Location of split charge relay in Rapido 703 (1 Viewer)

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Evening all,

Are there any other Rapido owners out there who might know where the split charge relay would be on our van?

I'm intending to install a Battery Master so need to find the best place to do this.

The leisure battery and other habitation-type electrics are in the garage under the bed and the engine battery is under the passenger footwell, so too far apart to wire together directly. Apparently it can be done at the split charge relay.

The EHU battery charger is in the same place and I know it trickle-charges the engine battery, so that might be a better alternative.

Any idea?

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If you have a Rapido then you probably have a CBE 12v distribution box. The split charge relay is mounted on the printed circuit board (PCB) within the box.

If installing a battery master (BM), I don't think it's necessary to disable the split charge relay. But you do need to link the starter/leisure batteries via the BM.

Others who are more familiar with the wiring of the BM will hopefully be along soon.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
If your leisure batteries are close to the CBE box, you could connect to the +B1 terminal on the CBE box, then to the BM and on to the leisure battery +'ve. This would avoid having to route a separate cable from BM to starter battery.

Hopefully, others more knowledgeable than me, will be able to confirm this.

For me (with CBE electrics), I just plug into EHU every 2 weeks to keep the starter battery topped up.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Update:
Searching previous posts on this forum with respect to the Battery Master, it is ok to connect to +B1 terminal (starter), +B2 (leisure) and negative to -B2 terminal, with respect to the terminals on the CBE box.

The Battery Master is sold by Vanbitz or the shop on this forum http://shop.motorhomefun.co.uk/product/battery-master/

An alternative (cheaper) solution is the CBE CSB2, but this is only useful if you have solar panels because it will only trigger power to the starter battery when the leisure battery is at 13.6v or greater. If you don't have solar, then Battery Master is the way to go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Yep, looks like it’s a CBE charger. Thanks for the references to the correct terminals Wagoneer. I do have solar, but at the moment the only way to get charge to the starter battery seem to be plugging in EHU. The reason I bought the Vanbitz BM is to allow the leisure battery to top up the starter, as the leisure gets a good service from the solar panel and I installed a Victronix Smart Solar MPPT controller that I already had, in place of the original PMR controller, which has improved this further still.

Once I get the BM installed I will hopefully not have to worry about the starter battery running down whilst parked not being used.

Edit: oh, and I did buy it in the end from the MHF shop.

Great help here guys. Thank you!

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
Wired in today, as per above. Really easy. 3 x 6mm ring crimp terminals and straight onto the poles in the CBE box. Lovely.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Has anyone opened a Battery Master up to see what the circuitry is? No disrespect to the manufacturers / retailers but £60 should buy a lot of electrical parts in a 'potted' enclosure.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Old thread I know but Im seeing on another forum that the Battery Master isnt required on Rapido motorhoems have a similar system already pre installed? Even Eddie mentioned on there that not required? but just for rapido
anyone know?

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
I have a rapido9048df 2007 just fitted lithium with a B2B but the CBE ds250 panel with a split charger split charger this is creating a loop and the batteries are charging back on themselves so I need to disable the split charger can anyone help it’s doing my Swed in

Oct 10, 2018
Bracklesham Bay, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hydrocell There are manuals for some CBE units that may help in the Manuals for Motorhome stuff (page 3) section of Resources (bottom of this page ) these show a different system for a simulated D+ and split charging

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I have a rapido9048df 2007 just fitted lithium with a B2B but the CBE ds250 panel with a split charger split charger this is creating a loop and the batteries are charging back on themselves so I need to disable the split charger can anyone help it’s doing my Swed in

I agree you need to disable the split charge relay but I did it on a DS300 and know nothing about DS250. I used a normally closed relay on the engine battery connection to the DS which was opened by the D+ signal when the engine is running. This isolates the engine battery from the leisure one at the same time as the split charge relay tries to join them. On some earlier DS models I think there may have been a switch to disable the split charge and on some the split charge was an external relay. I think things will be different on your Rapido so my solution might well be wrong for you.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Not seen a DS250 panel but our PC320 panel connected to a DS450 block has a separate split charge relay (battery separator) which I found behind the passenger step trim panel in our Rapido 7065+

IMG_20230516_184409897.jpg

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Again i have a ds300 and a later system that only required to cut R38 to issolate the split charge relay. again may not be relevant to your model, we need a circuit diag.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Are you sure its a DS250 and not a DS520? Have you got any manuals? I cant find any reference to a CBE DS250.

