MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have just emailed safeguard.

And the answer is...........
----------------------------------------------
Good Morning

Thank you for your web contact. Fire damage is covered under your policy no matter what the cause. This of course would be a fault claim on the policy as no third party would be involved. Any further questions please call to discuss.

Regards

Safeguard
----------------------------------------------------
This contradicts what they said over the phone some years ago about leaving a fan heater on. They said that would not be covered.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's nature's way of saying bicycles should be pedaled and not driven electrically... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:
I certainly hope I will be able to do that for a few years to come but we all rely on battery technology in one way or another.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It's nature's way of saying bicycles should be pedaled and not driven electrically... :whistle2:

JJ :cool:

My mate is getting electric bike curious, exactly what I keep saying to him, he's not a motorhomer but I might point him at this article!!

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer batteries are similar in that they can be made well and spec'd to deliver a lower current and charge. If they are treated well, they should be pretty safe. Or they can be built to a budget so more current and energy is squeezed out of a smaller battery (so saving money) which runs them close to their limits.

When I was playing with quadcopters/drones, the LiPo batteries I was using were as small and light as possible, but had to deliver large power outputs. They were touchy as hell. They'd frequently only last a couple of dozen charges and a few months and I've had several of them swell up (although no fires).

No-name ebike batteries are probably squeezing more out of the packs than a brand name like Bosch. Also, age isn't good for LiPo/Li-Ion, even if they are just sitting there.

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Bills taken ours out of van this is info on ours. Thankyou for making us aware. I'm still non the wiser if it's a good one or not or even if there is a good battery to have :(
IMG_20190708_102423.jpg

Amanda's from her di blasi doesn't have any info on it at all only a number. So will have to check spec on Di blasi info.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Was it a FUNster, did I miss-read it ?

We've been travelling with many Lithium batteries for 13 years, not had a fire yet.
Li batteries caused fires in aircraft, had to change to what they had previously none Li.
Even though the fires are rare, at least now, we have been forearmed with the info. (y)

Apr 19, 2018
Funster No
I've just rung Volt about this problem (because I've got two volt cycles) and he has had a look at this thread.
He says that particular battery is an old one and they now use Panasonic batteries. He says the Panasonic ones are some of the best out there. I've checked mine and they are, indeed, Panasonic. He is also sending me a link to some 'ammo' type boxes in which some people store their batteries.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
He says that particular battery is an old one and they now use Panasonic batteries. He says the Panasonic ones are some of the best out there. I've checked mine and they are, indeed, Panasonic.

How old are your batteries ? Forget warranty time, there is legal expectancy that such a product will gives years service. You may consider pushing for a new one.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As we have two threads running regarding this battery incident I have spoken to those concerned and taken the liberty (with Plumber-Jim ’s permission of course) of copying a response from the other thread,

Martin

Update on battery fire.
I have today spoken to James, one of the directors of Volt bikes, who like everyone else is very concerned about this incident. He tells me that the battery cencerned was of an old type now no longer used and all new bikes use Panasonic units. In fairness to Volt on seeing the posts on the fun website they tried to contact me via information from the invoice from the supplier. We have now come to a suitable arrangement and volt will come up with a statement on the incident in due course. A plus point is they are proposing a favourable trade in for upgrading old battery’s for the latest type.
Jim.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back