Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
As a newbie to solo motor homing and used to levelling a caravan with either lock and level or yellow ramps and mover, just wandering how fellow solo travellers manage to use ramps without anyone to guide when levelling a MH please?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You could fit E & P Jack's then you just press a button and the van self levels. Not cheap about £5½k lots of Funsters have them and rave over them.
We have air suspension that gives us a fairly good leveling but nowhere near as good as E & P, we had it fitted to improve the ride, it's a lot more expensive than the Jack's.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This, as long as the water drains out of the sink, shower I'm level enough.
That doesnt work for us. We like to sleep head up and the 2 drains are the head down end !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Our ramps are just plain flat triangles (ie no pockets or steps) but my dead easy system is this (Ducato based so 95 times out of a 100 we need to go up at the front) :
1 Place the ramp in front / behind the wheel and gently kick it so it's just under the tyre.
2 with your shoe / a stick draw a line at right angles on the ground marking the end
3 draw a second line marking the wheel centre.
4 the distance between these 2 lines is the max distance to drive up onto the ramp
5 of yiu can't see these lines by looking out the window or under the door then draw 2 more the same distance apart under the drivers door where you can see them
6 drive up that distance. When yiu stop and put the brake on you will drop back down a tad. As long as the centre of the wheel is not "over the edge" it should be fine.
7 check your spirit level, drop back down a bit if needed.

Works for us but, as always YMMV...

OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
You could fit E & P Jack's then you just press a button and the van self levels. Not cheap about £5½k lots of Funsters have them and rave over them.
We have air suspension that gives us a fairly good leveling but nowhere near as good as E & P, we had it fitted to improve the ride, it's a lot more expensive than the Jack's.
Way way out of my league and bank account !!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We usually seek a flattish bit to park on and dont worry if a bit off. Use the levellers only once or twice a year. You can get used to living on a slope ! :smiley:
Why should you when there's equipment available to prevent it?
You wouldn't accept your house not being level!

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
You could fit a "stop" to the high end of your ramps. You just need to make sure it fits under the bodywork.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
some fridges wont work on gas if not level (or close to it!)

stepped ramps work best for me, and as has been pointed out, just make sure they are straight and in line with the MH and slowly drive onto them or up them after having 'kicked' them under the tyres first to hold them

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
The only thing that works for me and MOH is LEVEL hence E&P jacks!!
Wonder where the old saying (level headed) comes from!
DJT

DJT

Jun 20, 2019
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Now Sold
Exp
The only thing that works for me and MOH is LEVEL hence E&P jacks!!
DJT

OP
OP
Agzy

Agzy

Free Member
Jan 6, 2020
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
You could fit a "stop" to the high end of your ramps. You just need to make sure it fits under the bodywork.
How do you mean a ‘stop’

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Able to see pros and cons without applying bias. Mentally balanced. Having an even temprement. Able to see the good and bad in a situation and make unbiased decision based on facts instead of emotion.

Reactions: DJT
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
This discussion illustrates that accessory manufacturers don't improve their designs. Surely the answer is ramps that have an up and a down slope - like existing ramps back to back with a hinge in the middle. If there was a short flat on top the highest setting would be easy to find too. They'd take up more room and payload but think of the convenience.................

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I level, I don’t, I level, I don’t. Please myself what I do depending on the slope or how I feel, not how others think I should feel. Always do it by myself though if I do level, but you can ask for help if required(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back