Long wave car radio setup (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I’ve managed to get a 12v car radio with AM, FM and LONG wave for the habitation area in our van, not knowing I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for which external aerial to get, it’s the Long Wave BBC Radio 4 station I particularly want to listen to.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In olden days when I had an AM radio in a motorhome, you could get long wave Radio 4 and Radio 2 in those days, quite a way down France.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
When I was an apprentice at EMI a year or so ago, :pinocchio:one of the people in the training school told us a story about Droitwich. He was part of the antenna maintenance team and got called there years before at a weekend as it had taken a lightning strike that had damaged half of the antenna. They shut down the transmitter Sunday morning while working on it, fixed the issue and opened up the transmitter upon which there was a huge flashover to earth from one of the dipole feeders. The flashover acted as a rectifier which gave a loud 'Prepare to meet thy God'. The programme being broadcast was the Sunday evening church service.

I have no idea if it was actually true, but had no reason to believe otherwise. He could see the funny side of it all those years later, but said it really put the wind up him, and the rest of the team at the time and for a good while afterwards!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back