M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
I need a hose for filling fresh water, but...

Food grade or not?
Flat or round?
Expanding or roll up?
What connectors will I need?

I am also going to need something to top up for when on longer stays. Would rather not have an Aquaroll and pump. Thinking watering can but what size/shape?

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I like the shires best:)
IMG_4897.JPG

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I’ve got a couple of those green expanding hoses bought them from mymemory.com
They are very good don’t take up much space either
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/100-foot-expandable-garden-hose-with-spray-gun.html

We have an orange one and it is very good, known as "the erection hose" for obvious reasons. Also a flat hose on a reel which I hate as it is such a palaver to get all the water out so it goes flat again. We carry just about every type of connector for hose to hose and hose to tap there is - plus converters and adapters.

Who was at the Dumfries rally and witnessed the longest hose in the world attempt?

We have a watering can, as long as the spout goes into the motorhome filler point without the water coming out of the top of the can you should be okay. Don't get a can that is too heavy to carry when it is full.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A watering can or similar is useful for when you don’t want to move to the tap. These are good if you don’t have a lot of storage space. You can use it as a bucket too and I find buckets have a lot of handy uses from washing bits of the van to washing my hair to taking the clothes washing to campsite sinks to do the washing in. Invariably there are no sink plugs and they are a bit low anyway so doing the washing in a bucket on the draining board is a better height!
My washing bucket is separate to my fresh water container though :whistle:

Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
A lot of the time I use a 5litre plastic water bottle that way the water is not in the tank for to long.

Reactions: M-J
Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Some people will tell you that you need a food grade hose or YOU WILL DIE.. !! ;)

Like many others I have just used what i have available, still here (y):D

As for on site, a watering can or a 10ltr water container does me. Quiet enjoy the walk back and forward getting some exercise and chatting to people..

Upvote 0

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
+1 For the flat hose on a roll up cassette like the pic above. Mine has 3 internal tubes and works a treat yiu only unroll as much as you need and it still works. Also it's small enough gh to go into the filler so you don't need to hold it all the time.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I use an expanding hose. It's compact and lightweight. I don't worry about it not being food grade as I don't plan to eat it.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
+1 For the flat hose on a roll up cassette like the pic above. Mine has 3 internal tubes and works a treat yiu only unroll as much as you need and it still works. Also it's small enough gh to go into the filler so you don't need to hold it all the time.
Just get hoesafe filler cap it has a hoselok type connector on it vicarious were selling a similar one for around £9.(y)(y)

Upvote 0
Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Use blue food-grade flat hose.

There is no problem in using garden hose, but as it gets older, the inside of the hose will taint the taste of the water. Very unlikely to ever deteriorate to a point where the hose could be harmful.

So best stick with food grade. No heavier and a quid more expensive.

Upvote 0
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I use two flat hoses. One is 10m and the other is 15m, and I don’t have them in cassettes as they are fiddly, and not required on smaller hoses. That way most of the time I just use the shorter, some occasions use the longer, and very occasionally I join them for 25m of hose. Both just roll up very small around their connector.

Upvote 0

Richard Stainthorpe

Free Member
Mar 26, 2017
Saltburn by the Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware HB
Exp
Since 2014
We just use a standard hose and have the hose lock connectors, also have a large watering can for when we don’t want to move the van. Never bothered we food grade as we have a 10ltr container which we fill and keep in the motorhome for drinking.

Upvote 0

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
50ft concertina hose attached to 3ft extension hose for filling - various connections as shown by @keithchesterfield2. 10ltr watering can for topping up (we have 135ltr capacity). I have 5ltr and 10ltr collapsible buckets for emptying out if required. Like @tonka, I enjoy the pottering no matter how many "why would you do this or not do that" comments I hear. Just for your info, I don't wear gloves when filling/emptying water, but I do when cleaning out the litter tray :rofl:. Good luck (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I carry an expanding hose from Lidl, only ever used it twice, but it works OK and is fast to use and easy to drain and put away. Food grade? No idea.

I also have a 3 metre hose to fill up next to a tap, and an extra 3 metre hose in case it's on the wrong side of the MH.

The item that makes the most difference is a water filler cap with an inbuilt hose connection. Saves trying to hold the hose in the filler neck, or stuffing the possibly dirty hose down the filler neck to hold it while you turn the water on and off at the tap. When finished, it goes in the box with tho other hose connectors, and the locking cap goes on the tank.
810UN5t2E3L._SL1500_.jpg
Next, a short (30cm) length of hose with a cutoff tap in the middle. Clip onto the filler cap connection, and you don't have to rush back to the tap to turn it off when the tank is full.

If the tap is too far for the hose, I use two 10 litre water containers (easier to carry than one 20 litre), with a short conical spout that screws on the top. I don't remember where I bought them. Germany I think.

If filling more than 20 litres, I have a submersible pump that goes inside a 10-litre container, on a short length of hose that clips onto the tank filler cap. Actually the only pump that would fit into a 10 litre container was a bit under-powered, so I fitted an in-line pump into the hose as well. There's no 12v socket near the filler point (yet) so there's a long wire that goes through the door into a socket inside the MH.

If it's a long way and/or a hot day I can strap the 10 litre containers onto the carrier of a pedal bike on a piece of plywood. With a hose on the tap and the pump gadget at the MH I can fill and empty them without unstrapping them.

The water pump gadget might also be useful for showering the dog, cleaning muddy boots or even washing the windscreen

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have a normal reinforced garden hose cut in to a short and long sections with Hoselock quick release fittings on one end to attach to a tap, if I need to clip them both together I can simply put another Hoselock fitting on the 'bare' end of one and a double 'male' adaptor to connect them together.

