Lock-down Gave Me Time To Finally Finish My Projects! (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hello funsters, I thought I'd share a couple of outstanding Moho projects that I've finally tackled during lock down. I have been intending these past 18 months or so to fit a proper draft skirt and rail for the awning, and to make and fit an extractor fan system for the fridge but never quite got round to doing them. However, they are now done.

1. The draft skirt and rail:
20200724_162425.jpg

The Moho is a Bailey Autograph which is low profile and as such has a lowered door which meant the skirt rail had to be fitted in three sections to accommodate the door and the rear wheel arch. This was not a problem in its self but did throw up the problem of the skirt sliding out of the front and rear short sections of rail. To cure this I needed some sort of clamp to attach to the keder section of the skirt. I could find awning rail stoppers but not skirt clamps (they may be out there but I couldn't find any) so I decided to make my own. I used 30 amp cable connectors which I cut to allow the connector to slide over the keder and used the terminal screws to tighten when in place.
20200724_162516.jpg

A couple of before and after pictures of the 30 amp connectors.
20200724_170218.jpg 20200724_170245.jpg
Overall it has turned out very well and actually looks the part.

2. The Fridge Fan System.
I pondered over this with regards to where I would locate the on/off switch, the control unit and fuse protection, in the end I didn't fancy drilling through units etc so I made the unit self contained. I used 2x3 inch 12 volt computer cooling fans (rated for continuous running) about £3 each, a 12 volt temperature controller, an on/off rocker switch and an in-line fuse carrier. The whole lot cost approx £12 from a well known sales site. I fitted the units to a piece of MDF and drilled additional holes to help with airflow. To attach the unit I fitted a piece of plastic right angle, the size of the MDF board, to the top of the top vent (there was one already at the bottom of the vent. I picked the 12 volt constant feed from the top of the fridge, the one used for the fridge light which is always live.
20200724_155336.jpg

20200724_155249.jpg
I set the temp controller to 30 degrees C, the fans kick in at 32 and cool down to 30 in about 1 minute and is working fine on the drive. We are away for a week soon so I will be able to see if it works as well as other funsters have said after fitting fridge fans. I intend to keep the system switched on and let the controller do its job when we are using the moho. When not in use it's a simple job to unclip the top vent and isolate the system with the on/off switch.
I hope this is of use to other funsters. Stay Safe.

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Hello funsters, I thought I'd share a couple of outstanding Moho projects that I've finally tackled during lock down. I have been intending these past 18 months or so to fit a proper draft skirt and rail for the awning, and to make and fit an extractor fan system for the fridge but never quite got round to doing them. However, they are now done.

1. The draft skirt and rail:
View attachment 409898
The Moho is a Bailey Autograph which is low profile and as such has a lowered door which meant the skirt rail had to be fitted in three sections to accommodate the door and the rear wheel arch. This was not a problem in its self but did throw up the problem of the skirt sliding out of the front and rear short sections of rail. To cure this I needed some sort of clamp to attach to the keder section of the skirt. I could find awning rail stoppers but not skirt clamps (they may be out there but I couldn't find any) so I decided to make my own. I used 30 amp cable connectors which I cut to allow the connector to slide over the keder and used the terminal screws to tighten when in place.
View attachment 409899
A couple of before and after pictures of the 30 amp connectors.
View attachment 409902 View attachment 409903
Overall it has turned out very well and actually looks the part.

2. The Fridge Fan System.
I pondered over this with regards to where I would locate the on/off switch, the control unit and fuse protection, in the end I didn't fancy drilling through units etc so I made the unit self contained. I used 2x3 inch 12 volt computer cooling fans (rated for continuous running) about £3 each, a 12 volt temperature controller, an on/off rocker switch and an in-line fuse carrier. The whole lot cost approx £12 from a well known sales site. I fitted the units to a piece of MDF and drilled additional holes to help with airflow. To attach the unit I fitted a piece of plastic right angle, the size of the MDF board, to the top of the top vent (there was one already at the bottom of the vent. I picked the 12 volt constant feed from the top of the fridge, the one used for the fridge light which is always live.
View attachment 409907
View attachment 409906
I set the temp controller to 30 degrees C, the fans kick in at 32 and cool down to 30 in about 1 minute and is working fine on the drive. We are away for a week soon so I will be able to see if it works as well as other funsters have said after fitting fridge fans. I intend to keep the system switched on and let the controller do its job when we are using the moho. When not in use it's a simple job to unclip the top vent and isolate the system with the on/off switch.
I hope this is of use to other funsters. Stay Safe.

Regarding the fan on/off switch. I built a similar system and mounted the on/off switch just behind the vent cover. This means I can reach in to switch on or off the fan without removing the vent. You could fix it to your MDF board. Best use a waterproof switch.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I'm not sure about mounting the fans on a sheet. When the fans are not running it will restrict the natural convection current of air. I think they would be better mounted on something like thin strips of wood or metal. Alternatively, cut the biggest holes you can in the sheet 2"+ if you can. This way the air being expelled will draw out more air around the fans. Need job though. 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back