LiFeP04 Power (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thought you might be interested in what I am doing to our van soon and what I have learned .Many forums discuss the pro cons of such a expensive power supply and I fall in to the try it and see bracket as we are now full time and having invested a lot in to our (new to us) Hymer Starline I want bells and whistles.

The cons say stick with conventional batteries as the technology will get cheaper as time goes and the pro say its the best thing they have had fitted to their vans.

We had Road Pro install the inverter some months back to allow use of 240v items such as kettle,hotplate,microwave,etc but soon learned that our expectations were high.The batteries ( 3x100 amp gel -usable 150 amp ) soon flattened and we found more experienced motorhomers only used their invertors sparingly.

The problem is that the batteries are not designed to supply large lumps of power but a smaller steady 12v supply.Along with that they take quite a while to charge again despite having 3x100 amp solar roof panels and a 180 amp “smart” alternator.

My research brings us to the LiFe04 technology and a better understanding of what is going on in the power supply presently on the van.

1 The expensive single NDS 150 amp LiFe04 battery can discharge down to 10% and the standard batteries down to 50% .The NDS weighs 21 kg and the three older ones weigh 60kg + .

The NDS can charge much quicker so replacing 30 % lost power even when just tick over on the engine for half hour,the old would require more to achieve that.

It works better with a inverter than standard due to its ability to give larger output without any detrimental harm to the cells ,unlike standard.

“IF” it works as promised it will have a long life 12 to 20 years and pay itself back by avoiding campsite electric charges typically £3.00 per day and can be transferred to any new van we may purchase in the future.

2 I now understand that the regulator for my solar panels could provide more power to the battery if it was a MPPT type .This boosts the input when needed for a quicker charge .

3 I now understand that a battery to battery charger will also provide a much quicker charge from the engine and that the standard item probably does not allow for the fact that this vans Euro 6 engine has a “smart” alternator.This has regenarative braking and provides peaks and troughs that can damage batteries.

The Sterling Power video on B to B for smart inverters would be interesting to any Euro 6 owners.Perhaps all new vans should have a similar device fitted as standard for battery protection.

So there we have it ,best part of three grand with fitting to get the best 12v power supply presently available .All change in a few years time maybe but then you can constantly put off buying the newest tech .

Work will be carried out by Road Pro and fitted to a forward locker instead of in the rear garage as we have rear axle load issue.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Would also be interested to compare notes on how your new system works.

I’ve just fitted 6 leisure batteries in my new van, and opted for Varta LFD 90’s over Gel as they apparently discharge and charge better despite being sealed flooded.

Best of luck with the install

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
Mifi
Laptops
Phones
Cameras
Bikes
Kindles
Harddrves
Gold gos
Fitbits / watches
Satellite dish
Router
Modem
Tv
Hairdryer
Iron

........... surly I’ve forgotten a few (?) these are the main things we need power for (Krächer window vac) and where possible we have cables that enable them to be run directly from 12v.

Since July we’ve affectivly run them all from a single 165 amp hour lithium battery and two 110 w solar panels, along with moving small (normal is under 100 km ) distances every three days.. the battery a Super B weighs under 20 kg I think and can be fully discharged and charged rapidly ...... we also have an EFOY generator as back up but have not needed it to date.. of course if we are on a site and electric is free then we will use it.

I’m certain I’d not use an electric kettle or a hot plate, (a heated plate used to keep food hot ?) EVER, why would you ? As for the other items microwave, etc are down to personnel choice.

We looked at the B2B option but if I remember correctly, new it comes with only something like a three month warranty, which tells me something!

My only concern is as we move into winter, then the system will, not work as effectively, only to e will tell but we do have space in the roof to get at least one maybe two more solar panels. As for heating, if on hookup we will use a 1500 w electric fan heater, off electric then the gas blown heating.

As part of your system you should certainly add two 16kg Alugas refillable gas bottles with an external filling point

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi Aliistair33
We have 2 Gaslow holding 42 litres .The occasional kettle has been fine on our gels but this winter has been a problem with the aldi running 24/7 on rallies where we stick to 12v only .Others use generators but our engine puts little back unless we go for a decent drive.After a few days we have the usual red warning and so low that we sleep with heating off. Time to try new ideas.Good to hear from someone who has actually used lithium
Thanks Jenben for the link,very informative.
Seems £2-3,000 for a Oyster system to watch a bit of telly is fine but the same for a much used and needed power supply is baffling to some.

OP
OP
mojo
May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The BtoB BB1260 from Stirling comes recommended for our "smart" alternator .Looks very important bit of kit for Euro 6 alternators on Utube .Now 2 year warranty.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> I now understand

I'm not convinced. You want heat you use gas.
You want light, entertainment and electric motive you use batteries.

You cannot carry bricks and mortar thinking into a motorhome without serious disappointment.

The same applies to water and waste.

Hugo108

Free Member
Nov 24, 2017
USA
Funster No
MH
Converted Sprinter van
Exp
I’m a newbie
My first post outside the Intro area.

An item of importance regarding these types of batteries.

They are very resilient and all of the pros are true. I have a 320 ah setup (2x 160 ah Victron LiFeP04) in our soon-to-be full time rig.

The issue is freezing batteries. LiFeP04 are completely safe if they freeze and thaw, but if one attempts to charge the batteries when in a frozen state, they will become damaged very rapidly. As in, if truely frozen, even ONE charging at a decent amperage will damage them.

Our first solution has been to have the batteries inside the living space, this is a self build from an empty van. Another important tool is a cold charge disconnect. The one in our setup disconnects if we attempt to rapidly charge if batteries are frozen.

A BMS is extremely important for longevity and a small price to pay for less worry. Attached is an example of how our BMS is connected.

If you want to know more then you really need to know about LiFeP04, I can link to, or tell you about the place I purchased my kit from.

I’m still new here and am not selling anything, I just like the kit I purchased and have been using for a little while. I have no affiliation with the company otherwise.

Attachments

• A7B2A9B6-D48E-4D04-A5BA-5CFD1ECA15B5.png
    A7B2A9B6-D48E-4D04-A5BA-5CFD1ECA15B5.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 64
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
While this thread is being posted to again, I thought I'd mention an alternative to the Sterling B2B that works with LifePO4:
http://www.votronic.de/index.php/en...ard-version/vcc-1212-90-new#technical-details

Seems to retail at around £400. Not decided whether to go with this or the Sterling yet.

Although I'll have too pretty soon. In Wales at the moment so will probably have a trip to Morland's and buy all the furniture board while here. Plus my new worksurfaces and sink arrive this week (they are a bit flash :) ).

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
@mojo Nice neat job.

Have you had chance to give a good test yet?
Also, do you have a way on monitoring how much charge is actually going into the battery whilst driving? If so, what are you seeing?

Thanks

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
quite informative. I was just looking at the pics to see if it's a self fit job, looks pretty straight forward....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back