OP
OP
ManTheVan

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
I agree you need to disable the split charge relay but I did it on a DS300 and know nothing about DS250. I used a normally closed relay on the engine battery connection to the DS which was opened by the D+ signal when the engine is running. This isolates the engine battery from the leisure one at the same time as the split charge relay tries to join them. On some earlier DS models I think there may have been a switch to disable the split charge and on some the split charge was an external relay. I think things will be different on your Rapido so my solution might well be wrong for you.
Nope, you were totally correct Pausim. I followed your circuit diagram when I did this install in 2020 with a NC relay and it has worked flawlessly ever since. So too has the Vanbitz Battery Master.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
I think one of the complications with CBE DS systems is that different manufacturers have used different arrangements and ordered non standard variations on the DS units to suit their motorhomes. The standard DS300 has a built in split charge relay but clearly external relays are used on some Rapido models. My DS300 has a sticker marking it as a DS300-CA which suggests it is a model specific to Carthago.

The reason I used an extra NC relay was because I could easily reverse the procedure and I am glad I did. In a few months time I am downsizing to a Malibu Van and for the second time my B2B and Li battery will be coming with me. The original gel battery will go back having been kept properly charged in my shed for 5 years, the relay and Votronic B2B will come out leaving a working split charge system.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
The one and only thanks for your replay yes you are right it is the DS520 I was using a mirror to see the sticker so it was back to front or I'm back to front

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
I forgot to say thanks so much for your replays just trying to get it sorted before I go to Spain on Saturday here's what it looks like with out the cover

6D9CA6C4-E139-4FCA-80E9-72E4A21075C2.jpeg

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If there is no heavy duty connection to the engine battery on the DS then an external relay seems likely and the dunnah01 answer looks promising.

Jun 22, 2012
Ebbw Vale Gwent
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9048df A class
Exp
seven
Thanks I'll have a look but as mine is an A Class and 2007 it may different but I will check regards Ray

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
These pages from the manual may help.
ds520.png
fuses ds520.png

Functions DS520-2.png

connectionsDS520.png

The small relais (relay) may be on board switching the power switching relays (as on my Rapido)

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I forgot to say thanks so much for your replays just trying to get it sorted before I go to Spain on Saturday here's what it looks like with out the cover

View attachment 861949
Your split charge system is the relays & diode incorporated into the bottom right corner of the control board so there will be no separate box. It will be difficult to isolate it without a big hammer but if your handy with a soldering iron you need to remove the big relay with the green sticker on it from the board. Alternatively you need to identify which wire provides the 12vtrigger feed for the relay and disconnect it. It may be obvious if you can follow the tracks on the rear of the PCB but it may also be a trial and error thing

EDIT: Ignore this advice I thought you were fitting a B2B

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
Your split charge system is the relays & diode incorporated into the bottom right corner of the control board so there will be no separate box. It will be difficult to isolate it without a big hammer but if your handy with a soldering iron you need to remove the big relay with the green sticker on it from the board. Alternatively you need to identify which wire provides the 12vtrigger feed for the relay and disconnect it. It may be obvious if you can follow the tracks on the rear of the PCB but it may also be a trial and error thing
If you disconnect the 12V trigger feed it could affect other operations such as the fridge. On my DS300 the linking relay with the green sticker on it can be disabled by snipping out one of the resistors on the board. This may not be the case on all versions of the DS300.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back