Light cluster replacement/repair (1 Viewer)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Whilst in storage our rear light cluster has been knocked off, didn't look too bad. Fittings on the reflector have been shattered. 3 screws holding it in, John is a retired engineer and thought he could fix it easily.
However, you can't get to the back of the fitting, looks like the whole of the back would need to come off the van !!! metal plate, which is structural is behind the fitting.
Now my solution is to mastic that part onto van using sikaflex or similar fixing from front of light to backplate is intact.

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
First photo showing broken fixings
second shows all we can see when we remove the trim in the garage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Is this a pvc? Most converters fail to leave access inside, so you have to neatly cut and create a door if needed

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Is this a pvc? Most converters fail to leave access inside, so you have to neatly cut and create a door if needed

Unfortunately no it is a coachbuilt that is in the garage goes full height of van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
sue can you grab some better photos? from the outside of the van please

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
sue can you grab some better photos? from the outside of the van please
Van back in storage thought i had taken more but no more on phone, would go and take more but J not happy about me touching anything, in case I break it :( i thought it was already broken. will post more when I can.
Just found more not sure if they will help though
Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
Broken Link Removed
This is how we found the van when I went to check on it

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Amazed at the amount of muck behind it but don't suppose it is too bad for 11 years. Clean now.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Hi Sue.
Are the grey bits of plastic lugs that they were attached to?
Second thoughts for a fix would be to use the self adhesive extra strong Velcro which is what much of my van uses to assemble the rear body panels. Warning! The extra strong Velcro is very strong, it can be pulled apart but not easily.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
getting hold of a replacement light will be hard, so a repair essential. on that type of rear panel the side columns are held on by clips. at 11 years old though they may be brittle so be very careful if you do go down the path of removing

personally if the lense is not too bad, I would bond it back on with several blobs of sikaflex or puraflex. to hold it up till the urethane cures, several long strips of duct tape across the lense will work

if whilst apart you can find identifying numbers, it will help with the search for a replacement fitting

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
if its all working i would fit new bulbs and sikafix it back in place in a way you can cut the sika if you ever need to remove it again

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Ye@TheBig1yes there are identifying numbers lens itself is undamaged the back plate ie reflector has been writhed off breaking the plastic fittings. these are what the retaining screw goes into from the back not possible to get to this part.
Th front ie red/perspex over the bulbs comes off fine and is undamaged, only had van 4 years @pappajohn not needed to change a bulb yet, the bulb is ok it is just the earth wire which has become dislodged. the front lens comes off to access the bulbs
Haven't explained well, the second lot of photos are how we found the van.
The exterior lens and bulbs are undamaged. the back plate/reflector is screwed in place from inside the van, behind a large metal plate, full height of the van which is structural you cant get to the back of the screw to remove the damaged part, even if you could you couldn't screw a new piece back in place, good planning a bit like the boiler dave Newell had to replace/fix.
@rosalan I am keen on the sikaflex/ heavy duty velcro but J feels it is a bodge. Am annoyed as I wanted to go away this weekend. If I can replace the earth wire I might just trust to gaffer tape for a couple of days After all it held the back bumer on the last van for a2 month tour.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@mitzimad like this solution. If I didn't have a John would just go and do it myself, but he prefers to do this himself. Don't know why i am better at building a stud wall than he is.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
My thoughts are magnets.
If the mounting is steel fix a couple of magnets to the back of the light with epoxy resin.
If its fiberglass source thin magnets and epoxy magnets in matching pairs to the body and light.
You could fit 3 or even 4 pairs and removing the light cluster in future would be far easier and cleaner than Sikaflex.
Magnets of many shapes and sizes are readily available on such as eBay for little money.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
ok engineers solution. remove lense, repair wiring and drill reflector, rear of light and use long self tapping screws and stainless steel washers, to spread the load, and screw back into place. the white abs plastic would need to be drilled 1mm smaller than the outside diameter of the self tapping screws. choose self tapping stainless screws allowing a 10mm penetration into the abs

took longer to write than do the repair, plus then there is the fun an engineer can have sourcing and choosing suitable parts

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just read your last post.
Another option would be to drill the back of the lamp and screw, using stainless screws, into the mounting plate.
If the screws are next to the broken mounting lugs the lugs would maintain the correct spacing or something could be glued in to the correct spacing.
Easy to remove later.

I assumed because of the type of bulb holder they were only accessible from behind.

Pfft... Big1 beat me too it.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
some great ideas will show them all to J tomorrow, he is currently trying out whatever real ale they have on special offer at a Beverley hostelry. I am drinking tea as I will have to pick him up later.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Be careful of your back, a full body can be quite challenging when returning it to the vertical.

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
@rosalan thanks for your concern you may be closer to the truth than you realise ;)

OP
OP
scotzsue
Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Right then, update time, the sikaflex won. Is nice and solid all the lights work time for off and the warm dry weather is going :(
I do have a big coat and wellies, but like sitting out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back