Long-term storage - battery (Honda) (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
I will be storing my Honda motor scooter for a period of 5 months.
Unfortunately I will not have access to an electric point from which to maintain the charge with a charger, nor will I have access to the scooter during its storage. (The scooter is staying in secure storage under cover in Spain whilst we tour in our motorhome this summer.)

Is it best to remove the battery from the scooter or will it be okay to simply disconnect the negative terminal, as I have read somewhere?

(If removal is best I can take it with us in the MH and probably (if necessary) be able to trickle charge it when I purchase a charger.)

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks

Ps: I would add that the scooter is loaded with more computer stuff and gadgetry than an F-35.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Writing a comment just to get this post “live” again as I posted it very early in the morning and it probably missed my target audience.

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
Best is take the battery with you and charge after a few months. If not, disconnect negative is fine then charge before using.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I would just disconnect the negative, it’s not going to get cold over the next 5 months in Spain and that’s what normally drains a battery.. if it’s a good newish one it’ll be fine to stand that long…

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 23, 2007
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 and many as a tugger
I bought a 3 year old Honda Vision many years ago. Had it delivered to work and as it was winter but it in a large machine crate. I then forgot about it, ( yes completely).
One of the lads fond it 7 months later. And by the skin of its teeth it started.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Our car gets left for 5 odd months, the last one we just took the negative lead off, this latest one we plug in a battery maintainer using the power supply for the garage door. :cool: Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I just had to do my MOT for the suzuki address and noticed I had done the 1 mile from the last MOT. Only it was 6 months out of date ! So 18 months of it being parked on the drive and it started first time.
The Honda Forza was similar but not used for 8 months and she started as well. Both passed but needed air in the tyres.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back