Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Many thanks for that advice. I'll check up on the website now.
Only time will tell just how much we will use the ebikes. If we don't use them very much then expensive ones might not be good v for m.
Dilemma. (Should have used that for my pen name!)
Seakerr
I had a quick look at cheaper brands and two manufacturers seem to be regarded but obviously check .....Oxygen and Cube

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Moved from caravan in 2017
I'll try to find these bikes. I find that looking at them in the flesh as it were is better than online although thanks to people here I've found much of interest. We're spending as ich time on looking for bikes as we did for the motorhome - well nearly!
Seakerr

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
We are two delighted haibike owners ,they really do flatten out those hills i tow my three little dogs behind and have done up to 40km one day up and down hills in the Derbyshire peak District

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I'll try to find these bikes. I find that looking at them in the flesh as it were is better than online although thanks to people here I've found much of interest. We're spending as ich time on looking for bikes as we did for the motorhome - well nearly!
Seakerr
It's important to do both. Just don't get talked into buying something that you haven't researched no matter how good the deal ☺

kelv

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2014
leicester
Funster No
MH
Carthago 145
Exp
I have a small platform step it makes life a lot easier when lifting bikes on and putting cover over.
Its also helpful when putting awning up.
Folds up quite small.
upload_2017-4-3_11-51-57.jpeg

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks Kelv. Oddly enough my wife just bought a folding step yesterday but it doesn't look a big as yours. Been out again this morning looking at more bikes. The more I look at the more confused I become. However saw a Ube bike that has been recommended. That and the Raleigh look good.
Seakerr.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Thanks Kelv. Oddly enough my wife just bought a folding step yesterday but it doesn't look a big as yours. Been out again this morning looking at more bikes. The more I look at the more confused I become. However saw a Ube bike that has been recommended. That and the Raleigh look good.
Seakerr.
Ube?? Do you mean Cube? If so then I think you would be okay. If you come across a make and Google it, and nothing shows up...walk away!

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
At great expense we bought this bike rack recently from RoadPro, which I am very pleased with.
Van Star 1.jpg
Van Star 2.jpg
It is designed for PVC with 2 opening rear doors and will be excellent for e-bikes which we are saving up for at present. It will allow us to open the back doors without unloading the bikes, which I would never do with the old bike rack, and I can currently lift my push bike on (or off) it without having to solicit the help of a passing stranger... The down side is that my reversing sensors had to be disconnected. RoadPro also stock a.

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
At great expense we bought this bike rack recently from RoadPro, which I am very pleased with. View attachment 155842 View attachment 155844 It is designed for PVC with 2 opening rear doors and will be excellent for e-bikes which we are saving up for at present. It will allow us to open the back doors without unloading the bikes, which I would never do with the old bike rack, and I can currently lift my push bike on (or off) it without having to solicit the help of a passing stranger... The down side is that my reversing sensors had to be disconnected. RoadPro also stock a.
You are not kidding! €1350 Bet that put a dent in your ebike fund. Nice products though.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
You are not kidding! €1350 Bet that put a dent in your ebike fund. Nice products though.
Plus the electrical stuff, the fitting and a new numberplate. However, if I am going to enjoy my van experience instead of struggling, then why not? I got a good price from RoadPro at the NEC show and we had been thinking about this for over a year. We went to see Judgemental's (RIP Lovely man) Busbiker (also Dutch) last year, but no one fits them in UK, so factor in a trip to Holland for one of those and I don't think we did too badly! We will enjoy the rack and the e-bikes when we get them. The van is quite economical to run (last long trip 40 MPG), and since we will probably have to give it up in 5 years or so when they stop letting us in to any cities, then s*d it, let's do it now!!

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Found a bike that seems great for us (if a bit expensive) it's the Ridgeback Electron (£2399.99 minus 15%) It has hub gears so no tangle of hubs and gears externally, hydraulic hub brakes and it rides well if a bit low geared. I've checked google and it's shown there and I'm told that Ridgeway is a long established British company. Does anyone know any reason why I should not go ahead with the purchase if the shop fits a higher geared cog?

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Plus the electrical stuff, the fitting and a new numberplate. However, if I am going to enjoy my van experience instead of struggling, then why not? I got a good price from RoadPro at the NEC show and we had been thinking about this for over a year. We went to see Judgemental's (RIP Lovely man) Busbiker (also Dutch) last year, but no one fits them in UK, so factor in a trip to Holland for one of those and I don't think we did too badly! We will enjoy the rack and the e-bikes when we get them. The van is quite economical to run (last long trip 40 MPG), and since we will probably have to give it up in 5 years or so when they stop letting us in to any cities, then s*d it, let's do it now!!
I like your style! Good luck with your travels☺

Triple7

Free Member
Sep 24, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Found a bike that seems great for us (if a bit expensive) it's the Ridgeback Electron (£2399.99 minus 15%) It has hub gears so no tangle of hubs and gears externally, hydraulic hub brakes and it rides well if a bit low geared. I've checked google and it's shown there and I'm told that Ridgeway is a long established British company. Does anyone know any reason why I should not go ahead with the purchase if the shop fits a higher geared cog?
For a hub drive that sounds very expensive. If you are around that budget you really should be considering a crank drive (motor by the pedals). Also gears are a good thing as it's more efficient, giving better range. I'm about to get what many people consider is the best ebike out there, the Specialized Turbo Levo from one of the best manufacturers for £3000. I'm not suggesting you spend that but just to give a relative comparison. You could certainly get a good Haibike for what you are spending which would be way better. If you are not in a huge rush why not ask for advice on the pedelec forum? I'm guessing you will save a lot of money and end up with something better.Good luck

P's I've just noticed you live in Barton (I used to live in Lymington) . Visit Hargrove Cycles in Southampton. They are a very well respected large retailer and will have a selection of makes as well as be able to give you the pros and cons of hub vs crank motors

Last edited:

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Thanks both. It does have crankcase drive. It's the gears that are within the hub. (My terminology!). I'll try Hargrove Xycles and I've also tried the pedelec site where I've registered but when I try to log on they don't know me. I'll remember the spender story and try again.
Seakerr.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Hi @Seakerr, if it has the Shimano Nexus hub gears, it's a straightforward job changing the final drive gear, they're readily available and I think it's just a big circlip or snapring that holds them in place, though it's a while since I changed one. I considered doing it on our Kalkhoffs as they seemed a bit low geared but we've just stuck with the originals as we sometimes pull a trailer.

Seakerr

Free Member
Mar 15, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Yes this Ridgeback has low gearing too. The knowledgable seeming guy in the shop tells me that this can e rectified by changing the external hob. He undertakes to do this for around £19 which suits me well.
Seakerr

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back