LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Has anyone found anything better than these stupid plastic door catches for their motorhome.

After being hit on the head too many times Colin has removed ours so they cannot be used at all. Even replacing them with new ones now and then is only a temporary solution as in the hot weather they just give up.
51MK0mwxsZL._AC_UL220_SR180,220_.jpg

Our heads, elbows and backs would be very grateful for something that offers a quality alternative.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
magnums do locker stays that work like the window ones or they do sprung hinges that hold the door up firmly ,very firmly someone i know was testing one at magnums and it trapped his finger and they had to use mole grips to open it. I had them on the lockers on the old van and they always stayed up or down Only down side is they are surface fix rather than recessed and theres little adjustment but they might work in tandem with your existing hinges maybe just one per door to keep it up or down

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
actually looks like they do a second hinge and stay i cant see what the difference is between them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Are you talking about outside locker doors? if so a few to choose from here,along with interior ones,trouble is the better they look the further they will stick out from the side of the van!

http://www.zeppy.io/discover/gb/caravan-door-catch

we have these on ours,not perfect but a more positive action, not sure how well they would work on a top hung door!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Has anyone found anything better than these stupid plastic door catches for their motorhome.

After being hit on the head too many times Colin has removed ours so they cannot be used at all. Even replacing them with new ones now and then is only a temporary solution as in the hot weather they just give up.
View attachment 182853
Our heads, elbows and backs would be very grateful for something that offers a quality alternative.
I haven't done the lockers yet but I've replaced the one on the hab door with neodymium magnets embedded in nylon drilled to use the original holes. It works even better than I expected - powerful but doesn't need the initial effort to release. And can't wear out.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I must admit the door catch on our new Hymer is less than useless and they fitted it as close to the hinges as possible you would think that over the years they would have worked it out

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hello ,I had the same catch on my hab door and a simple solution was to drill a hole in both latch and keep and shape a new tent peg through the holes I used a goalpost shape and it worked a treat and best of all it was free.:)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of the magnetic one for the hab door. Maybe the gas struts would work for the 2 lift up lockers and the side opening garage doors.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
I haven't done the lockers yet but I've replaced the one on the hab door with neodymium magnets embedded in nylon drilled to use the original holes. It works even better than I expected - powerful but doesn't need the initial effort to release. And can't wear out.

Any chance of a link please ? got to be better than a bungee!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I found some on eBay made by Swift at £28 a shot!!

Apart from the price can I put a Swift product on a Dethleffs motorhome....???:Eeek: it could cause all sorts of problems. :whistle2:

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Search e-bay for "horse box door catch".

That will come up with some good options.

Ian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back