I had one of the Heosafe filler connectors but wasn't a fan as it caused problems with our Globecar which vents via the filler point, so made my own 'hook' which I attached to the end of a hose - works a treat. I did see a chap on our last holiday who had a Hoselock connector with a short piece of hose on the end (about 8 inches) which he fed into his water tank and then connected his hose to the fitting with the male adaptor, so that's another option but may only work with tanks that have a long internal filler pipe - it wouldn't work on ours as the filler point is very close to the top of the tank.

We also have 2 x 5L tall and narrow rigid water containers (only 1 shown in photo) and these get used most of the time as it is much easier than messing about with a hosepipe if we only want a bit of water (we tend to keep the tank topped up so don't usually have loads to put in). Having 2 containers means than when walking back from the tap when they're full the weight is evenly distributed on both sides so you are balanced, much easier than a single watering can/large container. We also get a 'chain fill and empty' relay going - person A fills one and passes is to the person B who pours it in the tank in the meantime person A fills the second container by which time person B has finished emptying the first container and they swap containers ... repeat until the tank is full! We also have a 15L collapsible cube but they are a s*d to try to pour into the funnel without getting a shower ... a bit like wrestling with a giant jelly so I just use it half-fill with my kayak to put some ballast in the front end if my dog doesn't want to go out with me.

The benefit of containers with sealing caps is that if you want you can take extra water in them (eg if I'm going to be rinsing my kayak down later) something you can't do with a bucket/watering can etc. I've got lots of different connectors and 2 green funnels (one for using to put water in the tank and if a tap is difficult to access/can't get a container under a second to use with it, also a piece of clear hose with a rubber push on connector on the end which works a treat especially on drinking water fountains. :D Below is an old picture of some of them ... @suavecarve can probably tell you more as he has a fettish for such things and drools over my collection! :LOL:

On our last 2 months holiday we only used each of the hoses once as we prefer our containers.

Some more info/piccies on my website: globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com

water - carriers.jpg
Water - Tap pipe.jpg
Water - funnel 1.JPG
connectors.JPG
DSCF3105.JPG

Upvote 0

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
We have a normal reinforced garden hose cut in to a short and long sections with Hoselock quick release fittings on one end to attach to a tap, if I need to clip them both together I can simply put another Hoselock fitting on the 'bare' end of one and a double 'male' adaptor to connect them together.

I had one of the Heosafe filler connectors but wasn't a fan as it caused problems with our Globecar which vents via the filler point, so made my own 'hook' which I attached to the end of a hose - works a treat. I did see a chap on our last holiday who had a Hoselock connector with a short piece of hose on the end (about 8 inches) which he fed into his water tank and then connected his hose to the fitting with the male adaptor, so that's another option but may only work with tanks that have a long internal filler pipe - it wouldn't work on ours as the filler point is very close to the top of the tank.

We also have 2 x 5L tall and narrow rigid water containers (only 1 shown in photo) and these get used most of the time as it is much easier than messing about with a hosepipe if we only want a bit of water (we tend to keep the tank topped up so don't usually have loads to put in). Having 2 containers means than when walking back from the tap when they're full the weight is evenly distributed on both sides so you are balanced, much easier than a single watering can/large container. We also get a 'chain fill and empty' relay going - person A fills one and passes is to the person B who pours it in the tank in the meantime person A fills the second container by which time person B has finished emptying the first container and they swap containers ... repeat until the tank is full! We also have a 15L collapsible cube but they are a s*d to try to pour into the funnel without getting a shower ... a bit like wrestling with a giant jelly so I just use it half-fill with my kayak to put some ballast in the front end if my dog doesn't want to go out with me.

The benefit of containers with sealing caps is that if you want you can take extra water in them (eg if I'm going to be rinsing my kayak down later) something you can't do with a bucket/watering can etc. I've got lots of different connectors and 2 green funnels (one for using to put water in the tank and if a tap is difficult to access/can't get a container under a second to use with it, also a piece of clear hose with a rubber push on connector on the end which works a treat especially on drinking water fountains. :D Below is an old picture of some of them ... @suavecarve can probably tell you more as he has a fettish for such things and drools over my collection! :LOL:

On our last 2 months holiday we only used each of the hoses once as we prefer our containers.

Some more info/piccies on my website: globecarcampscoutinfo.yolasite.com

View attachment 280323 View attachment 280324 View attachment 280319 View attachment 280331 View attachment 280325
To say i drool over your hosepipe selection collection is an over exageration.
Just because picture number 4 is my screensaver on my new phone does mean i have a fetish and jealousy does not come into it. The mention of an 8 inch male adaptor did however gain my interest and in the interests of knowledge enhancement I have googled this item, but unfortunately fallen foul of the wife who has since checked my internet search history and is currently in a foul mood walking round the house screaming something that sounds like "I have been cheated for 35 years the lieing sod" or words to that effect.

For information, I have one of those increasing hoses and its the 15 metre variety and about a fiver on ebay. I have numerous attachments and even upgraded to brass rather than the plastic which does tend to cross thread. The only aire i suffer with is Nantua where everybody suffers to find a decent non shower fill up. I lso have 2 x 10 litre collapsible buckets, sort of like a nosebag which double up as wine or beer holders to keep the beer cool and prevent the wife making too many journeys back to the fridge as she has to get the frozen grapes (best trick known to man) as well. (Thoughtful arent i?)

Just to reiterate I am not jealous..... at all..... never ever..... and if you look up "hosepipe envy" on the search engine I doubt you will find my name.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back