Let's get Frankie back on the road (1 Viewer)

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
Under UK bribery legislation so-called "facilitation payments" to foreign officials e.g. to speed up approvals are also offences.

I remember being in the Customs hall at Kano international airport, when a Nigerian Customs Officer put out his hand for a "dash" payment to give my suitcase his chalk mark. The amusing part is that I was standing next to a High Court Judge at the time.
Years ago an engineer i knew told me a story about when he went to Nigera to do an installation, part of it was installing a large backup generator, they went to the docks to find out why the generator was still in customs. When he got there, the customs guy took him to where the large crate containg the generator was, and pointed out the printing on the side, it said backup generator 230 Volts 50 Cycles. The customs guy made it quite clear that the crate would be cleared when he receved one of the cycles. After phone call back to his boss in the UK, somebody was sent down to Halfords to buy a nice flashy bike, that was then packed up and sent out by courier, they got their generator 3 days later.

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Years ago an engineer i knew told me a story about when he went to Nigera to do an installation, part of it was installing a large backup generator, they went to the docks to find out why the generator was still in customs. When he got there, the customs guy took him to where the large crate containg the generator was, and pointed out the printing on the side, it said backup generator 230 Volts 50 Cycles. The customs guy made it quite clear that the crate would be cleared when he receved one of the cycles. After phone call back to his boss in the UK, somebody was sent down to Halfords to buy a nice flashy bike, that was then packed up and sent out by courier, they got their generator 3 days later.
Many years ago I and a customer went to Cairo, Egypt to the crisp maker Lay’s part of Pepsi co. My customer was having 3-6 months delays in tools and parts being customs cleared. Special equipment and tools of no use to anyone were being stolen. Causing major problems in my customers contract to fit his life saving fire extinguisher equipment. We sat in a room with all concerned 12-15 people and they were all employed by Pepsi, they actually negotiated between themselves the bribes needed for them to let these goods customs clear and be delivered to site so engineers could do their job, one manager was arguing his bribe needed to be raised by 3%. In the end each person got their agreed bribes and within 48 hours everyone got their money and the goods were delivered. My customer fitted his fire extinguisher equipment, got paid and refused to have any more contracts with Pepsi co., by the way, Cairo is a 3rd world hovel as is Egypt.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Many years ago I and a customer went to Cairo, Egypt to the crisp maker Lay’s part of Pepsi co. My customer was having 3-6 months delays in tools and parts being customs cleared. Special equipment and tools of no use to anyone were being stolen. Causing major problems in my customers contract to fit his life saving fire extinguisher equipment. We sat in a room with all concerned 12-15 people and they were all employed by Pepsi, they actually negotiated between themselves the bribes needed for them to let these goods customs clear and be delivered to site so engineers could do their job, one manager was arguing his bribe needed to be raised by 3%. In the end each person got their agreed bribes and within 48 hours everyone got their money and the goods were delivered. My customer fitted his fire extinguisher equipment, got paid and refused to have any more contracts with Pepsi co., by the way, Cairo is a 3rd world hovel as is Egypt.
Sadly ethic and.business rearly match 😢

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

Corruption in Nigeria was always endemic and low level. It really took off at the start of the oil boom. The major oil companies were willing to throw huge amounts of money at officials and politicians to speed up the award of exploration and drilling licences.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
A friend of mine was operating a fleet of trucks a couple of decades back , on a major infrastructure contract in Nigeria , during a discussion he mentioned that the whole time he was out there they never had a puncture repair. after some expressions of incredulity , he explained if a tyre went down it was just driven until couldn't be driven further , destruction required a new tyre instead of just a repair, another major problem was theft of batteries .

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Étienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp
A friend of mine was operating a fleet of trucks a couple of decades back , on a major infrastructure contract in Nigeria , during a discussion he mentioned that the whole time he was out there they never had a puncture repair. after some expressions of incredulity , he explained if a tyre went down it was just driven until couldn't be driven further , destruction required a new tyre instead of just a repair, another major problem was theft of batteries .
My sister and brother in law were out there for 6 months back in the 70s, he was working on a big construction site building a University, if they needed fuel for the site, they just bribed a tanker driver to deliver to them rather than his true destination, likewise 3 landrovers, just bribed the local dealer, when they arrived they had to spray over another companies logo. In the local police station was a sign, that loosely said, bribery does not necessarily speed up matters but it certainly helps. Although the best sign my sister remembers is circumcisions while you wait (ouch).

Eventually they manage to use a rubber check to pay their workers, then did a runner in the middle of the night to the airport and managed to get the last flight out before a military coup, luckily it went to Tenerife.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Corruption can ruin life for people. One of my old customers was a retired doctor from India. He worked in the NHS for over 30 years but always planned to go back to India when he retired. He had stayed a year and then came back here. He said he couldn't stand the corruption and because he didn't want to pay he couldn't get his house built

Jul 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
swift Kon tiki 794 G
Wait a min??? This is Get ‘Frankie back with Max’s thread, how did it become all about bribery? I followed the post that came through, I had no clue it was anything other than a bribery post.
So let’s get back on track, hey how’s Max, and is it getting welded and a bit of spit and polish? Sorry I went off theme….

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I had the same by all sorts of 'officials' at Algiers airport on frequent business trips before getting out of the airport. I was tipped off by a colleague to ask: "Do you smoke?" and kept half a dozen packs of Marlborough in my briefcase for such occasions.
In the 80's, my Coaches always had a 200 pack of cigarettes placed conveniently on the dash when going into Italy or Yugoslavia.
Coffee money we called it. 😄

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
In the 80's, my Coaches always had a 200 pack of cigarettes placed conveniently on the dash when going into Italy or Yugoslavia.
Coffee money we called it. 😄
Hi.
" Sinner " ( Haulier. :ROFLMAO: ) When ringing in with a problem.... Answer. " Will a Blue 'un fix it ? ". Worked for us.
Tea Bag.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
So let’s get back on track, hey how’s Max, and is it getting welded and a bit of spit and polish? Sorry I went off theme….
Well yes actually . The welder's Boss found it soooo nice inside that he decided to give it a good wash outside and got rid of the moss getting in the way, coz Mummy Frankie was far too busy to take some time for that... I also got told off by the mecanic on the same matter! So indeed that was very much appreciated! For some reason I ignore, everybody in charge of Max is pampering me with extra work/care on Max.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
our poppy lll
Wait a min??? This is Get ‘Frankie back with Max’s thread, how did it become all about bribery?

It's a brilliant part of FUN! I love it this way.

Bribery subject came up because the welder has taken off 20% tax off the quote on the chassis as I could pay in cash which did a big difference, and gave me his word that if anything was going wrong with the chassis he would stand next to me and correct the problem..
I paid the rest with the tax . Direction is too important and can be the reason of a crash if not efficient.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
What happened next.

"The French tax inspectors finally caught up with Yodeli's welder..."

original.jpg

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
What happened next.

"The French tax inspectors finally caught up with Yodeli's welder..."

View attachment 893478
Oh Dear!.... I might whine a bit and ask : "Don't you think I'm short enough?" :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Cause , both of us are elligible to the same ...end!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Oh Dear!.... I might whine a bit and ask : "Don't you think I'm short enough?" :ROFLMAO:

Edit: Cause , both of us are elligible to the same ...end!
If that happens can I have your van as it will be like new :wink: :giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back