Looking to build a low loader camper conversion (1 Viewer)

dinosawus

Free Member
Nov 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2020
Hello, has anyone done a successful campervan conversion of a low loader box van. I can find plenty of examples of Luton/Box van conversions but not on a low loader chassis commonly used for deliveries of small goods such as food, like an Ocado van. The low loader gives advantages of lower ground height for entering the habitation area and high ceiling height for taller people without the overall height of the vehicle being very high like some box vans. It also has the other advantages of a normal box van, straight walls and some level of existing insulation without being too wide.

Some areas of doubt I would have are 1. are the walls strong enough to support any internal additions such as bed frames and tables etc or would they need reinforcement with wood or steel framing. 2. If you keep the rear double doors as is for access and view, what is the locking mechanism like on those and how would you open and lock from the inside. Probably needs a custom internal locking mechanism. 3. is the existing insulated panel actually good enough as thermal insulation or would you need further insulation on the interior. 4. Most have a translucent plastic roof which is waterproof but offers no insulation or strength. What would be the best way to line the ceiling to add strength and protection? Build an internal wooden frame and use insulation materials and panels to finish.

Thanks for any advice.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
:hiya:
My thoughts (for what they are worth) are that you would be better off converting something like an old ambulance. They already have suitable doors, windows, insulation and height and often a rear heater too.
I have followed some threads of people converting bare box vans and it looks like an enormous amount of work - and expense.

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Hi. Exactly as Riverbankannie IMO. I too thought ambulance after reading your post if you are looking to do it on the cheap. Having seen a lot of horsebox conversions on these vans everything is parred back to the bare minimum, even the floor stringers, in order to maximise space and an even payload for their original intended purposes. Weight distribution for example battery box and tanks need to factor in the relatively weak floor. Again a simple fix. I looked at picking one up and converting it for the wife in fact for a horse box (ended up buying a Theault instead). Complete internal framework required for strength and stability plus insulation. Back doors not of use once an internal frame is applied so typically replaced with a single central door that is more secure.
One benefit is the skin is easy to cut and place external lockers in - something missing in the wife’s box - and if done right, a double floor could be created for ancillaries and improved insulation / underfloor heating.
Roof is weak - lots are patched where they hit a branch, but at least they are not susceptible to hail damage. If the roof is seamed , check this out for leaks. I have fixed a friends box here this summer - sikaflex is your friend. Internal frame will strengthen it easily enough but not to the point where I would be happy to walk on it.
Clean body lines make them easy to wrap so if you invest the effort you can have a really nice van. Just won’t be cheap.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The problem with a low loader is that you have no space underneath. My last van had underslung grey tanks and if things had gone to plan there would have been an underslung LPG tank. You also have to consider clearances for things like ferries and reversing into car parking spots (overhang over verge) etc. I am not a fan to be honest.

OP
OP
dinosawus

dinosawus

Free Member
Nov 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2020
Great replies thanks. Yes indeed a lot of work although the end results could be better than a standard panel van as seen on the Advanced RV B-Box .

I think an Ambulance could be just as much work in the long run as they have a lot of extra baggage that needs to be considered and usually have dual rear wheels which I dont fancy (watched Project Amber) and might just as well start with a clean slate of a box van.

Interesting about lack of strength on the low loader. What are the risks of cutting through the bulkhead to create and opening from cab to habitation, would this weaken the box structure and require additional support?

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I think a lo loader would be a great option.

Easier to build having square sides than a pvc.

Won't have done the massive milages of ambulances, nor ambulance look, or the body fluids / ghosts etc.

Also look at VW bluebird minibus conversions.

As to converting I'd bond 2" polystyrene and 2x2 timber with 6mm ply over that.

I'd use horsebox windows for strength and affordability.

Btw ocardo / Morrisons van aren't lo loaders btw.

Cheers James

Sep 14, 2018
Middlesbrough
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Sorry can't do link but look for British gas van turned into a motor home on YouTube. it is also for hire so maybe the guy might let you go and see the motor home
www.quirkycampers.com/uk/camp...

Hope this is what you are looking for

Mala

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I think a lo loader would be a great option.

Easier to build having square sides than a pvc.

Won't have done the massive milages of ambulances, nor ambulance look, or the body fluids / ghosts etc.

Also look at VW bluebird minibus conversions.

As to converting I'd bond 2" polystyrene and 2x2 timber with 6mm ply over that.

I'd use horsebox windows for strength and affordability.

Btw ocardo / Morrisons van aren't lo loaders btw.

Cheers James
Booooooooo!!!! 👻

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
They are similar to 5th wheels & generally have a double cab MAN, VW,Iveco or Isuzu as a tractor unit.
vwalan has one.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mi
They are similar to 5th wheels & generally have a double cab MAN, VW,Iveco or Isuzu as a tractor unit.
vwalan has one.
my mitzy was originally our local grave diggers tipper truck.
i converted it to fifth wheel.
it had an easy life and wasnt driven hard so when it came up for sale i bought it.
the trailer started life in 1987 with a vw lt 50 pulling it. it was a double glazing companies show outfit .
i bought the mitzy as i knew in africa mitsubishi or Isuzu rule in many african countries .
i used the vw from 2000 then in 2007 bought the mitzy.
lynton trailers made the trailer and i can recommend lynton trailers ,i,m sure mine as been to many places it wasnt built to go to. makes many 4x4,s look like kids vehicles .

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
mi

it had an easy life and wasnt driven hard so when it came up for sale i bought it.
the trailer started life in 1987 with a vw lt 50 pulling it. it was a double glazing companies show outfit .
i bought the mitzy as i knew in africa mitsubishi or Isuzu rule in many african countries .
lynton trailers made the trailer and i can recommend lynton trailers ,i,m sure mine as been to many places it wasnt built to go to. makes many 4x4,s look like kids vehicles .
Any pictures of your 5th wheel?

Looks interesting.

Cheers James

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Great replies thanks. Yes indeed a lot of work although the end results could be better than a standard panel van as seen on the Advanced RV B-Box .

I think an Ambulance could be just as much work in the long run as they have a lot of extra baggage that needs to be considered and usually have dual rear wheels which I dont fancy (watched Project Amber) and might just as well start with a clean slate of a box van.

Interesting about lack of strength on the low loader. What are the risks of cutting through the bulkhead to create and opening from cab to habitation, would this weaken the box structure and require additional support?

That vans the mutt's nuts

Silkcut1105

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 3, 2011
Swansea
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
Since 1991
Seen this yesterday parked on mumbles seafront. I thought it was a brilliant lob

Attachments

• 20201113_090944.jpg
    20201113_090944.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 20201113_090905.jpg
    20201113_090905.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 146

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
mi

Any pictures of your 5th wheel?

Looks interesting.

Cheers James
Seconded ...id love to see some pics of it

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back