Long Terming-Full timing in the UK? This might be of help (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

We've spent the last six weeks at Mo's place while we do domestics for our son and DIL.

When we arrived it was latish September and warm. Now, at the back end of Oct. it can be decidedly chilly, so I came up with a plan.

Went to B&Q yesterday and blagged a piece of polystyrene. It measured about 4ft x 2ft x2" and was given away because one corner had been nibbled.

Got back to the 'van measured the Heki (other makes are available) and cut the poly so that it was a friction fit inside the opening. I had to do two because the poly wasn't big enough to do it in one (You might not have that problem if you can get a piece big enough to fill the entire 'hole'

I then ran a roll of gaffer tape around the circumference of both pieces to stop it snowing poly from the cut edges. The pieces were put up in the Heki held there by friction and the concertina blind that's there.

The difference in temp. and comfort was noticable and will go someway to stop the overuse of precious gas in the winter months.

During the day, the pieces can be stored under the bed.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I have thought of that before, I do use a foam insulation material on the large side and rear windows, but the roof lights, not sure, I would probably open them slightly when cooking to stop the build up of condensation. Is the polystyrene messy when moving it?

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
You'll find Kingspan or Celotex insulation boards as effective and not as messy to work with.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Same idea, but I made ours from layers of silvered bubble wrap insulation glued together with spray contact adhesive.
As well as the Heki I have also fitted these to the Omni vent roof lights in the kitchen area and loo.

vent insulation.jpg

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Yes, insulation is a good idea if it gets very cold. The couple in the video below live full time in their van in Finland, where I imagine they know a thing or two about cold weather.

This video shows them insulating the windows and rooflights of their van.

Paul

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've done similar to @Two on Tour (although we haven't made such a professional job of it.) We've been using this throughout the summer, to keep the heat out, leaving a gap for air circulation. We've also made makeshift internal blinds for the driver's and passenger's side windows in our A class. We have an electric thermal blind on the windscreen, which works great!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Insulation can be useful, however, be aware that roof lights come in two types.. 'fixed' and 'non-fixed' ventilation..

if you have fixed ventilation you shouldn't block it.. it is there to provide ventilation to help reduce condensation, it also reduces the risk of CO build up.. it is part of the design to give a proper air flow throught the van.. vents of any kind should never be blocked..

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Good idea & even better that it was free! (y)
We have been planning to chop up some thick silver coated camping mats that we already have for when it's too cold or hot to go between the hab . windows & blinds & for the Heki ones too:

<Broken link removed>

Hopefully they won't be too floppy but won't know until they have been chopped up :eek:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Insulation can be useful, however, be aware that roof lights come in two types.. 'fixed' and 'non-fixed' ventilation..

if you have fixed ventilation you shouldn't block it.. it is there to provide ventilation to help reduce condensation, it also reduces the risk of CO build up.. it is part of the design to give a proper air flow throught the van.. vents of any kind should never be blocked..

Yes agree and a point worth making, but in our case we also have vents in the floor within the internal lockers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Yes agree and a point worth making, but in our case we also have vents in the floor within the internal lockers.

yes, but the roof light vent is part of the design to maintain an air flow through the van to remove moist, stale air .. blocking roof light vent and it won't be so effective.. it will prevent moisture laden air from escaping

this diagram is an office, but it shows the principle of good air flow design

Untitled.png

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
They are the reason I didn't put roof lights in my self build. I had been fulltiming a year and had a -20°c winter the year before in my Eura Mobil. The cab area of the van was freezing and blew a draft through until I put a thick blanket over the dash board and the roof vents always seemed cold..

So the self build didn't have roof vents and I built an insulated bulkhead between the living area and the cab area...

That said, another fulltimer I knew used to use cushions in the roof vent in both height of summer and depth of winter to keep heat and cold out. He said don't tell the missus but those bloody cushions came in handy after all. Just wish I could find some way of using them during spring and autumn.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You'll find Kingspan or Celotex insulation boards as effective and not as messy to work with.

Noted but would they be free, as in nothing, nowt, zip, zilch!

I might be at Mo's but I'm still a Tyke(y)

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
yes, but the roof light vent is part of the design to maintain an air flow through the van to remove moist, stale air .. blocking roof light vent and it won't be so effective.. it will prevent moisture laden air from escaping

this diagram is an office, but it shows the principle of good air flow design

View attachment 263705

Noted BUT? theres a rooflight in the bathroom, there's a gale blows (and probably sucks too) through the sides of the oven. There are vents everywhere but the heat rises and finds the point of least resistance. In this case where the Polyplasic is ie the rooflight.

Paddywack

Free Member
Oct 15, 2013
Neasham, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Hymer ExsisT588
Noted but would they be free, as in nothing, nowt, zip, zilch!

I might be at Mo's but I'm still a Tyke(y)
Go to any building site, there's a lot around , and ask for a kingspan offcut - they fill skips with stuff that's the perfect size.

Alternatively wait for a windy day and stand downwind of a building site!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
By all means insulate the windows(s) , but re fixed ventilation, what Hymer also say ..

1. 2.2 General
  • The oxygen in the vehicle interior is used up by breathing and the use of gas operated appliances. That is why the oxygen needs to be replaced on a constant basis. For this purpose, forced ventilation options (e.g. skylights with forced ventilation, mushroom-shaped vents or floor vents) are fitted to the vehicle. Never cover or block forced ventilations from the inside or outside with objects such as e.g. a winter mat. Keep forced ven- tilations clear of snow and leaves. There is a danger of suffocation due to increased CO2 levels.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back