you find you’re not happy.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Can I strongly suggest a decent test drive on a motorway or dual carriageway. No problem at all with the Hymer part of it, but twin wheeled MB's tended to be a bit bouncy and low geared so very noisy at cruising speeds. Its all very well saying you re happy to do 55mph but it can get a bit wearing when you re on a long motorway run and you ve constantly got trucks by the side of you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Can I strongly suggest a decent test drive on a motorway or dual carriageway. No problem at all with the Hymer part of it, but twin wheeled MB's tended to be a bit bouncy and low geared so very noisy at cruising speeds. Its all very well saying you re happy to do 55mph but it can get a bit wearing when you re on a long motorway run and you ve constantly got trucks by the side of you.
Good point its stored next to the M90 motorway so a quick spin along to Kirkcaldy and back I think.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)

Yes...it was a bit bouncy, but all the merc based vans of that era were. As for 'noisy at cruising speeds'...no they're not (my opinion having owned 2 of these 2.9 TD merc based vans). The (much) older 'brownie' versions were...but they didn't have that same engine.
The other van I had was a Mirage 6000 aire..with true auto box...that was fab to drive...often wished I'd kept hold of that...seen that one for sale on ebay at least twice.
Hope all goes well for the viewing today.

regards
Allen

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
My wife is looking for a few pictures we took of the van...several years ago....it may take some time!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
jopparocks. I've only just seen your thread, and that you were off for another viewing at 09.00 today.

If I'm not too late, check the underside plywood flooring, especially the corner areas between the rear axle and the bumper. I had a similar year model, and needed to have the underside flooring professionally repaired. I have since found the same problem on other ply under floored Hymers. Water splash from the rear tyres was a contributory cause of the problem.
I also know of two other Hymers of a similar vintage, whereby the garage floors have had to be completely replaced.
No such problems since the introduction of fibreglass under flooring, which is where we are at now with our Flair................................thankfully.

Good luck, should you go ahead with it. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Here's a few of the pics...my wife still has regrets about selling the van, but had to be done for family reasons..
2014-08-08 16.06.38.jpg
2014-08-08 16.05.56.jpg
2014-08-08 16.05.33.jpg
2014-08-06 15.35.44.jpg
DSC00583_1.jpg
DSC00587_1.jpg

The inside really scrubbed up well...took her a couple of days!

Hope your second viewing is / has gone ok...

regards

Allen

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Has anyone picked up the original Gumtree add stating Milage 71000, whereas as MOT states 111000+ I would be very dubious

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Has anyone picked up the original Gumtree add stating Milage 71000, whereas as MOT states 111000+ I would be very dubious
One is miles, the other km (as already queried in earlier posts).

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
1597750734176.png

I have to remind my MOT Tester every year, not to enter the mileage as miles, but as kilometres. I've even been to the main DVSA testing station in P/boro, to get them to re issue an MOT certificate due to the error. :(

Cheers,

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Bit sad if Jopparocks did not get this van if another funster saw this thread and beat them to it. Probably not wise to post the ad or too much detail of a possible bargain you are chasing. Also be interesting if the buyer starts asking for help when unseen faults start to appear.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Bit sad if Jopparocks did not get this van if another funster saw this thread and beat them to it. Probably not wise to post the ad or too much detail of a possible bargain you are chasing. Also be interesting if the buyer starts asking for help when unseen faults start to appear.
He was going at 9 o clock and hasn't reported back so would assume he's bought it, think the other poster was joking.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Hi Everyone just finished lunch after getting back and first job is to tell you all that we bought it. My wife was taken with it immediately and after she gave the interior a good inspection and I gave the bodywork and undercarriage a good look at we bought it without any haggling.
Took it for a test drive. Loved the driving position - commanding is the word.
Speedo is in kilometers so need to do running calculations when driving.
Thanks everyone for your invaluable input especially walburga - the pictures look great and a lot cleaner than the van is now :giggle:
Picking it up at weekend and looking forward to giving it a good clean and getting the interior as homely as we can. Now spending time discussing where we are going to go on our first trip - probably a short trip to the borders to a CL to get familiar with everything - we are now truly Funsters.
cheers Martin

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
This did occur to me but I think in the end the small risk was worth it and the advantages outweighed the possible disadvantages

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
jopparocks. I've only just seen your thread, and that you were off for another viewing at 09.00 today.

If I'm not too late, check the underside plywood flooring, especially the corner areas between the rear axle and the bumper. I had a similar year model, and needed to have the underside flooring professionally repaired. I have since found the same problem on other ply under floored Hymers. Water splash from the rear tyres was a contributory cause of the problem.
I also know of two other Hymers of a similar vintage, whereby the garage floors have had to be completely replaced.
No such problems since the introduction of fibreglass under flooring, which is where we are at now with our Flair................................thankfully.

Good luck, should you go ahead with it. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks Jock will check it out when I get it home.

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
Glad your both happy with the van....my wife tells me that all the covers on the sofa will unzip, and are machine washable (I knew that!). Cheap Tesco upholstery spray was used for cleaning the 3 chairs / covers. Curtains and nets are m/c washable.

Got some facts re: mpg on our only trip to Spain in the van...will dig these out later.

The present owner, Phil, appears to have done less than 15,000 km since I sold it to him approx 5 yrs ago.

Allen

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Its always fun looking round a used van, I took the bike rack off and found a key hidden inside one of the inside plastic covers over the bolts, never did find what it was for. I always look through old receipts and try to write to as many of the previous owners as I can. Had a lovely phone call from the lady who originally bought our van new nineteen years ago, said how her late husband and her would load canoes on the roof and head off to Europe for the sun.. Embarrassingly I have lost her contact details, I would love to update her on how things are now. I know she is still motorhoming, she told me about motirhomefun. So if you are out there please PM me.

OP
OP
jopparocks
Oct 9, 2019
Joppa
Funster No
MH
Hymer S650 Starline
Exp
Glad your both happy with the van....my wife tells me that all the covers on the sofa will unzip, and are machine washable (I knew that!). Cheap Tesco upholstery spray was used for cleaning the 3 chairs / covers. Curtains and nets are m/c washable.

Got some facts re: mpg on our only trip to Spain in the van...will dig these out later.

The present owner, Phil, appears to have done less than 15,000 km since I sold it to him approx 5 yrs ago.

Allen
Very excited Walburga. After 20 years caravanning with the kids all over Europe- yes we still took them with us in their late teens - looking forward to entering a new phase in our life - 'Motorhoming without Kids'! Thing is they have seen how big the MH is and have just said they want to join us on our first outing. They can stay in their tents outside.
Before the kids and caravan we toured all over on a big touring M/bike with a tent on the back.
I've always liked the look of this type of Hymer as I think they have real character and charm. My wife commented on how well made everything is compared to our last caravan.
Thanks to your wife for her advice and they will be getting washed as will the whole of the inside and outside. Seller is a lovely guy but he travelled alone and there is no woman's touch at all in the van but my wife will fix all that.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back