Locking wheel nuts (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Our new MH will have rather nice aluminium wheels. They don’t apparently come with locking wheel nuts which surprises me.

Having had a couple of alloy wheels stolen many years ago I think locking nuts are probably fairly essential especially as the vehicle is kept in storage. The base vehicle is a Peugeot as is the MH chassis. Are the studs a larger diameter than those on a car or can I buy a standard set?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Every vehicle comes with decent alloys these days.
The days of stealing alloys to bling your ride are long gone.
The next fad will be stealing steel wheels from those unlucky enough not to have alloys to fit winter tyres to.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you still want a set you need to know the taper on your wheels.
No such thing as a 'standard' set, there are a few tapers and the wrong one will damage the wheel as well as pose a risk of coming undone.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Every vehicle comes with decent alloys these days.
The days of stealing alloys to bling your ride are long gone.
The next fad will be stealing steel wheels from those unlucky enough not to have alloys to fit winter tyres to.
Don't winter tyres fit onto alloys?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Our m/h is on a FIAT Ducato base and I sourced the locking wheel nuts directly from our local FIAT Professional garage. No more expensive than from accessory shops in our area.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't winter tyres fit onto alloys?
Yes, but it's cheaper to have a set of steel rims with winter rubber permanently mounted than have them swapped rim to rim every year.
I wouldn't run winter rubber in summer....too noise and too soft but then I use chains.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the later fiat/peugeot has 2 possible size bolt threads and 2 different lengths for alloys or steel. you need to get the correct set based on chassis or reg number

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Yes, but it's cheaper to have a set of steel rims with winter rubber permanently mounted than have them swapped rim to rim every year.
I wouldn't run winter rubber in summer....too noise and too soft but then I use chains.
If I was nicking some rims to fit winter tyres to, I don't think I'd be particular about the kind of rim.
Do these rims fit (m)any cars? I rather suspect that they're taken for that purpose.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
way too big and uncool for a car, maybe fit some 4x4s

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Our new MH will have rather nice aluminium wheels. They don’t apparently come with locking wheel nuts which surprises me.

Having had a couple of alloy wheels stolen many years ago I think locking nuts are probably fairly essential especially as the vehicle is kept in storage. The base vehicle is a Peugeot as is the MH chassis. Are the studs a larger diameter than those on a car or can I buy a standard set?
You should only have to buy 4 locking wheel nuts, the van should come with the proper bolts fitted for you alloys. Take one along to Halfords and have them identified. Whether you get them at Halfords is a different matter.:D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If I was nicking some rims to fit winter tyres to, I don't think I'd be particular about the kind of rim.
That comment was really meant to be tongue in cheek.
As for as for fitting cars.....If the PDC is correct then yes, they will.
The majority of cars now run 16" or 18" wheels with low profile tyres so wouldn't look out of place.
But in reality, when did you last see a motorhome, or a car come to that, stood on bricks with no wheels.
I haven't seen one since the 80s.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
That comment was really meant to be tongue in cheek.
As for as for fitting cars.....If the PDC is correct then yes, they will.
The majority of cars now run 16" or 18" wheels with low profile tyres so wouldn't look out of place.
But in reality, when did you last see a motorhome, or a car come to that, stood on bricks with no wheels.
I haven't seen one since the 80s.
It still happens ppj. We had a hire van for work. Doing a n/s in a suburb in Glasgow.
Next day the cable that holds the spare in place was dangling and the spare was gone.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It still happens ppj. We had a hire van for work. Doing a n/s in a suburb in Glasgow.
Next day the cable that holds the spare in place was dangling and the spare was gone.
Would still have gone with locking wheel nuts fitted :).

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Whether or not they get stolen is likely to have as much to do with the fitment. "Standard" type wheels for instance will be more "nickable", in order to replace white van man`s worn out tyres!. A set of alloys on the other hand are more specific to "recreational" uses, cannot see too many Funsters going about with a jack and bricks?:D2. I would imagine that Locking nots are available via the manufacturers outlets?. Possibly even Halfrods.

soreeyes

Free Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Sunlight T69L 2017
Exp
im a newbie
When I tried to buy a spare wheel a few months ago I found it a difficult task trying to get 16 inch alloy fiat wheels on a light chassis 118 mm pcd as majority are 16 inch for the maxi chassis on a 130 mm pcd .

I was quoted by wheel manufacturers and dealers that some are waiting and on over a year back orders .

Apart from the 360 quid for the alloy and 180 for new tyre .

A stolen wheel or set would fly I would imagine on a Auction site .
So it made sense to me to protect something that is in high demand .
I got mine from Fiat professional for my alloys on a light chassis M14 X 29 mm .

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back